Freddy's Coffee House 28Jan2023

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 5:22 am

Warmest Of Greetings,Warmest Of Welcomes To Freddy's Coffee House..!!
Join with myself and "Our Faithful Galley Crew" as We closeout the month of January,right here..!! The last Saturday of the Winter Month of January rings like a bell to me. We're knockin' down "Ol' Man Winter",and We're setting Our Sights at plowing into Our shortest Calendar Month of 2023. For some Folks,this is a tough time,for Others,not so much. The Good News? We put it all together when We gather right here..!! Usually,at this time of Year,Folks will be in here talking about "Old School Spring Things". Ya' know,boring jazz like Seed & Nursery Stock Catalogues,the impending Maple Sap Gathering for Syrup,and maybe a Baby Chick order or two.
Whatever "Floats Your Boat",feel free to gather,slug down some of the "Finest Coffee Ever",and enjoy..!!
Oh,I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Our Founder Freddy's sage Ol' Departure Greeting:"Forward We Go,And Don't Forget To Hug Your Loved Ones!!"
Later,My Good Friends...

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 5:43 am

What a glorious and wonderful start to the day. Thanks Bob!

I've been looking 2 years now for a replacement plow for Scotty. 9 foot Fishers seem to be a rare commodity. This last week Two came up for sale. Both used well, but much much better than the loose pin rust hole that Scotty's using now. One was close by & $1,800..... the other about 75 miles away & $800. They both sold yesterday.... Debbie and I took a long drive. Woohoo! Now.... scrape & paint, scrape & paint.

Hope you're all staying cozy warm. Groundhogs day is close.... that's the halfway point of the heating season around here. Same where you are?

Take care all.

Attachments

20230127_161408[1].jpg
.JPG | 395KB | 20230127_161408[1].jpg

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 6:50 am

Mornin'
Thank you, HB.....good, hot coffee....yes, Winter's half-way mark comin' up this week........we have maybe 4" snow on the ground and a few real cold days, but, the daylight hours are getting longer.......been a good Winter, so far!!!
Freddy- good looking plow at a decent price-WOW!!!! By the looks of your snow banks beside the JD, the plow will get a workout!!.......More football Sunday.....take care guys/gals.
Cheers

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 6:50 am

Spring's can bring the worst to come. Snow has been falling here this week here in the mountains.

Attachments

2023-01-28 06.37.33.jpg
.JPG | 372KB | 2023-01-28 06.37.33.jpg

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 7:05 am

Geeeeze… look who just come in the door… don’t thrown any cups or plates at him please even if he is a little bit strange.

I have chosen today to make my courageous return to the coal forum and please accept my apology for the hiatus. Life threw me a few curve balls that I had some trouble handling and this isn’t the only place I disappeared from completely for the last two years. Things have just been incredibly busy here to say the least and we are trying to settle into an even different rhythm now.

Dad died very unexpectedly last May at only 67 years old. He was the 3rd partner in the family trucking business and coal yard here, and still one hell of a worker. Tadd and I had to make the decision to continue onward or totally drop a 4th generation that reaches across 108 years. After downsizing and selling some tri-axle dumps that will no longer be needed and upgrading a piece of equipment or two, I am pleased to tell you that W.L. Hall Lime and Coal will be around for years to come and still supplying our customers with high-grade anthracite and bituminous coals. We are still learning to manage the manpower with just the two of us here now and the days are very long at times but so far it has gone very well.

In other news, Brittany and the boys are doing well. Dolan is 7 and Silas is 5 now and both attending a small private Christian school across the mountain. Brittany only stands about 5’4” and a good gust of wind would blow her away but she is a total workhorse… she not only handles the daily Secretary duties here but also follows me around on coal deliveries to help. She can barely see over the steering wheel of that 550 Ford truck, but she is not afraid to get her hands dirty and even enjoys it for a change of pace. My mother is probably doing about as well as she possibly could considering all she has been through.

So here we go. Save me a seat and I will try to check in as often as I can. I’ve been reading back through some of the last weeks and was grateful to see the same crew hanging out here as always. Have a great week!

