Harman Mark III Stove and Stove Pipe

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 7:59 am

Hello all, great forum from what I've read so far and happy to be here.

My dad who passed, had two Harman coal stoves, a Mark III, and I believe Mark II, and I'm looking to now install one in my home starting with the Mark III and if too hot going to the smaller one. I've read here on these forums that a barometric damper is recommended to be used with these stoves. There's a 6" opening at the back of these stoves. I see there are some different designs. Is there any recommendations on brands or models to use?

I also acquired free stove pipe from someone who had a wood stove installed but hated it right after it was installed. I need to run stove pipe from my stove up through a 9' ceiling, 4' of attic, then through the roof. Can anyone tell me any info about the piping in the photos and if safe to use? My thinking is to use this double or triple? wall piping from about 2' down from the ceiling into the living room or how far from the ceiling would I need to come in with this pipe? It would then connect to a single wall pipe? In the second from last photo, there is a smaller reducing pipe that goes inside. Seems like a nice idea to retain heat, though not sure if recommended or at what place in the stove pipe do I add it if at all?

As always, thank you for your help. -R
IMG_3313.JPG
.JPG | 175.2KB | IMG_3313.JPG
IMG_3312.JPG
.JPG | 220.1KB | IMG_3312.JPG
IMG_3311.JPG
.JPG | 327.8KB | IMG_3311.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG
.JPG | 275.4KB | IMG_3308.JPG
IMG_3310.JPG
.JPG | 327.5KB | IMG_3310.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 8:20 am

You will need a ceiling support box, roof flashing and storm collar.

Try to determine make of your pipe (it is not Metalbestos) to get needed parts. Go to sites selling pipe and compare. That rain cap is distinctive.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 8:29 am

Thanks and good to know what I'll need. I just found the damper that was professionally installed at my dad's house on the Mark III so I'm good there.

I can not find any name on the stove pipe and thought maybe someone would recognize it. Thx again.

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Fri. Dec. 17, 2021 12:24 pm

Ask them where they bought it that may help narrow it down , Metalbestos/duravent etc

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Sat. Dec. 18, 2021 4:53 pm

They had it professionally installed and the receipt did not say make. The installation company is no longer in business as well.

Any chance that this stove pipe is not good / rated for coal stove? Anything about it look concerning to not use?

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Mon. Dec. 20, 2021 8:19 pm

Rattler wrote:
Sat. Dec. 18, 2021 4:53 pm
They had it professionally installed and the receipt did not say make. The installation company is no longer in business as well.

Any chance that this stove pipe is not good / rated for coal stove? Anything about it look concerning to not use?
Class A is Class A if it’s good for wood it’s good for coal ( aluminized won’t last as long as stainless , but either is acceptable )

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Tue. Dec. 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Thx Shawn. I'll look it over close again and see if I can find any markings. It has one small super faded sticker but can't read a single letter. Merry Christmas to all.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Dec. 21, 2021 3:37 pm

The cap looks like silkirk super pro deluxe rain cap.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 2:22 pm

mntbugy, I think you are right and THANK YOU SO MUCH for pointing me in the right direction. I think the piping might be Selkirk as well. This is what I was able to find on one of their installation guides. If this is the case, do the below numbers make it safe for use with coal stoves? Seems like their piping is for "All-Fuel". Thanks again.

Attachments

temps.JPG
.JPG | 44.5KB | temps.JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 4:16 pm

YES-- :)----------------------------------

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 8:08 am

I called and emailed Selkirk and was pleasantly surprised. The phone rang and on the second ring a live person picked up that was extremely knowledgeable about their products. She was able to provide part numbers for the ceiling kit I needed and also part number for individual pieces. Easy to talk with and spoke clear english as well. That type of service is unheard of anymore!

The email response informed me the chimney pipe I have is a GSW/Jakes Evans made prior to 1996, a company that was bought out by Selkirk. Their Super Pro line is compatible.

Only problem now is that I'm in need of a JSC ceiling kit that is not in stock at Lowes or Amazon, normally sells for $120 at Lowes, and the only three I see available are on ebay at a ridiculous price of $300+ with shipping. If anyone knows where I can get a JSC6DCSP ceiling kit at a reasonable price, please let me know. As always, thank you.

tiogajoe
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 105 (sold)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker HFH 70/90
Other Heating: toyostove

Post by tiogajoe » Fri. Jan. 14, 2022 2:51 pm

Measure the outside diameter of your pipe. I bet your can make someone else's ceiling kit work?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”