Hitzer 254

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 10:42 am

Just caught up reading many posts to this thread...well done guys!!!

Something I gathered that was not stated is 'If you ever plan to cook off the top then you forget about max efficeny plus do NOT buy a model with a fan installed as that has the false stove top'...it is cook or the fan, NOT both.
As I understand, Fan model stove top is NOT in contact with the fire box, but rather is a air void for a air flow path whether fan would run or not.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 12:11 pm

That is correct, Larry.

However, I have a hunch though that with a blower model like mine and the fan turned OFF and IF you have the stove running around 375-400, that I might be able to boil water. Just guessing. I’ve had the pot with vapor coming out of it at 350ish I think. We’ll see. Hotter, might be able to do some slow cooking and over 500 might be able to begin to fry in a pan. All assumptions.

Tell you what I can do though...here in a couple days the temps are supposed to drop again at night into the upper 20’s...

...I can open up a couple windows and turn this stove up some and just see what stove temp it takes to get a blower model to boil water with the fan turned off. Ha ha...I might have to open the doors to do it though.

I’ll see what else I can do for testing for cooking with the fan turned off. I should have done this when the temps were around zero. LOL!!

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post by hcarlow » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Thanks guys for all the information , and like you Hoytman I also like to weigh all the options . You guys have given so many it's a hard choice to make . I am not worrying about resale as I am 78 and the stove will go with the house if and when I have to leave here . Not to many people burn coal in my area .Cost difference between the stoves isn't an issue , I just have to keep telling myself this is for emergency use during a prolonged power outage . The way this world is going now one can never be to prepared . My concern is to keep my semi invalid wife and I warm no matter what . I am heating 2200 sq. ft. , 1100 up , 1100 in basement . My concern with a larger stove like the 82 or 354 would be how much more draft they would require compared to my LL boiler . Never had a problem with LL or the old new yorker wood boiler years ago . Clean chimney is 26 ft. and a 6in. clay lined with a cap as the hse. is on an open field area . It can get quite windy here at times . I have barometric damper set so the LL stays about .2 and .4 , stack temp. 90 to 130 F. roughly . There are many times the barometric damper is totally closed though during calm weather .

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 2:08 pm

hcarlow wrote:
Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 1:46 pm
Thanks guys for all the information , and like you Hoytman I also like to weigh all the options . You guys have given so many it's a hard choice to make . I am not worrying about resale as I am 78 and the stove will go with the house if and when I have to leave here . Not to many people burn coal in my area .Cost difference between the stoves isn't an issue , I just have to keep telling myself this is for emergency use during a prolonged power outage . The way this world is going now one can never be to prepared . My concern is to keep my semi invalid wife and I warm no matter what . I am heating 2200 sq. ft. , 1100 up , 1100 in basement . My concern with a larger stove like the 82 or 354 would be how much more draft they would require compared to my LL boiler . Never had a problem with LL or the old new yorker wood boiler years ago . Clean chimney is 26 ft. and a 6in. clay lined with a cap as the hse. is on an open field area . It can get quite windy here at times . I have barometric damper set so the LL stays about .2 and .4 , stack temp. 90 to 130 F. roughly . There are many times the barometric damper is totally closed though during calm weather .
I favor the 354. However, based on the information above and knowing nothing else about you :oops: , I have an alternate suggestion. A generator to run the LL in case of a power outage. I know it is not as fun as tending a hand fed stove, but possibly easier. A full 5 gal gas can is roughly the same weight as a bag of coal and you would have to fill it slightly more frequently than the stove. I'm not sure, but I think I just talked myself out of the generator. :D

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 2:20 pm

Is your chimney inside the home or on an outside wall?

If your chimney is located inside the walls of your home, then you have another option, and this option might be better suited for you and your situation and at your age, considering the availability of coal in your area. That option is... (waiting for your answer to the above question) ...

hcarlow

Post by hcarlow » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 6:35 pm

Chimney is up through the center of my home and 3 ft. or so above roof level . I have no problem getting coal in my area from Center Farms .I know they sell Hitzer and Keystoker stoves . They don't have many on display but can get them with no problem . They sell and deliver coal all over the northern part of Maine and maybe further south I don't know . Some larger facility's burn coal here , depending on the price of oil in some cases . They have a fleet of trucks from what I understand , for various reasons other than just coal . When I mentioned not to many people burn coal in my area , I guess I really meant I only know of one other person who does on occasion . State wide I have no idea .
Last edited by hcarlow on Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 6:51 pm

i have both 354/254, 254 is a radiant model. if i ever get another 354 it will be the radiant ...hell i never use the fan, and the radiant really throws the heat...and the radiant u can cook on...

hcarlow

Post by hcarlow » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 7:03 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 2:08 pm
I favor the 354. However, based on the information above and knowing nothing else about you :oops: , I have an alternate suggestion. A generator to run the LL in case of a power outage. I know it is not as fun as tending a hand fed stove, but possibly easier. A full 5 gal gas can is roughly the same weight as a bag of coal and you would have to fill it slightly more frequently than the stove. I'm not sure, but I think I just talked myself out of the generator. :D
I do have a small generator and use it quite often for those times when the power is out for a few hours , but for possible longer times than that with no power I want a stove for heat .

