Are we going to heat with coal???

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:14 pm

As much as we all like our coal heat, the prices are getting out of control. That being said, I'm quite sure gas, oil, etc. are all out of control. Everything is out of control........ I will stop there. I'd like to hear other opinions. Been hearing good things about these modern heat pumps.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:27 pm

Im installing a Gas system right now with much of it paid for by the gas company. That said im leaving my coal boiler in place. Never know down the road if things will reverse .Should cut my electric bill quite a bit too as i run some space heaters in shoulder season and the HW will also be gas as well as gas stove.
I have about a half ton of coal left and even if gas prices rise i would only use 1 ton a month for the 2 coldest months Jan and Feb.
No telling what will the future bring as thinking ahead is not happening as far as the Govt is concerned. We have to do that all by ourselves. Oil and gas are notorious for boom and bust cycles. Shortages and over supply.
I can also heat his whole 3000 SF house with my woodstove but hopefully it dont come to that. Im prepared.
Last edited by k-2 on Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:31 pm

One way to slow the inflation of energy prices is to stockpile at current price. Can you do that with oil, gas or electric? Not so much....but you can move your son's bedroom to the living room and fill his room with coal!

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:34 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:31 pm
One way to slow the inflation of energy prices is to stockpile at current price. Can you do that with oil, gas or electric? Not so much....but you can move your son's bedroom to the living room and fill his room with coal!
I can do that with wood and the wood is free. I dont want any coal at todays prices.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:46 pm

oliver power wrote:
Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:14 pm
As much as we all like our coal heat, the prices are getting out of control. That being said, I'm quite sure gas, oil, etc. are all out of control.
Nat Gas is at an all time low. Spot prices have been dirt cheap for awhile now. Around $2 Mbtu
I know because i have some Nat gas stock and that also is at an all time low. Last summer it was $10 Mbtu. But like always it wont stay there. A hot summer will drive up the price as so much is now used for generating electric and we are now Exporting LNG.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. May. 14, 2023 1:07 pm

Like everything, these LOW prices might attract many people--then, like coal, they've more less got us by the bls. AND--prices will rise---supply & demand. Oh well, life goes on. Livin day to day on my SS, I'm VERY fortunate that the Creator has put people in my life to help me out come thick or thin. Without them,. I'd probably just head for the back pasture in the dead of winter & just wait. :) From what this old farmer is watchin, this old Country is goin to hell in a hand basket. BUT, I do hope & pray 2024 will see some changes. On the world stage, this Country is currently a joke. :cry: Scott, the powers to be came out here & did a bunch of BS/ evalutation about those heat pumps--with this 200 yr. old farm house bein as broke up that it is--they would never work unless I got 3 of them in different areas--the price was astronomical but they said, in 15 yrs they would of paid for themselves-- hmmmm, at 79---plus the cost, it didn't seem like real good deal!! :roll: :lol:

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. May. 14, 2023 1:24 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:34 pm
I can do that with wood and the wood is free. I dont want any coal at todays prices.
K-2, how long would a 50 foot oak tree provide heat for ? One season, two ?

I got trees and I hate trees. Be happy to chop one down and get it ready for burning for heat.

Use coal and wood ...

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. May. 14, 2023 1:30 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sun. May. 14, 2023 1:24 pm
K-2, how long would a 50 foot oak tree provide heat for ? One season, two ?
I got trees and I hate trees. Be happy to chop one down and get it ready for burning for heat.
Use coal and wood ...
Most of my heating wood is reclaimed from rehabbing old houses so its been drying for 100 years. And i have to do something with it. I also have some from chopping down dead tree on my property but that i have to split and dry ,more work.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. May. 14, 2023 1:59 pm

Like some I'm re-thinking about using wood in the shoulder months.

Normally I'd still be using coal this time of year - for cooking and keeping the chill and dampness out of the house. However, thanks to squirrels my place is now overgrown with black walnut saplings. They grow like weeds here. Melissa got me one of those 8 inch cordless one-hand chain saws. I've used cordless tools for decades, but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly this one goes though up to 6 inch saplings and how long the battery charge lasts. Filled a wheel barrel full of stove length wood in less than an hour and the first battery of two in the kit is still going strong.

And at about $10.00 a day worth of coal just for one of my two stoves, free wood and easier cutting/handling make the prospect of using wood look much better. ;)

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. May. 14, 2023 2:56 pm

I used 14 bags this year and less than 3 cords of ash but it was real warm. This spring I bought a ton of coal and already have 3 cord cut, another cord left to cut, then I either need to find somewhere new to cut wood or switch back to coal or propane. It is what it is. Im just glad I have an honest coal dealer and Im still able to cut wood. I may buy another ton of coal later this year. I'll re-evaluate a year from now. Rolling with the flow here... Im trying not to be gloomy but its hard sometimes.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. May. 14, 2023 2:56 pm

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/cs1500-self-sha ... w/p/603352

I have both gas and electric chain saws. This is the electric one ^

Very happy with the saw, its 18" so it will cut through all I needed to cut when I took down a 50 foot oak tree. It can use its Oregon self sharpening chain and standard chains. I just put standard chain on it because I have them and they are cheaper. The self-sharpening system seems to work as I did use it.

The small chain saws can have their work done by branch cutters that are manual which I what I cut 1 1/5" saplings and small trimming jobs.

The wifey uses a 8" chain saw, electric. Usually having me put the blade back on and adj. it when needed and sharpen the chain.

Blackburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dunsley Highlander
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by Blackburn » Sun. May. 14, 2023 4:08 pm

I sure hope we're going to heat with coal. Some suppliers have just started to cut prices a little, here, which is good news. However, bit coal is now banned completely. We can only burn anthracite or MSF.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. May. 14, 2023 7:52 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. May. 14, 2023 1:59 pm
Like some I'm re-thinking about using wood in the shoulder months.

Normally I'd still be using coal this time of year - for cooking and keeping the chill and dampness out of the house. However, thanks to squirrels my place is now overgrown with black walnut saplings. They grow like weeds here. Melissa got me one of those 8 inch cordless one-hand chain saws. I've used cordless tools for decades, but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly this one goes though up to 6 inch saplings and how long the battery charge lasts. Filled a wheel barrel full of stove length wood in less than an hour and the first battery of two in the kit is still going strong.

And at about $10.00 a day worth of coal just for one of my two stoves, free wood and easier cutting/handling make the prospect of using wood look much better. ;)

Paul
Not much heat in black walnut. Good for kindling when good and dry.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. May. 14, 2023 8:36 pm

Nope…can’t and won’t do it.

I’ll add more insulation and I’ll use coal…wood if I have to.

My in-laws have had 3 modern heat pumps …check that…4 modern heat pumps and three have went bad. Add the cost of those up!!

You still freeze when it gets cold.

No way!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. May. 14, 2023 9:29 pm

oliver power wrote:
Sun. May. 14, 2023 12:14 pm
As much as we all like our coal heat, the prices are getting out of control. That being said, I'm quite sure gas, oil, etc. are all out of control. Everything is out of control........ I will stop there. I'd like to hear other opinions. Been hearing good things about these modern heat pumps.
I called around last week and the price of coal was down $30 per ton from March. At last things are going in the right direction. Heating oil is down also, I just saw a prebuy offer for $2.99.

Good heat pumps with a good installation do work well in a tight house. I know a man that remodeled a house last year and just heated it through the entire winter with just heat pumps. He was very happy with the comfort level and operating cost. The house is extremely well insulated, nothing like the leak boxes many of us our heating.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”