Garage Heating

leward
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 50-93 at camp
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 double door woodburner

Post by leward » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 5:01 pm

A 1.25 header will supply 3 of the 3/4 zones (if you ignore pipe friction) at the same time . Would need a 2" header to supply all 8 zones at same time. Not a lost cause though. Rarely do all call at the same time, and worst case is somebody doesn't get flow for a bit. I would go ahead amd plumb it in to the 1.25.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 5:09 pm

Me too. Most zones are over pumped anyway.

I have 8 zones pipes with with 3/4” pex running off a 1” header with a single ecm circulator, it heats the house fine.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 7:16 pm

I'll give you my opinion.

1.) Personally, I'd hesitate hanging a Modine style heater in my garage. They are noisy. When ever you are trying to think, or talk to someone, seems they always kick on. If you are going to plumb off your boiler, I'd consider in floor heat, and heat it all winter. And no concerns of fumes igniting.

2.) I have two shops. One has a propane space heater, and is well insulated. Very convenient! I walk in, turn the unit on low, and 20 minutes later, it's all warmed up. No fumes ever in that shop. Once in a while some paint fumes. If concerned about fumes, consider a sealed unit that draws combustion air from outside. A friend of mine runs a welding shop. He has an old furnace. Works well.

3.) My other shop is poorly insulated (Critters made a mess out of the insulation I added). That's where I have the coal stove. Yes, it's raised up off the floor. I start the coal stove late fall, and it goes all winter. I work out of that shop every day. Love the coal stove, but am very careful about fumes. Not saying there are no fumes. I never let them build, or park anything in there with a gas tank ever since losing 20 gallons of gas on the floor once. I was very lucky the stove was not running at that time.

Summery:
For starters; Insulate the garage well.

If heating all winter, put in floor heat, and run off your boiler. You tend the boiler every day anyway. No concern of fumes igniting.

If not heating all winter, put the furnace in, drawing combustion air from outside.

Lastly; If you are a coal stove junky like myself, go for it. I grew up with wood, then coal. I like it, and am very comfortable around it.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Feb. 03, 2022 7:29 pm

My efm 350 is doing a mighty fine job heating my garage and the house. I set the heat to 45 degrees out there when i'm not working for extended periods. This winter i have been working out there so I keep it between 55 and 62 degrees. house insulation is not great and some areas have no insulation, heating about 3500 sq ft including basement.

plumberman
Stoker Coal Boiler: coal gun 130
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: solar dhw/samsung mini split/oil

Post by plumberman » Fri. Feb. 04, 2022 6:37 am

food for thought, nothing beats radiant in floor, vehicles dry off then the floor does. installed years ago in mine, this year added a modine to the mix. keep the garage at 55f. when working out there, flip switch set stat to higher temps. i always tell people to put the radiant in now even if you dont hook it up, because down the road is too late!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 04, 2022 7:02 am

Agreed on radiant being the optimal choice, but he did not list that an option. :annoyed:

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Fri. Feb. 04, 2022 8:11 am

I’m not opposed to any idea. Fire away. Hell if someone said waste oil , I’d listen to the pros and cons. My concern with radiant is when we utilize garage space for weekend activities, response time is very slow. So bumping heat up to say 68 from 55 would be hours. And would my consumption go insane ? I don’t know this info so please by all means, educate away.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 04, 2022 9:19 am

anthony7812 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 04, 2022 8:11 am
I’m not opposed to any idea. Fire away. Hell if someone said waste oil , I’d listen to the pros and cons. My concern with radiant is when we utilize garage space for weekend activities, response time is very slow. So bumping heat up to say 68 from 55 would be hours. And would my consumption go insane ? I don’t know this info so please by all means, educate away.
The beauty of radiant is that there will be no cold zone down by the floor, and the floor will quickly dry. You will also have cooler water going through your piping, so there is less heat loss (nice feature if using underground piping). Also no noise as mentioned by Oliver.

Raising the temperature of an entire building by 13 degrees will take some time no matter what. Sure a forced air furnace will do it faster, but all of the objects in the building will still be cold. Put an Ecobee thermostat in the garage and set the schedule to whatever you want. It will learn how long it takes to heat the building from 55 to whatever and adjust the start time accordingly.

I assume you are running conduit from the house to the garage. In addition to running power, make sure you run thermostat wire, ethernet cable, etc.

rharris
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by rharris » Sat. Feb. 05, 2022 2:45 pm

I installed a 125k Modine Propane heater in my 40x60x12 that is completely spray foamed with r18 overhead doors. It is fast, but expensive. So expensive that i installed a coal stove. As you know, the coal stove provides much more consistent heat, resulting in a comfier garage. I can't say what it will cost at this point due to some burn issues and only having it in a week.

My vote also goes for radiant. My buddy has it in his garage and it is very nice. If I could do it over, I would definitely do that. Good luck

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 10:42 pm

My vote would be put in the radiant floor heating as the primary heat source. I would also add a hanging heater like the modines mentioned and plumb that in as well. When you need a blast of heat kick on the modine. When you have time to let things come up slowly, use the floor heat. Best of both and you can chose how and when you use each of them.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”