Faq About Coal in a Grain or Pellet Stoker???

buickanddeere

Post by buickanddeere » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 3:19 pm

I'm certain it's been asked hundreds of times but..... :?: I'm new and still looking around here for answers. Is there an FAQ or past discussion(s) about using coal or a coal blend :? in a corn and/or biomass stoker burner?

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 3:36 pm

I can't say it has been discussed, but maybe the other way around. Burning corn or pellets in a coal burner maybe. I would say coal burns very hot compared to those other fuels and would likely shorten the lifespan of any burner not specifically made to burn coal.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 3:42 pm

There's potential to burn a mixture of them in a coal stove but not the other way around. The EFM representative mentioned some farmers supplementing the coal with a corn mixture but it's not really designed for that and I'd imagine there will be issues that need to be addressed.

mrboyd

Post by mrboyd » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 5:58 pm

I read something about this here a few weeks back and the reason why you CANNOT burn corn in a coal stove is because it will catch fire and burn all the way up the chute into the hopper giving you a wonderful hopper fire.
Also you have two different flash points with corn versus coal.

BOB

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 6:23 pm

The EFM is auger fed so that cannot happen. It would have to travel through about 8 feet of pipe with an auger in it before it got to the "hopper" so that's not going to happen. The issue that may arise is if the fire burned down into the auger and melted it.

Pictures of a Burned Pipe and Worm Due to Improper Feed/Air

shapps1313

Post by shapps1313 » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 6:36 am

I have been burning rice coal in my Harman P61 pellet stove since Oct 24 of this year and have had no problems up to this point. I realize this is not what this stove was designed for, nor would I recommend doing this if you had a design other than the P61's, meaning an auger/bottom fed burn pot with a myriad of adjustments for feed,stove temp, and the like. I would also NOT do this if the stove was still under warranty. I have had mine for over 7 years so the "Harman Gold 6 year warranty" has expired,for what it was worth. The stove is in the basement of my 2 story home and keeps the basement nice and toasty and the first floor only marginal. I would think that with more work,like air returns cut into the floor or maybe hooking it up directly to my air handler I could keep the whole house nice, but I have yet to do that after 7 years. If you look at the design of the P61 it is almost identical to their previous coal burner called the 44 magnum which had something like a 44k BTU output. I estimate my output accordingly. Also,it depends on your pellet availabilty. I refused to pay $300 a ton for my fuel this year,and none to be had that wasn't already spoken for so I was left with letting sit unused,trying to find a coal stove, or experimenting. I chose the experimenting route. I paid $145 for my first ton of coal ,and will be getting more. I am pleased with my decision. " Your results may vary, no warranty is expressed or implied. Care and feeding is the responsibility of the owner,yadda,yadda,yadda "
Bill

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 9:52 am

Most pellet stoves have a much different feed system than coal consuming appliances

Why doesn't the Harman that you are using jam?

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 3:13 pm

buickanddeere wrote:I'm certain it's been asked hundreds of times but..... :?: I'm new and still looking around here for answers. Is there an FAQ or past discussion(s) about using coal or a coal blend :? in a corn and/or biomass stoker burner?
Aren't you from over there at yesterdays tractors?

efo141

Post by efo141 » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 4:10 pm

My father in laws corn/pellet stove will burn up to 10% rice coal, its in the manual.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 7:11 pm

Can you burn wood pellets in a coal stoker? I would think the feed rates would be different, and probably not as much
heat as burning rice coal, but in a pinch...... :?:

buickanddeere

Post by buickanddeere » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 2:31 pm

Aren't you from over there at yesterdays tractors?
The same ;) .

b&d

btrowe1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal

Post by btrowe1 » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 3:59 pm

I always assumed that tyhe pellet type stoves needed to use a auger tyoe feed,hence the difference in a stoker design, My feed is a paddle type, the dealer I purchased my 140 through recommended the paddle over the auger for burning coal.

shapps1313

Post by shapps1313 » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Sting,
It doesn't jam the auger because the rice coal I am using is just about the same size as the pellets. I just need to make sure I have no large stray pieces of coal in my buckets when I load the stove. As I said I would not recommend this with just any stove. It would have to be something similar to the Harman design. If you check out Harmans web site I believe it shows a side view of the "Pellet pro feeder" which is what mt P61 has. I would also not try this with anything other than anthracite rice coal. Even if the bit coal was small enough I think it would Definitely cause problems,too soft to run thru the auger.
My dad used to have a Gent. Janitor that was auger fed,you could always tell when his coal guy brought him some "Trevorton coal"as my dad put it, it would sulfur up and grind the coal into powder,too soft even for anthracite in the auger feed.
Bill

shapps1313

Post by shapps1313 » Sat. Jan. 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Wow !!!! Did I get an earfull on the hearth.com site. I am sorry that I ever said anything to anyone. I was prepared for some questions and maybe some mild scolding but not the name calling and where's your head you'll kill your family attitude. I am well aware of the dangers we all face burning solid fuel but it takes alot of common sense to do it. And I believe I have enough to know when not to do stupid $#it. So thats it. I will no longer discuss this project with anyone. I did not take any pics,sorry Freddy. I'm gettin' more coal and burnin' her up the rest of the season.
Bill

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Reviving an old thread here.

shapps1313,

How did you make out burning rice in the P61? I just ripped apart my dad's 44 magnum to replace the auger. When I picked up the new auger it was the exact same one they use on the pellet stoves. I was wondering the opposite. Can we burn pellets in his 44 magnum stove if we wanted to?

Why would we want to do this? Well, if we ever had a coal delivery problem here in RI, it's an alternative for us.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”