Are we going to heat with coal???

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. May. 14, 2023 10:05 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. May. 14, 2023 7:52 pm
Not much heat in black walnut. Good for kindling when good and dry.
The wood is free, the saw was free, plus it's all of a size that does not need splitting - so no more sore shoulders. And at that price, it burns plenty hot enough for me. :D

Paul

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. May. 15, 2023 6:37 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. May. 14, 2023 10:05 pm
The wood is free, the saw was free, plus it's all of a size that does not need splitting - so no more sore shoulders. And at that price, it burns plenty hot enough for me. :D

Paul
I know what you're saying, but it's almost worse than box elder.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. May. 15, 2023 9:18 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Mon. May. 15, 2023 6:37 am
I know what you're saying, but it's almost worse than box elder.
In the range it burns and heats very much like other hardwoods. The range has much more heat extracting surface area than wood stoves and even large base heaters. I've burned maple, ash, and oak in this range and the black walnut I cut here burns about as hot and almost as long.

I can't get a long fire in the base heater because the magazine is taking up a lot of space that could be filled with wood. So, I only ran a few hours of the black walnut in that to get a good coating of creosote for rust protection after I had vacuumed out all the coal ash. I don't need the base heater in the shoulder months anyway. The range is enough to heat the place when the temps stay up above freezing.

For the price, this black walnut is tough to beat for just keeping the chill and damp out. ;)

Paul

woodandcoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II
Coal Size/Type: pea and nut
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Resolute

Post by woodandcoal » Mon. May. 15, 2023 10:44 am

This year I burned 1 ton of coal. I only have bins to store that much, I would stockpile more if I had the space but I am looking at another bin just need an accessible place to put it. Had it delivered and it cost $380. Burned 5 cords of wood too. Still cheaper than oil. I have been ramping up my wood burning also my cutting and splitting. Will be getting another load of coal this summer. I also have logs delivered about 5 cords at a time. Usually costs me $60 a cord but then I have to cut and split it myself. A lot of work but I enjoy it and I also look at it as "free" exercise as I try to split much by hand. As of now I am caught up on wood for 23-24 winter and am working on wood for 24-25 winter. Would like 3 years of both wood and coals though.
Have been looking at replacing the oil with a heat pump or even a multi split but they are expensive.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Mon. May. 15, 2023 10:45 am

$200 to $250 is about all im willing to pay for coal and deal with dust an dirt so i will see if it happens next heating season. If Nat gas is still anywhere near its current price ill be using that instead. The wood is just a backup but does provide a lot of cheap heat.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Mon. May. 15, 2023 11:10 am

I get tons of heat in my 3 Cu Ft wood stove from any kind of wood even dry pine. It just burns up quicker than Oak. Which is fine for shoulder season.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. May. 15, 2023 5:05 pm

k-2 wrote:
Mon. May. 15, 2023 10:45 am
$200 to $250 is about all im willing to pay for coal and deal with dust an dirt so i will see if it happens next heating season. If Nat gas is still anywhere near its current price ill be using that instead. The wood is just a backup but does provide a lot of cheap heat.
109.JPG
.JPG | 35.8KB | 109.JPG
K-2 picking up free wood to burn....

k-2

Post by k-2 » Mon. May. 15, 2023 8:10 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Mon. May. 15, 2023 5:05 pm
109.JPG

K-2 picking up free wood to burn....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

k-2

Post by k-2 » Tue. May. 16, 2023 5:11 am

My wood will soon die of old age. I have a bunch of seasoned oak that as seasoned as i am.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Tue. May. 16, 2023 4:47 pm

Blackburn wrote:
Sun. May. 14, 2023 4:08 pm
I sure hope we're going to heat with coal. Some suppliers have just started to cut prices a little, here, which is good news. However, bit coal is now banned completely. We can only burn anthracite or MSF.
========================================================================================================

Hello Blackburn,

It would be a good time to invest in a chinese coal press or an American equivalent press to make coal blocks as the compressed coal blocks apparently burn much cleaner as they can have up to 20 holes in each round block for combustion air to pass through the block.

Blackburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dunsley Highlander
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by Blackburn » Wed. May. 17, 2023 5:53 pm

Tried something similar with sawdust and newspaper. They're not bad blocks, burn for an hour or so, but a lot of messing around for what you get.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Wed. May. 17, 2023 6:26 pm

Were going to be heating with coal tonight since a late freeze will bring 31Degrees. I asked my neighbor why he was planting his garden last week before last frost and he said oh im getting an early start on it. Might be getting another start after tonight.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. May. 17, 2023 7:31 pm

k-2 wrote:
Wed. May. 17, 2023 6:26 pm
Were going to be heating with coal tonight since a late freeze will bring 31Degrees. I asked my neighbor why he was planting his garden last week before last frost and he said oh im getting an early start on it. Might be getting another start after tonight.
Oh, now its cold and someone wants to burn coal instead of wood...
96.JPG
.JPG | 66.1KB | 96.JPG

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. May. 17, 2023 8:35 pm

We had a few snow flakes this morning, I heard the radiators ticking when I came downstairs to make coffee.

Aashi

Post by Aashi » Mon. May. 22, 2023 2:33 pm

oliver power wrote:
Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:14 pm
As much as we all like our coal heat, the prices are getting out of control. That being said, I'm quite sure gas, oil, etc. are all out of control. Everything is out of control........ I will stop there. I'd like to hear other opinions. Been hearing good things about these modern heat pumps.
Hi friend
It's true that rising prices of various heating fuels can be challenging. Exploring alternative options like modern heat pumps might offer more cost-effective and efficient heating solutions. Hearing different perspectives can help make informed decisions.[color=#FFFFFFF]Networth[/color]

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”