Could use help in picking a new stoker with direct vent.

Proche98
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker bay window
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Proche98 » Wed. Dec. 21, 2022 8:36 pm

Hello everyone! I have a keystoker bay window that has been nothing short of awesome. Long story short I sold my house in southeast NY and my bay window is in storage. I am in the process of building a new home in CT. Plans are for 2400 square ft colonial with a finished basement. So around 3600 if you count the basement.The main hvac will be heated with propane. House will be spray foamed throughout and zip board instead of tyvec. My plan was to put my bay window in the basement and add a new direct vent 105k btu stoker on the main floor. Originally I was gonna go with a chubby but I don't want to get 2 types of coal and it doesn't put out enough to heat the whole house. I've also had great luck with my bay window direct vent so i want to go tried and true. Is 105k overkill? Should I sell the bay window and put the 105 in the basement? Will it be enough? Any other manufacturer recommendations?

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Dec. 24, 2022 5:33 pm

My Hitzer 503 heats my 2400 sq ft house without the basement being heated.

The 503 is similar to heat output as your stove. Its 80K BTU.

I think your plan for a 105K and the 76K BTU stoves would certainly work. A single boiler system might be considered with a zone in the basement.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sun. Dec. 25, 2022 6:34 am

If it were me I would consider putting it in its own building outside close to the house. I would want a multi-fuel system so I wouldn't be dependent on any particular type of fuel. The nice thing about outside is all your fuel generally comes from outside and your ash ends up there also. Bringing it inside so it can go back outside seems like extra work. I know some towns are against outdoor boilers. Maybe a separate room attached to your house with its own door. I just think it would be way better to keep everything confined to one area. Imagine a coal bin and a boiler room. Open the door and shovel a couple scoops into the boiler.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Dec. 25, 2022 11:52 am

why not install a coal boiler with radiant heat? all stoves do is move hot air around, not efficient. I'm heating the house and the shop and all the hot water for what i was just heating the house with on most days.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Dec. 25, 2022 12:44 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Sun. Dec. 25, 2022 11:52 am
why not install a coal boiler with radiant heat? all stoves do is move hot air around, not efficient. I'm heating the house and the shop and all the hot water for what i was just heating the house with on most days.
When ya got a keystoker bay window, all your heating problems are keystoker bay window problems !

Mitch
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line AK-110
Other Heating: A pack of matches and a Hitzer 50-93

Post by Mitch » Sun. Jan. 01, 2023 3:07 am

I installed a Leisureline AK-110 with a direct vent after having to take down my chimney bc of putting in a new foundation. It runs really well in the setup that I have. I have an old farm house in Ohio and recently we had -12F and the temp on the thermostat didn't move. The direct vent is on it's 2nd year and does a good job. It just needs cleaned at least 3 times a year in the setup that I have to run safely in my view. I'll share a picture of the vent.

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Sun. Jan. 01, 2023 3:07 am

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Sun. Jan. 01, 2023 3:11 am

If I had to do it again and had more money to play with ten I would have gone radiant, but you have live within your means.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”