Stoker stove recomendations

Wxtrendsguy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Liberty
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Wxtrendsguy » Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 4:10 pm

Heating a 4 season porch mainly 3 days a week (Fri-Sun) when our business needs the extra space. The goal is to warm the space but not necessarily make it Miami, FL in there either. Walls are poorly insulated and no options to make it better without major expense. Want to direct vent combustion gasses. Seeking brand and model suggestions, Thanks

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Oct. 05, 2021 8:50 pm

If you are going to use power/direct vent be aware you don't want coal gases venting near ground level, you can do it but it's not ideal under any circumstances. Other than obvious issue of the smell outside it will probably kill any plants in the immediate area and stain the siding etc.

Other issues include the life of the power venter. With a high quality one made with SS and yearly maintenance you can get 10 +/- years out of it but there has been others fail much sooner.

Not sure if it applies in your situation but most people in this situation have an existing chimney being used by gas or whatever. Hook the coal to the chimney and power vent the gas.

Soccer918843

Post by Soccer918843 » Mon. Oct. 11, 2021 9:55 pm

I have a hitzer 608 and a Harman dvc 500 had issues with both and the Harman still can’t get it to work right lol but if I were buying new and doing it all over I’d prob look at leisure line

lgilkes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman DVC, Keystoker Koker, EFM-AF, EFM-520 Boiler

Post by lgilkes » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 12:09 am

I have used Keystoker DV and a Harman DV , there is no comparison. The harman DVC is the best direct stove hands down, not even close.

Wxtrendsguy

Post by Wxtrendsguy » Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 9:09 pm

lgilkes wrote:
Tue. Oct. 12, 2021 12:09 am
I have used Keystoker DV and a Harman DV , there is no comparison. The harman DVC is the best direct stove hands down, not even close.
I was watching some online videos of stoker stoves with the power vent / direct vent operating and was immediately concerned about the noise. Some seemed really loud.

The stoker still seems like the best option however now I am more interested in using a chimney. In our case we can go up to the roof inside with stove pipe and then transition to insulated pipe through the roof and outside.

I also like the idea of being able to better regulate the stove heat output as we can go from the porch being empty to having 20 people out there in 15 mins or the weather can go from 60 one day to 20 the next.

Wxtrendsguy

Post by Wxtrendsguy » Wed. Oct. 13, 2021 2:10 pm

Is the Harman DVC even made or sold any longer? It looks like the company was sold to Legacy and they are only making the Magnum.

Soccer918843

Post by Soccer918843 » Wed. Oct. 13, 2021 2:27 pm

It is not it has not been made in prob 10 years I’m guessing. I’m going through some issues with mine and parts are now pricey and legacy themselves don’t even know a ton on the stove. They had given me some incorrect information that is stated right in the manual I would go with a stove that is currently in production and has good customer service. Have you looked at the new leisure line all American DV? Expensive but looks like an awesome stove

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Oct. 13, 2021 6:07 pm

I ran a power vent for four seasons. would not do it again. if you do run one keep a carbon monoxide detector handy.
it's for sale along with the reading stove if you are looking for used.

lgilkes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman DVC, Keystoker Koker, EFM-AF, EFM-520 Boiler

Post by lgilkes » Wed. Oct. 13, 2021 7:22 pm

If you have a chimney go with the Harman Super Magnum stoker, not the magnum the super magnum.

Dont fool with Keystoker, Leisure line etc, it is Harman, or EFM dont fool with the other products

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”