Attachments

855E762B-B062-45D4-B9F4-95B37C0B5FF2.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.5MB | 855E762B-B062-45D4-B9F4-95B37C0B5FF2.jpeg

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 7:37 am

Nice picture! Sorry for your loss. Get.them boys a shovel. Tell them they have.to learn that before they can drive the loader. Good luck in your endeavors.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 7:47 am

Thanx HB---damn good to see ya Tyler!!! :) Got a brake line go on my road truck went. Not much fun with just rear brakes workin!!! :( Purty H. Mornin D. Sooooo, gotta head out to my buddy's & get that fixed. Great deal on the plow Freddy. That & recycle is it for today. Enjoy people.

kcarr
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA-600 Custom & Probably the only guy in America with my Stoker Boiler in my Den.
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil as back up, mostly used for summer domestic hot water

Post by kcarr » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 7:52 am

Hi Tyler,
It's great to have you back at the forum. We sure missed ya...
hope you can stay with us.
My condolences to you upon the loss of your Dad.
Good luck on the business continuation, you'll do just fine.
Ken

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 8:06 am

Wow!! Simply Wow..!! Most times I simply help out here by either "kicking da' door in" or backing up the "Good Coffee Samaritan" that beat me to it..!! The goal is to set the table,get You Guys started,and let the camaraderie roll without alot of aftercomment by me. Well,today sorta' changed that temporarily..!! To get an early blast from Freddy and Coal Jockey,well,that blew da' bottom right out of this day..!! Now don't get me wrong,Our "Usual Loyal Legion" of Coffee Drinkers always sets it right in here. However to have those two other Aforementioned Wranglers show up just had to be acknowledged..!! Now let's see if I can aquire a Stroke this weekend by having Jack,Buffalo Bob and that "Now Famous Cancer Attack Ninja Terry(Coalkirk) surface like an "SSN" (Ya' Know,You Undersea Types "Let's Put Her On Da' Roof")!! Whoo-Whee!!
Last edited by Hambden Bob on Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 8:14 am

I'm sorry HB, but I just don't understand your accent. :lol:

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 8:54 am

WOW, is right HB!

Tyler and Ken Karr, welcome back! I haven't heard from either one of you for a while.

Almost at the halfway point of Winter and I can't remember seeing one flake of snow down here. Good thing too, the 4x4 New Old Truck that you guys helped find and decide to buy last year met the back of a newer truck with disasterous results.
20230125_095836.jpg
.JPG | 295.4KB | 20230125_095836.jpg
20230125_095907.jpg
.JPG | 265KB | 20230125_095907.jpg
Its at the body shop now. They say its fixable, but it won't be cheap. Still it will be cheaper than trying to find another rust free New Old Truck.

Have a good weekend all!
-Don

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 9:14 am

Dang, Im late for the party! Nice big plow Freddy! Pretty pic Handfire! Nice to hear from you again CJockey and Im sorry for your loss! Good luck with your truck Stoker!

Quite cold here and supposed to snow. Oh well. Thats why they call it winter. I think its a music day here other than blowing some snow later. Pass the bacon...

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Jan. 28, 2023 11:03 am

Great coffee again HB :D , Nice to hear form you Tyler, sorry for the loss of your father and we are all glad to hear your keeping the family business going, you definitely have his work ethic your dad is proud of you :yes: .
Not much going today just finished up step one on the camper solar project, ran the 2/0 wire from the batteries to the buss bars and installed the outdoor kitchen fridge inverter( I am going to change the plug when I get the new one as I don't like the sharp bend in the wire) and some other wiring for the next step now I need to put together the system for the rest of it.
No camping until mid February as work calls for this next weekend :| but overtime is good for buying toys :) . I hope everyone has a good weekend and upcoming week.
IMG_9305.jpeg
.JPEG | 709.9KB | IMG_9305.jpeg
IMG_9307.jpeg
.JPEG | 751.7KB | IMG_9307.jpeg

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Jan. 30, 2023 6:00 pm

Sorry to hear that, Tyler. I thought my mom was young at 72, but 67... that's a real kick in the nuts. We're coming up on 5 years since she's been gone. Glad you got the company situated for a great future. You've got some NICE equipment there I see!

