Help! Trying to get info on my boiler.

Njfishinguy
Other Heating: Not sure

Post by Njfishinguy » Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 4:51 pm

So I bought a home last year that has a boiler setup. It’s from 1987 according to the stamp and called “plate coil” on the side but I can’t find any info on it and I wanted to find out if it is a wood boiler or a coal/wood boiler? If anyone has come across one of these and can share some info that would be awesome. Thanks

Attachments

4D7D03DC-BF05-45BF-BE56-CDFE414E2DDE.jpeg
.JPEG | 362KB | 4D7D03DC-BF05-45BF-BE56-CDFE414E2DDE.jpeg

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 5:16 pm

If that big lever shakes the grates it will burn anthracite. Post up some pictures of the firebox please.

Njfishinguy

Post by Njfishinguy » Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 5:48 pm

Yes the big lever shifts the grates inside front to back and it falls down into a pan. I put a picture of the inside. In my original post. I can get a better one if that’s what you want for the “firebox”

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 6:27 pm

That's a lot like the Steel King I had years ago. The rod sticking out the front above the door should be a sliding baffle. You'll use that before you open the door, once closed, it adds one more pass to the heat before leaving. Do you have the sheet metal sides and top for it? It looks like a thermostatic draft control. You may want to go with a blower if you want to get a quicker and bigger punch out of it.

Njfishinguy

Post by Njfishinguy » Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 6:51 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 6:27 pm
That's a lot like the Steel King I had years ago. The rod sticking out the front above the door should be a sliding baffle. You'll use that before you open the door, once closed, it adds one more pass to the heat before leaving. Do you have the sheet metal sides and top for it? It looks like a thermostatic draft control. You may want to go with a blower if you want to get a quicker and bigger punch out of it.
Yes the rod up top is a what I was calling flue damper. Above it does have a chamber that has more water jacket surface. Your correct the draft control is thermostatic based on water temp. And the it has a electronic aquastat that kicks on the circulator pump which is also controlled by my thermostats around the house.

I’ve been using it with wood the last couple weeks and it’s been doing a great job heating the whole house and our water heater. I was hoping it could do coal because I’ve heard coal burns much longer and right now I’m adding wood every 3-5 hours depending how much I load it up and size if the wood pieces.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jan. 13, 2022 6:58 pm

You should be able to go 12 hours or more with anthracite.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 7:40 am

Clean that build-up off the sides of the fines chamber and you'll get more heat transfer.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sat. Jan. 15, 2022 9:21 am

Heads up on insurance: If you cannot identify it with a Mfr plate and find documentation for clearances, NFPA defaults to 36" clearances. Ask me how I know, after restoring an old Sears hand fired stove and the whining about the hot air plenum...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”