Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 26, 2021 10:01 pm

LOL. You guys are funny.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 03, 2021 8:11 pm

After 5 days of no heat from my forced hot air oil burner, I finally got it up and running. I won't bore you with the ugly details, but it basically started out on the coldest Sat morn. of the winter, (natch) with a burner that would only run approx. 15 seconds after reset. Long story short, turned out to be a defective CAD cell, or controller. With the help of a maintenance guy from work, and none from an incompetent oil company technician, we finally had light off tonite.

But even tho the furnace was down, my secondary heater, (Glenwood 111) was our savior. It performed admirably over some of our coldest days, (and nights...-2 degrees) this winter. Burn times were respectable, and our main living areas were as comfortable as usual. I only got a ton of nut coal this year, but think I'll be investing in another, seeing I'm almost out.
Many thanks to Glenwood, and the fine people of this forum. :yes:

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Feb. 04, 2021 10:12 am

Good to hear Joe!!!

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Feb. 23, 2021 10:24 pm

I neglected my stove for a couple days now, (not intentionally, just extremely busy and distracted), and lost the fire. Cold and grey, as we speak, (?). But the next few days are expected to be in the 40s, so I think the 111 deserves a rest, and a good de-ashing. I'm sure mother nature will have something in store before long, so I'll be ready. Have already picked up another ton of LeHigh. Hope everyone else is enjoying their winter.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 5:52 am

Good to hear things are safe and snug for you. We have 41 F this morning and looking at 49 this weekend, the GW6 is back to a diet of 20 #’s a day.

34 work days to go, man am I ready

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 4:09 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 5:52 am
34 work days to go, man am I ready
What are you sayin Steve. You going fixed income?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 7:40 pm

Well, fixed income is a bit of a misnomer.

I’m 67 so eligible for full SS and can make all the side money I want without penalty or reduction. I also plan on keeping a side gig that pays SS going for the next 5 years.

after 25 years at my job I have a pretty handsome retirement that was one hundred percent company funded beyond my wages

There has always been opportunistic wheelin and dealin that has gone well too so multi level income might be more accurate.

I have been very blessed to have been in the right place at a good time and enjoyed great favor from people that appreciated my efforts

Not bad I guess for the kid who was a dead ringer for Forest Gump in grade school and didn’t finish high school

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 8:54 pm

Well done, and enjoy yourself. (More stoves to come?) :)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 9:35 pm

Nope--bigger house first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 10:11 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 9:35 pm
Nope--bigger house first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
With more chimneys? For more stoves? :lol:

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Feb. 25, 2021 5:54 am

Thanks, I’m looking for an Honor Dockash 14 or similar

FF, you know I’m looking to go smaller, then mobile. I’m done being a gear pin watching everything else move but me

I’m going to put in the furnace and ac this year and that’s about it

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Apr. 11, 2021 9:02 am

And another season of coal burning has come to an end. Let it go out slowly, and tenderly, the other day, to make it less painful. It didn't give up easily, and ran for almost a day and a half, before giving in.
The 111 once again was "eppic" in it's performance this winter. Even CV-19 couldn't kill it. A couple quick riddles a day, with a couple additional scoops of the black stuff, and one full shakedown after work, was the routine that kept it alive. It thrived on Blaschack nut for the first part of the season, and went back to LeHigh, for the remainder, (for no particular reason). Once again, because our winters aren't so bad...(again), I didn't even burn 2 ton. (Tonne for our British counterparts. :)

So the people complaining about the work needed to run coal, vs pellets, well...I just don't get it. I have never burned pellets, and don't know about the characteristics, and can maybe understand the only benefit being, less ash to deal with. And I guess I can see that...to a point. I don't consider walking my full ash pan 30 feet outside, to dump in a bag or container, (once a day) that drastic a trade-off. I'll take the beauty of an antique, and the reliability of such an appliance, along with the extreme radiant heat developed, over an electrically controlled device any day of the week, and twice on Sunday, (but hey...that's just me).
So to all you fellow members, enjoy your spring , summer, and fall, and pray we get rid of these "STUPID" mask mandates...soon.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 1:00 pm

Spring cleaning has come again. I might have already posted the importance of getting at, and clearing the 2 heat chambers on the lower sides of this particular stove, but I'll do it again, as a re-fresher.
I'm thinking because the past few seasons I've been "over filling" the pot every time I load the stove during tending, might be aggravating this dilemma. The problem is that the amount of smaller chunks of unburned coal is making its way into the lower chambers. I believe because of the suspended pot design, when pouring in the scoops of coal, the mounding of the pile is causing the smaller bits to tumble down to the edges, and slip through the slots in the upper grate, and they're dropping into the lower heat chambers. The trade off for having a larger coal bed, in an attempt to get longer burns. I've taken some photos, (for your viewing pleasure) to show the seriousness of neglecting this critical area of cleaning. I don't believe I cleaned out these areas last season, but then again, I might have.

In the past, because my stove has limited access to the rear clean-outs, it's always been troublesome getting tooling into the chambers, so this is the 1st season I drug the 111 away from its original resting place when in operation. It was worth the effort. Fortunately this stove isn't excessively heavy, and I was able to walk it gently away from the thimble. So here we go. I might do this set in 2 postings, so if any members have their ears on, and want to comment, it might break up the sets. Oh well, no biggy. (Sorry for sideways photos)
001.JPG
.JPG | 455.3KB | 001.JPG
011.JPG
.JPG | 628.3KB | 011.JPG
012.JPG
.JPG | 442.1KB | 012.JPG
006.JPG
.JPG | 322.4KB | 006.JPG
Some of the tooling needed for clearing. The special wooden hockey stick took lots of thought and effort to design, and I was thinking of patenting it, and selling to the public. :roll:
To be continued.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 1:05 pm

015.JPG
.JPG | 410.4KB | 015.JPG
Can anyone tell the difference from the B4, and after pics?
016.JPG
.JPG | 404.3KB | 016.JPG
018.JPG
.JPG | 450.3KB | 018.JPG
And below is the amount of crap contaminating these cavities.
019.JPG
.JPG | 537.9KB | 019.JPG
Once again i need to apologize for the sideways pic. I think I've asked about the cure, but don't remember if there was any responses.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Apr. 18, 2021 1:12 pm

And here she is, back in position, waiting for another season. hope all enjoys their summer. :)
021.JPG
.JPG | 396.6KB | 021.JPG
022.JPG
.JPG | 411.8KB | 022.JPG

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”