Wall outlets inside hearth area

dunedainranger
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Energy Max 110

Post by dunedainranger » Tue. Mar. 02, 2021 6:28 pm

HandFire wrote:
Tue. Mar. 02, 2021 5:36 pm
The living room sides form fit over the fins of the stove and have vents. The basement sides stand off roughly 2 1/2" leaving a large air gap for maximum convection. They used to be both available in red and black. If this stove is in a living area you definitely want to cut down that convection. No matter either way because you can purchase the basement sides. They are a bolt on item.
I wish I would have known that. But that's good that it is a bolt on item, and I can add it on later. I did explain to them that I wanted to encourage convection to the upstairs since this is a split level and the stove will be on the lower level facing the stairwell. Would basement sides help me to accomplish that?
The room we are talking about is on the larger side, and seating is at least 15 ft away.

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Tue. Mar. 02, 2021 6:58 pm

dunedainranger wrote:
Tue. Mar. 02, 2021 6:28 pm
I wish I would have known that. But that's good that it is a bolt on item, and I can add it on later. I did explain to them that I wanted to encourage convection to the upstairs since this is a split level and the stove will be on the lower level facing the stairwell. Would basement sides help me to accomplish that?
The room we are talking about is on the larger side, and seating is at least 15 ft away.
Yes and no. Once the heat hits the top of the stairs it pretty much sits there and heats maybe 10 ft. out pretty good. After that you really need a fan to push/pull it. I have a cased opening at the top of my basement steps and hung a small 8" quiet fan up high that heats a 300 sq ft. addition nicely. I keep mid 70 temps. Partitioned areas or not over heated basement need help to heat them comfortably. The rest of the house is over heated basement and very comfortable with the heated floors.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Tue. Mar. 02, 2021 8:40 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Mar. 02, 2021 5:05 pm
H, what the hell is a 2 hr rating???????????????

A fire rating is how long a material is supposed to last when exposed to fire.
It’s meant primarily to give people a chance to get out, but if it gives the building enough time to survive until fire fighters arrive and limit the damage.

So a 2-hour fire rating means that the item will be able to withstand direct flames for 2 hours before they fail.

Again limiting fire damage, until the firefighters hose your house down and make the damage worse.

dunedainranger
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Energy Max 110

Post by dunedainranger » Tue. Mar. 02, 2021 9:13 pm

Holdencoal, that's interesting. I've always been familiar with fire ratings in terms of temperatures over a period of time, owning guns, safes, and all. But never have I seen just an amount of time. That's probably why people seem confused.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Mar. 02, 2021 11:08 pm

The house would be on the ground before an outlet would be exposed for 2 hrs. I never knew that tidbit of info on outlets before so learned something today! I always assumed they were plastic but I have seen ceramic ones in old homes. Unsure if I saved any of them.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 5:43 am

The 2 hr fire wall and components are used for party / shared walls for multi family units, condominium, town houses, commercial labs, chemical storage rooms, etc.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 6:57 am

There is a ton of info on here about getting the heat to the second floor. It does not just "go" there. Do a search.
Doors in different commercial buildings have burn thru ratings, required by codes. I suppose every item has a rating in certain circumstances.

Kevin

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”