Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Aug. 03, 2022 8:21 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Wed. Aug. 03, 2022 8:18 pm
Never heard this before, can you cite anything (just for my curiosity, not because I don't believe you).
Everything emits radiation. How much is the issue.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Aug. 03, 2022 8:56 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Wed. Aug. 03, 2022 5:49 pm
is nuclear different?
It's different because of the magnitude of the consequences. The only thing that will fix Chernobyl is time, thousands of years. I realize the risk here in the US is almost negligible but it's not eliminated.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Aug. 03, 2022 9:09 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Never heard this before, can you cite anything (just for my curiosity, not because I don't believe you).
You can look at a source like this:

Coal Ash Is More Radioactive Than Nuclear Waste

Be very careful to read the addendums at the end. Back in the real world if you look up charts for average radiation exposure there will typically be a section labeled less that 1% that includes a few sources one of which is burning coal.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Aug. 03, 2022 9:26 pm

Im sure the nuclear power plants are a terrorist or even a mental persons target so it doesnt just take a mistake to become a disaster. Safeguards and security can fail. And a mistake that cant be fixed easily.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Wed. Aug. 03, 2022 11:02 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Aug. 03, 2022 6:36 pm
Every other form of energy has killed more people than nuclear energy.
Paul
For all the scare tactics ,the record is quite good.
3Mile Island deaths :ZERO
Fukushima deaths:1
Chernobyl deaths: 31

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 12:06 am

Retro_Origin wrote:
Back when I lived on Long Island, it was brought out during a public meeting I attended. The info was from a rep of LILCO (the former Long Island Lighting Co) discussing the Shorham LI power plant under construction back then. The meeting was in response to all the negative press of the time that was based heavily on misinformation about US nuclear power plants.

Was also confirmed to me by my then brother-in-law who was a metallurgist for Combustion Engineers in Connecticut - a company that builds reactors.

It was an open to the public meeting. Many local politicians were personally invited. But NOT ONE person opposed to the plant showed up to voice their opposition.

One other thing mentioned at that meeting was the 3 Mile Island radioactive steam release. The newspapers played it up to be a big disaster, which paniced many people back then, but the actual amount of radiation exposer to people down wind was the same as getting a yearly Doctor's Office chest x-ray.

You can google granite radiation. It's low, but in the huge quantities of granite in lower Manhattan buildings it's more radiation than you'd receive from a much longer exposer at a US nuclear power plant.

Nuclear power plants are so well shielded and monitored that, ironically, coal fired power plant have higher radiation levels.
https://www.ne.anl.gov/pdfs/NuclearEnergyFAQ.pdf# ... 0radiation.

You can also Google radiation levels at higher altitudes. There's a lot of info about it. Here is just one of many. https://www.epa.gov/radtown/cosmic-radiation

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 5:46 am

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Aug. 03, 2022 9:26 pm
Im sure the nuclear power plants are a terrorist or even a mental persons target so it doesnt just take a mistake to become a disaster.
Have you ever seen how the containment buildings are built here in the US? It's one of the reasons for the high cost. Don't quote me on this but the containment walls are around 5 five thick, the rebar is like 2 inches on a one foot squared grid. I don't know the exact specs but it's something along those lines.

I'm not saying someone couldn't come up with some ingenious plan but attacking it from the outside is not an easy task.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 5:53 am

k-2 wrote:
Wed. Aug. 03, 2022 11:02 pm
Chernobyl deaths: 31
Far more people died than 31, both short term and long term. A lot of the helicopter pilots for example were dead in a few years. You can never come up with number.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 7:19 am

They get a lower dose per year than aircraft flight crews.

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 8:59 am

Richard S. wrote:
Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 5:46 am
Have you ever seen how the containment buildings are built here in the US? It's one of the reasons for the high cost. Don't quote me on this but the containment walls are around 5 five thick, the rebar is like 2 inches on a one foot squared grid. I don't know the exact specs but it's something along those lines.

I'm not saying someone couldn't come up with some ingenious plan but attacking it from the outside is not an easy task.
Yup, I was at the demo of Ct. Yankee Nuke plant dome. They took it down from the bottom with rock busting hammers mounted on two, or three, Cat excavators. Big job, it was fun to see that dome drop 10' at a time .

k-2

Post by k-2 » Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 10:18 am

Richard S. wrote:
Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 5:53 am
Far more people died than 31, both short term and long term. A lot of the helicopter pilots for example were dead in a few years. You can never come up with number.
Thats what i thought i until i researched it. This from IAEA :"With the caveat that no loss of human life should be considered acceptable, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) states that 31 people died in the three months following the Chernobyl accident. Two of these deaths were due to the initial explosion, while the remaining 29 were first responders who succumbed to acute radiation sickness (ARS)."
But even if it were many more ,its dwarfed by the other energy deaths. When i worked in a deep mine in 1978, 9 guys died in just the 2 yrs i was there from a single cave-in. Not counting all the black lung cases industry wide which my father was one. Your odds of dying related to any one of the other energy production sources are vastly greater. Even solar (falling off roofs and electrocution)and windmill construction and maintenance causes lots of deaths.
Last edited by k-2 on Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 10:40 am

I tried to look up your odds of dying from a nuclear meltdown or accident but i couldnt find it. Some obscure causes are listed as too few to rate. So few they cant even come up with a number.
If anyone can find it please list it and post a link. You would think this would be the most
important consideration when deciding to build or not to build one.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 11:34 am

The odds of you getting killed by running down the stairs with scissors are 1 in 118,000,000

k-2

Post by k-2 » Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 12:21 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 11:34 am
The odds of you getting killed by running down the stairs with scissors are 1 in 118,000,000
:)
Id guess your odds of getting killed by a flying toilet are much greater than a dying from a Nuclear power plant accident. Nuclear bomb is a another story altogether.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Aug. 04, 2022 12:43 pm

Bathtubs kill far more people each year than all the US nuclear reactors have in total of 60 years.

Paul

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”