Crap, Don! That's the same truck as mine! I've got an '07 Silverado. They're built like friggin beer cans! Pathetic metals they use today.

Tis the season! My wife got cranked in the rear quarter just 2 miles from home in early December. Just finally got the insurance check for that. Now to get the Vulva ... err ... VOLVO repaired. We're getting a rental out of it, too, since it was no fault of our own. What a HUGE PITA though! Back and forth with insurance. First they offered us something so low I laughed in the guy's face! Went back and forth a few times & ended up with almost double the original offer & kept the car, too. I bought another 940 with the intent of dumping our current one ... but this one ended up a rotbox, and a mechanical mess, with no sunroof and cloth seats vs. leather. As soon as I loaded it (see vid), the half-assed air dam tore off the front! I had to rig that before I could even get the car on the trailer! I'm a terrible car buyer. Paid WAY too much. Went up in a blizzard, which covered up a lot of the rust and bad front end components. Has a bad rack, bad sway bar end link, rot holes all through the rocker on the passenger side, crap exhaust, crap Maaco paint job - they went right over the old paint WITHOUT SANDING!! ... etc.. I'll be lucky to get 2/3rds of my cash back on this toilet. I did too many drugs over the course of my youth, apparently!! The bright side is I was able to steal the newer brakes off it, along with the right rear caliper (coated, too as an added bonus), and the wheels, which were immaculate for their age, and swap them all over to ours! Our winter wheels were all road-rashed from a previous teen driver of our parts Volvo. I might steal the cluster (lower miles, and speedometer/odometer WORKS), and floor shifter, too, so it wasn't a complete screw job. Naturally, I snapped off a rear caliper bolt on OUR vehicle while swapping brakes!! WTF! That took 2 days to fix. Glad I have a parts car here too, in addition to these 2. Grabbed another bolt out of that one, along with some decent pads to throw in the new one. I'll make it work one way or the other. The cash we got from insurance will soften the blow a bit. I'll end up coming out ahead for once! Imagine that, lol.

If it wasn't for automobiles, I'd be a friggin millionaire by now ... :what:

In other news, I got a start date the middle of next month for the new job, so I passed the background check and all that crap. My wild youth is starting to become the distant past, so that works in my favor. :D

Had my first outfire last week! Forgot to feed her again! I need a bigger barrel, lol.

Looks like we've got the first real test of our heating equipment coming up at the end of the week. Forecast is saying -3° and -5° Friday and Saturday mornings. Then back up to the 40's again. I'll take it. Only 6 more weeks of this crap, and things will begin changing for the better. I think I can make it! :yes:

OH .. and I FINALLY got that damned '96 Taaah-hussy (Tahoe) out of here!! Ended up being a bad ICM (ignition control module), WTF!! Thing just happened to take a dump while in the process of timing the new distributor! I'll tell ya, I am a CURSE for automotive problems! I get all the worst of the worst! Things happen for a reason I figure, and that gave me the push I needed to start a new career. I was getting burnt out anyway. Just took this kick in the crotch to make me fully aware of that!

Enjoy!
.MP4 | 122.9MB | GRMN0360.mp4

IMG_7599.jpeg
.JPEG | 384.5KB | IMG_7599.jpeg
IMG_7598.jpeg
.JPEG | 344.9KB | IMG_7598.jpeg
IMG_7597.jpeg
.JPEG | 568.5KB | IMG_7597.jpeg
IMG_7590.jpeg
.JPEG | 800.5KB | IMG_7590.jpeg
IMG_7594.jpeg
.JPEG | 262KB | IMG_7594.jpeg
IMG_7554.jpeg
.JPEG | 600.2KB | IMG_7554.jpeg
IMG_7576.jpeg
.JPEG | 484.4KB | IMG_7576.jpeg
IMG_7600.jpeg
.JPEG | 270.1KB | IMG_7600.jpeg
IMG_7640.jpeg
.JPEG | 519.7KB | IMG_7640.jpeg
IMG_7627.jpeg

Won't have to worry about THIS for a few days anyway! I'm on it!!

.JPEG | 451.1KB | IMG_7627.jpeg

Return to “The Coffee House”