Harmon mk3 versus chubby

Dxhound
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon mk3
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil burner, lopi wood stove

Post by Dxhound » Sun. Jan. 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Hi I have a Harmon mk 3 that is perfect but I think it is just too big for the area that it is in. I am considering removing it and getting a chubby. Any thoughts about this idea? I just think that this stove is physically too large and gives off way too much heat for what I need. I just can’t seem to idle it down enough. I would have been better off with a mark 1 or 2. Have a chance to get a chubby just curious if any one has any experience with one. Thanks

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Jan. 31, 2021 8:59 pm

At the upper right corner you will see a search box. Type in Chubby and get your reading glasses on. There are lot's of reviews and comments on the Chubby. If I had a tighter house, I would probably have one. But my house is so leaky that I need something bigger. They look like their great heaters though, and their American made and backed personally by the manufacturer.

Dxhound

Post by Dxhound » Sun. Jan. 31, 2021 9:12 pm

thanks for the tip I appreciate it, regards

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 12:25 pm

I have been running a Chubby for about 5 years now. I love it. Rugged, easy to use and great service. It's keeping us warm and fed on this stormy day. It's slow cooking a chicken for dinner.

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 12:53 pm

Chubby was always meant to be a "supplemental" heater. That said, it will carry most of the load of many homes while sipping coal. Roughly speaking, its a 30-40 lb a day coal eater in cold weather (cold means 20-30 degrees in New England). Burn that much coal a day in your current stove and that will give you an estimate of how the Chubby would serve you, heat-wise.

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 12:57 pm

PS if you get one try to find one with the "modern" shaker which has a center pin and you will be much happier. If you get a good deal on an older one, it is worth it to have the shaker upgraded by Chubby Stoves. Then there is the blower question. I don't feel I need one and I don't want the noise. Some people love them.

Dxhound

Post by Dxhound » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 1:41 pm

Ok great thanks for the information

Formulabruce
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark 1 Goldenfire
Coal Size/Type: BLASHAK Nut and Stove size
Other Heating: Blower from a gas furnace if I need to move air, no heat

Post by Formulabruce » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 8:29 pm

The chubby blower is actually a bit too strong I think. It can cool the stove down fast as heat just flies out of the Chubby. The Harman MK3 is a biggie and will use 50 lbs a day easily on cold days, drafty old house. I heated a house built in 1862 with a Chubby and with the help of the whole house fan, it did the job, but it was a lot of work with ash. It can run very very low though in shoulder weather. Great stove, but not a whole house heater really. Only thing the Chubby really needs is a rounded end ash shovel, with sides on it. This would help clean ash behind the ash pan.

Dxhound

Post by Dxhound » Tue. Feb. 02, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi thanks for the note

Salemcoal

Post by Salemcoal » Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 3:23 pm

I have had a chubby stove and a mark I and mark ll at different times heating my living room . The chubby was a great little stove but in my opinion requires a little more work when shaking down than the Harman mark series . Sounds like a mark 1 would be a good choice . They can really idle down but put out some good heat if needed. The mark ll also can idle really good at low temps .

Dxhound

Post by Dxhound » Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 6:43 pm

Thanks for the great information. I really appreciate the feedback. Perhaps I can find someone who would trade a chubby with blower for my mark3. Thanks

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Mon. Mar. 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Dxhound wrote:
Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 6:43 pm
Thanks for the great information. I really appreciate the feedback. Perhaps I can find someone who would trade a chubby with blower for my mark3. Thanks
If I lived closer I would. Shipping would be a bear.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 03, 2021 11:30 am

Dxhound wrote:
Mon. Feb. 15, 2021 6:43 pm
The easiest thing to do would be to reduce the firebox size of your Harman. As others have mentioned, ashing the Chubby is more of a chore than it is on a Harman. To me it would be worth it to try reducing the size of the Harman to better meet your heating needs.

I did this with my Harman SF3500 that is way to big for my house. It has 6 grates that are exactly like the 3 that you have in your MK3. I removed the fire bricks, pulled the 3 rear grates out and flipped them 180 degrees. This puts the shaker on the other side so the rear grates no longer rock when you move the shaker handle. Then I piled fire brick on the rear grates to take up the space and reduce the fire box size. This cut the fire box size in half and works great.

I've never done it on a stove but I can't think of a reason that it wouldn't work. This way you don't have to buy and install another stove. All you have to do is get some bricks.

-Don

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sat. Apr. 03, 2021 3:06 pm

Vonda wrote:
Mon. Mar. 29, 2021 6:44 pm
If I lived closer I would. Shipping would be a bear.
Vonda, how do you buy coal in GA? I use Tractor Supply in KY, and they have to order it special.

Dxhound

Post by Dxhound » Sat. Apr. 03, 2021 4:06 pm

I found a chubby and will see how it works out. I am holding onto my Harmon for the time being just in case I change my mind. Thanks for the notes I appreciate the information.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”