Chimney install

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Dec. 05, 2020 3:47 pm

Ok....another question. Fireplaces are new to me!!! This is pertaining to a pre-fab fireplace. I remember my inspector saying I have an outside air intake for the fireplace. I just checked it and it seems to be an exhaust vent with a flapper much like a dryer vent. So it seems this is an exhaust vent, not an air intake. I do have a damper on the inside of the fireplace...this much I do know!! My only thought is someone installed the wrong vent on the outside chimney chase. It may need to be an intake and not exhaust vent. I've read the intake is not necessary. Can anyone please explain???

Attachments

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sat. Jan. 23, 2021 5:16 pm

Ok...I finally got around to starting the hearth construction. My indecisiveness got the best of me...hence the delay! Plus my kids new covid school schedule hasn’t been very easy to work around. I plan on a bluestone slab for the base and stone for the face of the base and up the wall. Hopefully ordering the stone soon. I’ll update with pics along the way!!

Attachments

13CD1031-2AF5-44E3-B16B-BA2E1DE2FEC2.jpeg
.JPEG | 602KB | 13CD1031-2AF5-44E3-B16B-BA2E1DE2FEC2.jpeg

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jan. 24, 2021 4:02 pm

Don’t mind the jigsaw puzzle, I used what I had...haha. I’m getting a little concerned with the weight of my hearth already. This pad I made is starting to get heavy, and thats just the frame and 3/4” plywood. I plan on still adding cement board on top. I was originally going to use a 2” blue stone slab, which would look really nice. Due to the weight I may go with a slate tile, or something similar. I’m thinking of using a jack stud under the stove in my basement, that would solve any weight problems. Any thoughts or advice?

Attachments

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 3:15 pm

Under our stove and hearth and floor joists, in the crawl space, are two large jacks. On top of those jacks is a piece of angle iron that measured 8’x3”x5”x 1/2”. The jacks are sitting on concrete pads 6” thick, which is sitting on a mix of clay, stone and gravel. Dry as a bone under there. All this is supporting the front part of the hearth. The hearth wall is sitting above a block bearing wall.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. May. 02, 2021 3:38 pm

Well, I ordered my chimney system last week and it arrived Friday. Speedy delivery!!! One step closer to getting the stove in place...I am stoked. I went with Selkirk this time around. After tons of research it seems like a good product. The fact that everything is made in the US is a bonus for me. Hopefully I'll grab a bunch of pics of the install.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. May. 02, 2021 3:46 pm

I sure hope so T--after all this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Tue. May. 18, 2021 2:06 pm

With the nice weather this week I decided to start the chimney install. I ran into a little snafu, looking for advice. I cut the ceiling where the support box is going. I was hoping for a straight run of pipe from the stove out through the roof. The roof is 2x8 construction 14” oc, but they are sistered with 2x6 beams that run from the peak of the roof down about 20’. I was thinking of cutting off about 8” off the end of the 2x6 thats in the way. I really don’t think this one piece would matter all that much. Or, I can simply move the box lower on the ceiling and avoid cutting the 2x6 all together. I was really hoping for a straight run of pipe and to avoid more spackle work. Thoughts?

Attachments

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. May. 18, 2021 4:27 pm

Cut the 2 x 6 and if it is structural replace with a piece of steel to reinforce. Use a plumb bob to mark the roof hole.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Tue. May. 18, 2021 9:35 pm

Another thought I has was to notch out the support box around the 2x6. There would still be plenty to attach it by. This would probably cause a liability issue though, seeing how the 2x6 would be exposed to the heat shield on the inside of the support box.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Thu. May. 20, 2021 8:12 am

I decided to move the support box. I didn’t want to get into cutting anything structural. It took me a while, but all in all it turned out good!! I just need to finish the trim work on the inside of the support box and finish my hearth.

Attachments

F2C2DBFE-F19F-4396-AA04-D82ABB4ABF30.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.9MB | F2C2DBFE-F19F-4396-AA04-D82ABB4ABF30.jpeg
7940F64E-E5AD-4B27-AB70-31F54EDB55DB.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | 7940F64E-E5AD-4B27-AB70-31F54EDB55DB.jpeg

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sat. May. 29, 2021 12:14 pm

So….we’ve had some heavy rains the past few days. First rain since installing the chimney. I’m getting a slight drip running down the outside of my single wall pipe inside the house. This single wall pipe is connected directly to the double wall chimney inside the support box. After thinking long and hard about it, I believe the storm collar is the culprit. It seems the rain is running right down the pipe into the house. I think if rain was getting under the flashing or past the support box somehow than I would get water leaking down the sides of the support box or the outer sleeve of the pipe adapter in the support box. The outer sleeve sits in the bottom of the support box and holds a heat shield. I marked in red where the water is getting in. Thoughts?

Attachments

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sat. May. 29, 2021 12:43 pm

We just had a short break in the rain, so I just ran some duct tape along the storm collar seam. We’ll see if this dries it up.

coalvet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Model 404, Harman MK I
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: NG Boiler

Post by coalvet » Sat. May. 29, 2021 12:46 pm

I had the same problem, I caulked the vertical seam of the of the double wall outside and added more caulk around the storm shield. No leaks for the last 30 years!

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sat. May. 29, 2021 1:19 pm

coalvet wrote:
Sat. May. 29, 2021 12:46 pm
I had the same problem, I caulked the vertical seam of the of the double wall outside and added more caulk around the storm shield. No leaks for the last 30 years!
I was just on the roof looking at that seam. Another possibility!! It looks like when I sealed the storm collar not that much made it into that seam. Thanks

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sat. May. 29, 2021 1:24 pm

Get rid of the duct tape, clean up the tape glue with alcohol, wipe dry with paper towel & then use GE silicone on the collar.
Did this with mine & never had any leaks.
Jim

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”