Farm the Sun... And have crops too...

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Wed. Apr. 06, 2022 11:41 pm

Lancaster PA ... Make the farm produce 2+ crops....

Take it a step further and harvest more dollars...

https://www.google.com/search?q=with+crops+undern ... nt=gws-wiz

13,000 acre project going in Indiana with some power going to PJM Interconnect.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/environment/2 ... 529759002/

We need hundreds more of these to improve life....

BigBarney

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 1:36 am

waste of good land !!!!!!!!!!!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 8:35 am

B, ya got any on your land????????????????? Orrrr, willing to do that?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 8:37 am

You already posted about this before BB. But I guess you have 10 posts about everything electric.

Dont even get me started about using good farmland for solar farms. Wind maybe but not solar. Solar belongs in yards, roofs, land not tilled or poor farmland, pastures. I dont have a problem with a farmer paying the whole bill to put it on his own cropland but that rarely happens, at least not here.

Here they are renting farmland that is owned by people that live 100 miles away and filling it with solar panels that locals have to look at, slowing drainage of other farms, taking land away from local farmers that were renting it and growing food on it, making a living. The money is 100% leaving the local area instead of staying here.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 8:58 am

It's the same out this way W--these conglomerates just don't give a sht much like BB--course I don't believe he has enough land to do nothing but reap the benefits--on other peoples dime!!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 9:14 am

freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 8:35 am
B, ya got any on your land????????????????? Orrrr, willing to do that?
I don't see it happening.

Been pushing how long for all electric energy while heating a house with coal because local electric rates are ridiculously high ( 4 times what mine and many other NY-er's rates are) ?

Sinks money into expensive EV's, thus adding more load to the grid instead of investing in home solar to reduce cost and grid load.

Wants others to put solar on their land so his rates go down ?

Just wondering, how many solar panels could you have for the cost of a new "long range" Tesla ? :baby:

Paul

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 9:22 am

warminmn wrote:
Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 8:37 am

Don't even get me started about using good farmland for solar farms. Wind maybe but not solar. Solar belongs in yards, roofs, land not tilled or poor farmland, pastures.
There are a lot of wind turbines in my area. They are there because of subsidies, and politicians being invested in the wind power companies. There is another problem with wind that no one talks about - for every megawatt of wind power you have in the mix, you need a megawatt of NG power ready to step in when the wind power drops off.

As for solar panels on tillable acres, I agree that it is a ridiculous practice. If someone wants to do it with their own money, fine - but if it is being done only to get grants/subsidies it is smoke and mirrors.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 10:08 am

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 9:22 am
There are a lot of wind turbines in my area. They are there because of subsidies, and politicians being invested in the wind power companies. There is another problem with wind that no one talks about - for every megawatt of wind power you have in the mix, you need a megawatt of NG power ready to step in when the wind power drops off.

As for solar panels on tillable acres, I agree that it is a ridiculous practice. If someone wants to do it with their own money, fine - but if it is being done only to get grants/subsidies it is smoke and mirrors.
I very much dislike windmills also, but they waste much less farmland for the power they put out. I will be surrounded by both forms in 2 years. Eyesores are what they are.

Some day I will look up the MW each are supposed to put out in my location and post them. It pretty much proves how stupid solar panels on farmland are in my area (other states maybe better). Windmills, as much as I dislike them, some local farmers will get an income from them, solar they wont, except for maintanance and those people are not farmers, the backbone of my neighborhood or any other rural farming community.

200 bushels an acre is not a super great corn crop here. 100 acres wasted on solar is more than 20,000 less bushels of corn to feed. (over $100,000 value).

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 11:27 am

Hopefully not to far off topic--BUT--they're pushin this high speed sht. up here & neighbors from NJ of course, HAD to have it--cable had to run through my lower pasture--SOOOO, they ran it & I already have a very taught, high elec. cable there--they left about a 6' sag which I couldn't even to get a dump truck (extended) under it--So, bein the nice guy I am--I told them if they didn't raise it--A LOT--I'd shoot the fckr down--needless to say they raised it around 4'--still looks like sht!!! People just don't get why we live way off the beatin path!!!!!!!!!!! :( If I wasn't so old, it'd be time for another re-location--further in-country!!

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 11:53 am

These are just north of me. Every time we drive up that way, only see them turning about half the time. And then not all are going.

