New heating system should I get rid of coal?

Soccer918843

Post by Soccer918843 » Mon. Oct. 03, 2022 8:24 pm

Last few years I heated my house with a hitzer 608 stoker with a power vent in my basement. Supplemented the upstairs with a harman pellet stove. I have a Harman dvc 500 in my 1800 sq ft garage.
This summer I added Fujitsu low ambient mini split heat pumps to the entire house and a large one for the garage to heat and cool.
When I work I work 16 hour days and my wife is not fully trained on the coal yet. Besides dumping the bins if there is ever a problem which I’ve had a few with the stokers she doesn’t know how to fix or properly shut down. And the garage I typically only like to turn it up when I’m gonna be out there a while so I’m thinking coal may not be the way to go for out there. I live in upstate ny not near any coal mines and it was over $500 a ton this year and getting harder and harder to get none stocks it and has to be ordered the year ahead.
So I’m between just keeping what I have but the noise from the power vent and blowers and feeder vibrations ect is getting old so I was thinking of maybe a hand fed stove but I don’t know how long of burns you get or the maintenance that’s involved with my long hours. Or just putting another harman pellet stove in. That automatically kicks on and off.
What would you do? Thanks

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 03, 2022 8:39 pm

Minisplits are nice, but you still need something to heat your house when it is bitter cold. Lots of heat pumps have significantly reduced output below 0F, and most stop producing heat entirely at a certain temperature. A hand-fed stove is a good option if you are around to tend to it every 12 hours - which you are not by the sounds of it.

I am not sure why you are having such a hard time finding coal. Maybe there are not many dealers right in Massena, but there used to be plenty in Potsdam and Malone. If it really is that hard to find a pellet stove might be the way to go.

Soccer918843

Post by Soccer918843 » Mon. Oct. 03, 2022 8:58 pm

Yes pretty much every dealer in malone and potsdam have pulled out in the last couple years.
The Fujitsu is supposed to be the best for cold heating we have them at work the regular units not the low ambient ones work fine at work in -30. But I’m sure there not efficent to run that cold. I still would def have a secondary heat source just wondering if coal is still the right way to go

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 5:56 am

Soccer918843 wrote:
Mon. Oct. 03, 2022 8:58 pm
I still would def have a secondary heat source just wondering if coal is still the right way to go
If you aren't home much and your wife doesn't want to mess with coal - I would say no. I would see how the mini-splits do this winter and make a decision on the backup system in the spring.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 9:38 pm

As long as your wife can load the pellet stove, that sounds like your best option. A back up that can be tended by someone at home.

lgilkes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman DVC, Keystoker Koker, EFM-AF, EFM-520 Boiler

Post by lgilkes » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 10:39 am

I would see if, if you could rent a truck and pick up coal from a breaker in PA.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 10:38 pm

A buddy tried talking me into mini splits. I looked into them. All the ones I’ve looked into heat by electric - they are aided by electric and once the temp gets too low they only operate off electric.
My house was all electric. And the bill was astronomical. Coal prices have skyrocketed and coal being the cheapest is gone. For me, I can heat my house to 80 with 3 tons. Even with the increase I can keep my house a lot warmer for the same money.
Personally with your choices of stoves I can only comment on the 608. I had one. It was an awesome stove it heated my garage perfectly. And it was able to be idled really really low when little to no heat was called for.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Mon. Oct. 10, 2022 8:38 am

In the past I have had coal that would burn for up to 4 days. Not really producing much heat but I could come home from a trip and the stove was still warm. It seems like all my latest coal which is Baschak goes out if I try that so electric heat is what I use for shoulder months. A mini split can heat down to -10 or 15 without resistance heat strips if the best brands are sourced. Problem is the COP drops off at these temperatures.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Mon. Oct. 31, 2022 7:10 am

No reason the wife can't be taught to tend a stove..geez what a world. Maybe I'm lucky as my wife learned and can do stuff like that.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Nov. 03, 2022 2:41 pm

If I was you I might look into a wood stove with a catalytic converter for heating or backup heating. The downside is handling wood. The plus side is its cheaper than coal and the stove doesn’t require electricity to operate during a power outage. Stoves like the Blaze king can be stuffed full and burn over 24 hours at a moderate heat output. Like you, coal is not economic for me this year and I live in PA. :no1: At least overseas is benefitting from our natural resources :yes:

Sylvesterd101
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut, anthracite

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Sat. Nov. 05, 2022 10:21 am

BlackBetty06 wrote:
Thu. Nov. 03, 2022 2:41 pm
If I was you I might look into a wood stove with a catalytic converter for heating or backup heating. The downside is handling wood. The plus side is its cheaper than coal and the stove doesn’t require electricity to operate during a power outage. Stoves like the Blaze king can be stuffed full and burn over 24 hours at a moderate heat output. Like you, coal is not economic for me this year and I live in PA. :no1: At least overseas is benefitting from our natural resources :yes:
you aint kidding, imagine living in PA and coal not being financially viable LOL

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Nov. 05, 2022 1:43 pm

Sylvesterd101 wrote:
Sat. Nov. 05, 2022 10:21 am
you aint kidding, imagine living in PA and coal not being financially viable LOL
OP lives in upstate New York.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sat. Nov. 05, 2022 2:57 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Nov. 05, 2022 1:43 pm
OP lives in upstate New York.
I think he was referring to me saying about how coal isn’t economical for me in Pennsylvania let alone upstate New York.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Nov. 05, 2022 3:23 pm

BlackBetty06 wrote:
Sat. Nov. 05, 2022 2:57 pm
I think he was referring to me saying about how coal isn’t economical for me in Pennsylvania let alone upstate New York.
👍 Dawned on me about the same time I hit submit.

stevesg

Post by stevesg » Thu. Aug. 31, 2023 7:33 pm

I had a heat pump contractor come in today - honest guy - he's been adding heat pumps for years. I had him look at my coal furnace (Woodchuck) that I've had for 30 years. I told him how warm it is in my house when it's 10 degrees out. He told me the heat pumps will have a hard time warming the house in January/February, and that most homes have a 2nd heating source. I told him that I just want to have one heating source. Plus, he also mentioned that my electric bill will be three times the amount in the winter. This is Massachusetts, the electric rates are high here. So, he basically talked me out of a heat pump. Interesting.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”