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 8:18 pm

hcarlow wrote:
Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 6:35 pm
Chimney is up through the center of my home and 3 ft. or so above roof level . I have no problem getting coal in my area from Center Farms .I know they sell Hitzer and Keystoker stoves . They don't have many on display but can get them with no problem . They sell and deliver coal all over the northern part of Maine and maybe further south I don't know . Some larger facility's burn coal here , depending on the price of oil in some cases . They have a fleet of trucks from what I understand , for various reasons other than just coal . When I mentioned not to many people burn coal in my area , I guess I really meant I only know of one other person who does on occasion . State wide I have no idea .
Ok...well let me throw this at you to chew on.

A Blaze King Princess wood stove also has a similar working thermostat. Obviously you probably don’t want to be cutting wood at your age, but buying wood might be an option, as might burning Bio-blocks or compressed Idaho logs. That stove will burn 30 plus hours at low burn in a full load. It does has a catalyst that will need replacement on occasion.

Benefits are:

-less ash removal...probably bi-weekly or even less depending what you burn.

-you have a proper chimney for it.

-much quicker response times to changing both stove and room temps.

- ability to burn low and slow similar to a coal stove.

-steady heat output just like a coal stove.

I can think of several more benefits, but there are negatives as well when comparing with coal.

The biggest detractors would be not having someone who could deliver wood and/or needing to cut it yourself and chance of chimney fire without regular inspection and maintenance.

The coal stoves and the Blaze King wood stove offer set it and forget it burning. Just another option to consider.

hcarlow

Post by hcarlow » Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 10:20 am

I burned wood for over 30 years and had my fill of it . I really like coal and would buy the the 354 in a heart beat if I thought I would have enough draft , but I don't think I do . I really like the chubby but realize it isn't big enough for what I need . It would keep my cellar nice and warm for sure and things wouldn't freeze up on me . Next week I am going to try and get up to my coal dealer and see what he has to say , and see what stoves he has to look at . Much depends on the weather as he is over an hr. away from me . Thanks Again for all the help

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 12:59 pm

H, if you have a square flue, which odds are it is, then most likely it is considered an 8 inch flue. And at the height you describe, would have more than enough draft to handle ANY hand fed coal stove. So get the stove you like the best!!!!! Good luck;
Jim

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 1:14 pm

Is that 30 years with an old smoke dragon or 30 years with more modern stoves?

I have a 25 year old Lopi Liberty wood stove that is only one tenth, yes .5 to .6, difference in emissions. The point is some stoves over the last 30 years have been really efficient and cleaner burning that a simple and plain box wood stove. The BK Princess is even cleaner burning and burns long times with little tending.

Burning wood delivered to you is far less work, as is burning saw dust bricks and logs. I keep bricks around and wood seasoning just in case of a bad winter and I use all of my coal. That’s part of the beauty of owning a 254/354 stove, being able to burn two types of coal as well as wood, wood products. I just mentioned the Blaze King Princess as an option. Like I said, it works exactly like a Hitzer coal stove with less ash emptying.

Anyway, you will have plenty of draft with (wood or coal) a 254 or 354, not even a small worry for you. You said you have nearly 26ft years of 6” clay lined masonry ( I bet it is same as mine, 8”x8” and still great for your draft). Almost perfect scenario for coal in either stove.

I’m running the 354 in clay lined 8”x8” only 15 ft tall and in ... well, the other day it was 70F outside and I still had -.01 on my manometer.

When you buy a coal stove make sure to get several CO detectors and a Dwyer Mark II model 25 manometer to monitor your draft.

Hope all this info helps you with your decision. Don’t underestimate that BK Princess stove I mentioned. It will cost you though, about $1500 more than the Hitzer. Why I bought a Hitzer...even a barely used one. Pocket the rest of the money.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 1:18 pm

coalder wrote:
Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 12:59 pm
H, if you have a square flue, which odds are it is, then most likely it is considered an 8 inch flue. And at the height you describe, would have more than enough draft to handle ANY hand fed coal stove. So get the stove you like the best!!!!! Good luck;
Jim
Bingo!

I was just saying even the Princess wood stove would work, and realizing that it is likely 8”x8” you could step up to the King 40 Ultra model ( this one requires the 8” chimney you have), that holds 85 pounds of wood, and will burn for 40+hrs on a full load.

You have choices to be made. A couple wood stoves that match the couple coal stoves you are thinking about.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 1:29 pm

Bill, The OP clearly indicated a couple posts back that he had his fill of dealing with wood. & I just wanted to make clear that his chimney was more than adaquate for whichever stove he preferred.
Jim

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 2:32 pm

coalder wrote:
Thu. Mar. 18, 2021 1:29 pm
Bill, The OP clearly indicated a couple posts back that he had his fill of dealing with wood. & I just wanted to make clear that his chimney was more than adaquate for whichever stove he preferred.
Jim
Jim,
My fault. I should have clarified my post because the only part I directed to you was the word, “Bingo!”. The rest of my post was intended for H. Not sure he is the OP though. Haven’t looked back at page one, but I think he was another person asking about the 254/354 stoved. I was just pointing out either coal stove would work as well as both wood stoves I mentioned. I didn’t remember him mentioning being a former wood burner until his last post.

No problem.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”