Hitzer 254

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post by hcarlow » Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 5:12 pm

Hi Hoytman and yes I burned wood in the New Yorker wood boiler for many years and really enjoyed it back in the day , even though you had to feed it quite often . Just for kicks I looked at that blazer king ( quite the improvement over the years for sure ) but it's not for me now . I do have over 2 cord of nice dry wood in the wood shed if ever needed for the new coal stove . I opened up my clean out door on the chimney and measured about 6 inches across , so on the outside it may be 8in. sq. tile I would guess . I do have a Dwyer 25 manometer . My readings off the LL boiler pipe are usually from .02 to .03 rarely .04 , with my barometric damper opening about .04 I guess , which only happens in windy conditions . The chimney has 2 sides extended abv. the top of the chimney , with a very heavy slate cap on top as we had some down drafts when burning wood . I'm sure that doesn't help the draft a whole lot . The cap prevents the down drafts and helps keep out most of the rain . The north wind comes across a 40 acre field with some force at times . Yes I do have co detectors .

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 9:15 pm

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 10:42 am
Just caught up reading many posts to this thread...well done guys!!!

Something I gathered that was not stated is 'If you ever plan to cook off the top then you forget about max efficeny plus do NOT buy a model with a fan installed as that has the false stove top'...it is cook or the fan, NOT both.
As I understand, Fan model stove top is NOT in contact with the fire box, but rather is a air void for a air flow path whether fan would run or not.
Just a thought: The heat rolls out the heat exchanger of my 254 quite well with the fan off. I'll bet in an emergency situation, if the front of the heat exchanger where the air comes out was blocked with insulation, I'll bet you could cook on the fan model.

artbaldoni
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: O W/C B

Post by artbaldoni » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 8:40 am

oliver power wrote:
Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 9:15 pm
Just a thought: The heat rolls out the heat exchanger of my 254 quite well with the fan off. I'll bet in an emergency situation, if the front of the heat exchanger where the air comes out was blocked with insulation, I'll bet you could cook on the fan model.
This is a good thought for my Alaska Kodiak too. I need to remember this. Thanks!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 9:05 am

Have any of you rigged up a grill or rack inside your stoves? I cooked some chicken that way once. It didnt add any flavor but it cooked fine. There are other simple cheap ways to cook without electric or gas too.... Im just unsure if that should be a consideration when considering a coal stove unless buying a cookstove. It would be an added bonus but heat comes first.... perhaps its my survival type thinking and abnormal, lol

You have firebrick inside to sit something on that a pan can fit on. Cover with tin foil to keep ash off as no flavor is added anyway. Thats all thats really needed.

Twisted shackle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker deep box

Post by Twisted shackle » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 9:58 am

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 10:42 am
Just caught up reading many posts to this thread...well done guys!!!

Something I gathered that was not stated is 'If you ever plan to cook off the top then you forget about max efficeny plus do NOT buy a model with a fan installed as that has the false stove top'...it is cook or the fan, NOT both.
As I understand, Fan model stove top is NOT in contact with the fire box, but rather is a air void for a air flow path whether fan would run or not.
The very reason I went with my Keystoker. Fan and a cook top. https://photos.app.goo.gl/U3jWZcUwrhDNNuKL6

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 10:03 am

oliver power wrote:
Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 9:15 pm
Just a thought: The heat rolls out the heat exchanger of my 254 quite well with the fan off...
I'm sure it does. I don't run my stove nearly as high as you do, but with the 354 I can tell a big difference from 300F to 325F in the volume of air coming from the convection chamber. There's even a significant amount more of of hot air volume once I get the stove to 350F-360F. Never ran it very long at 360F...was cooking us out of the house. I'd say anything above that temp with the 354 stove would really move a lot of heat on it's own...even without the fan turned on. :yes:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 10:54 am

When ya gonna get the right stove for your situation Billy?

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 6:34 pm

Twisted shackle wrote:
Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 9:58 am
The very reason I went with my Keystoker. Fan and a cook top. https://photos.app.goo.gl/U3jWZcUwrhDNNuKL6
I really like that stove. Super jealous. :P

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 7:55 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 10:54 am
Pretty tall order as he wants his stove to do everything but feed the dog. lol

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 8:03 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 10:54 am
When I save enough money from changing from fuel oil to coal to buy a new one. Unless I find a used one first.
Last edited by Hoytman on Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 8:05 pm

McGiever wrote:
Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 7:55 pm
Ouch!!!

C’mon man!
(In my best Joe Biden impression.) LOL!!

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 8:07 pm

McGiever wrote:
Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 7:55 pm
Oh wait! I almost forgot...

I suppose I qualify because the dog keeps stealing pieces of coal out of the hod. LOL!!! Gives my wife fits. :lol:

I wish you guys could see her chasing the dog through the house.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 8:10 pm

I suppose as long as it’s me you’re leaving some else alone...and I can take it. LOL!

Good group of guys.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 8:54 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Fri. Mar. 19, 2021 8:07 pm
Oh wait! I almost forgot...

I suppose I qualify because the dog keeps stealing pieces of coal out of the hod. LOL!!! Gives my wife fits. :lol:

I wish you guys could see her chasing the dog through the house.
No pics, it didn't happen. :lol:

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 1:06 am

Well,Slick,I'm glad you arrived here after our meeting on Wastebook! You've received what I assured you would occur due to these Fine Coal Cretins! These Guys really throw in to help you out. A veritable wealth of coal burnin' experience. Take your time,get your facts,make your choices. I know you're a Soapstone Fanatic due to how they look and function. Take a peak in our hand-fired Antique Section. You'll see some real eye-poppin' ornate artwork and engineering there. We have it covered.
As a footnote,we tell Folks to sell their wood to buy Coal. It let's them still stay in the Wood Game if they felt they'd miss it,and it helps their sense of Economics. You still won't get the sleep and even heating burn times Anthracite Coal provides. The range of burn time for Coal,couples with a steady heat is quite the ticket. On the Safety Side,you won't have the Chimney Fire Threat due to Coal. Clean out any Creosote from your woodburning days,and you're good to go. There's no smoke with Anthracite Hard Coal also! Take Care,be a sponge and learn from these Fine Folks,as you won't be disappointed.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”