Same for the later-built wind farms in Munnsville, just north of Morrisville.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Wind_Farm

Been to the one in Fenner NY on a car club tour. Not one of the windmills there were running that day. Only a few years after that tour one fell down on a winter night. As far as I know, they never figured out why.

Over the last 20 years a lot of them installed on the hills and ridges north of here, but it's rare to see them turning. And 24/7/365, they screw up some of the most beautiful country views in NY State !!!!

Paul

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 1:33 pm

20220224_084730.jpg
.JPG | 631.5KB | 20220224_084730.jpg
20220224_082657.jpg
.JPG | 577.2KB | 20220224_082657.jpg
The picture does not capture the massive scale of this solar farm, it is a lot of land being used to create 25 megawatts when the sun shines. If you were to build a real power plant on this site you could probably make 10 times that 24/7.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 3:20 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 11:53 am
These are just north of me. Every time we drive up that way, only see them turning about half the time. And then not all are going.

Same for the later-built wind farms in Munnsville, just north of Morrisville.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Wind_Farm

Been to the one in Fenner NY on a car club tour. Not one of the windmills there were running that day. Only a few years after that tour one fell down on a winter night. As far as I know, they never figured out why.

Over the last 20 years a lot of them installed on the hills and ridges north of here, but it's rare to see them turning. And 24/7/365, they screw up some of the most beautiful country views in NY State !!!!

Paul
Made reference to this in another thread. My friend Joe worked on a big wind project near Masena,NY a few years back & was told by an engineer that the grid in many places is so outdated that it can't handle all the juice produced by the wind farms. Along with the fact that all electric companies are all independent & private thereby choosing who they buy from. This is why when you see wind farms, rarely are they all running at once. Even with all the solar panels in the world, the pwr companies still have to agree to purchase their pwr. So while
all this green BS might sound good to the gullible, there is apparently a whole lot more to it.
Jim

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 4:28 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 11:27 am
Hopefully not to far off topic--BUT--they're pushin this high speed sht. up here & neighbors from NJ of course, HAD to have it--cable had to run through my lower pasture--SOOOO, they ran it & I already have a very taught, high elec. cable there--they left about a 6' sag which I couldn't even to get a dump truck (extended) under it--So, bein the nice guy I am--I told them if they didn't raise it--A LOT--I'd shoot the fckr down--needless to say they raised it around 4'--still looks like sht!!! People just don't get why we live way off the beatin path!!!!!!!!!!! :( If I wasn't so old, it'd be time for another re-location--further in-country!!
Your nicer than me. I would have driven thru it and went after them for the damage to my truck. I may move myself but promised I'd give it a year to see if I can handle looking at it when they are within a mile. Windmills can be seen roughly 20 miles here on this flat land and I can see a strong 150 now but at a long distance. All those red lights flashing I hate. They will ruin my sunsets that I enjoy so much. Your right, they just dont get it, and likely dont care. Im glad Im not young quite often. That Maine hermit had the right idea, lol

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 4:29 pm

I know that wind farm well. It is in an area that gets more wind than any other place I have been. The day I took these pictures it was about -20 with zero wind. Bad day for a heat pump if you were counting on wind power.

Attachments

F6BBE664-DED6-4DCE-8BF0-C48F4750410D.jpeg
.JPEG | 522KB | F6BBE664-DED6-4DCE-8BF0-C48F4750410D.jpeg

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 5:07 pm

coalder wrote:
Thu. Apr. 07, 2022 3:20 pm
Made reference to this in another thread. My friend Joe worked on a big wind project near Masena,NY a few years back & was told by an engineer that the grid in many places is so outdated that it can't handle all the juice produced by the wind farms. Along with the fact that all electric companies are all independent & private thereby choosing who they buy from. This is why when you see wind farms, rarely are they all running at once. Even with all the solar panels in the world, the pwr companies still have to agree to purchase their pwr. So while
all this green BS might sound good to the gullible, there is apparently a whole lot more to it.
Jim
Yup, Jim.

We're told that we should "go green" and buy electric cars. Never mind the fact that with the grid in such poor shape there's not going to be enough power left for a light at the end of that tunnel !!!!! :baby:

I suspect the "green movement" is really just a case of a lot of "green" going to all the wrong people and all we get is to pay the tab. :x

Paul

Return to “Farming & Rural Life”