Tractor Supply Kimmel Nut and Rice Sale

Gunny5821
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck 24
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite and local Bit

Post by Gunny5821 » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 9:29 pm

I know you posted this before, not to doubt your info, but their website is still active and google says there still in business. I'll call their number Monday morning and report back. The info on the pallet is dated 1-22-19 and inspected and signed by a gal named "Regina". This whole thing about who packed it, where it was mined, or who the mining company is that pulled it out of the earth, doesn't really matter to me because its the only anthracite we can get here in Alabama, and we're happy to get it.

Regards,

Richard
warminmn wrote:
Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 7:42 pm
Its not Kimmels. They just never changed the name in their stores and online from the 1st year they sold it. Kimmels is out of business. Some here have found tags from Reading in their pallets too. TSC really should change it to the proper name, Miners Choice. Lowes sold it for a while too but called it the right name.

I dont think anyone has found labels about where its packed before, Trinity Packaging in NY that you found.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 9:55 pm

They had filed bankruptcy but doing a google search I did find them on recent news so maybe they are in business again. Make sure to ask them if they sell coal to TSC anymore. The answer is likely no but maybe they are some if they are still in business. Wish I'd get some, lol. I had some Kimmels and it was nothing like TSC has been for years. What Ive gotten all but the 1st year has been Reading. Maybe 5 or 6 pallets since then. If you have had both you'd know the difference, LOL. But your right, maybe it doesnt matter. It would be nice if TSC corrected it on their website.

Heres a link to the topics started here that include TSC, starting with most recent, not just for you, but for others to search thru too. search.php?keywords=tsc&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf ... mit=Search

Gunny5821

Post by Gunny5821 » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 10:53 pm

Thanks, I will ask. I do wish we had other choices here, but I'm just glad Tractor Supply has something to burn. I would like to try some bituminous in this stove (Buck Model 24) which they say is designed as a multi-coal stove, but there is not a supplier that is close by that will sell it to individuals, plus you don't save much more than the TSC considering the round trip drive. I do have a nephew that says he runs into some old coal bins while he is doing foundation repairs, so I have him on the look out. Seems a lot of folks still have old coal left over in their basements from back in the sixties when coal was king here.

By your bio, it looks like you are in Minnesota. I had two young CID Agents working for me while I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA, back in the eighties, that were from Minnesota, great folks. He and she ended up getting married. Never made it up that far North, but understand it is beautiful country.

Question: Have you ever heard of a "Sunny Jim" heater/stove? Looks similar to a Warm Morning heater. Its made by Atlanta Stove Works. I remember a lot of area residents used them back when I was growing up. My dad said they was designed to burn coal and wood, but don't know about anthracite. I might install it in the front room and give it a try until I find something better. Wife really wants something fancy/antique like a small Glenwood base burner. This old Sunny Jim is in excellent condition, just sitting in the back of his out building.

Regards,

Richard
warminmn wrote:
Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 9:55 pm
They had filed bankruptcy but doing a google search I did find them on recent news so maybe they are in business again. Make sure to ask them if they sell coal to TSC anymore. The answer is likely no but maybe they are some if they are still in business. Wish I'd get some, lol. I had some Kimmels and it was nothing like TSC has been for years. What Ive gotten all but the 1st year has been Reading. Maybe 5 or 6 pallets since then. If you have had both you'd know the difference, LOL. But your right, maybe it doesnt matter. It would be nice if TSC corrected it on their website.

Heres a link to the topics started here that include TSC, starting with most recent, not just for you, but for others to search thru too. search.php?keywords=tsc&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf ... mit=Search

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 1:16 am

Gunny, looks like there are 7 active mines in Alabama.

I burned pellets for years wishing there was coal nearby. Just didn’t think there was anything around. Did a google search and found a bit mine 15 miles away. Gave them a call and they sell to anyone.

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 9:05 am

I bought a pallet a couple months ago and the regular price was $6.99 with the discount for a pallet quantity so my cost was around $450 with sales tax. I can't remember the exact number. After reading this thread I checked and looked into the senior discount. It wouldn't work here. The sale price is 2/$12 but they raised the retail price to $8.99/bag so I got 2 pallets for $635 including tax and the senior discount would have made it over $700 with the tax. I wish I could get away with jacking my prices up and down in my store like that.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 10:02 am

Gunny, Ive never heard of a Sunny Jim. There was anthracite available here 100 years ago as Ive seen it in old ads but the the only coal I remember as a child was bit. There were a couple places to buy it and then when they pulled the railroad tracks up in the 1970s that ended those. Now there is someone selling lignite that he hauls in himself, local Amish selling anthracite, and TSC.

I hear you Jerry. East of the Mississippi river its 6.99, west its 8.99 at TSC. It dropped back to 6.99 for a while and now 8.99 again.

Gunny5821

Post by Gunny5821 » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 7:49 pm

Jerry:

Hate to hear that the price(s) are higher in your area. I thought their prices were standard at all their stores.

Last season, my local store was out during an internet advertised sale on nut and rice, but a TSC 50 miles up the road had nut in stock. I called prior to making the trip and the manager said, he wouldn't honor the sale price and that it was up to the store manager to set the prices. I called corporate and the lady said she would make note of the store and manager. She advised me to make my purchase on-line and select that store during check-out. I ended up getting the 2 for $12 price, printed off my receipt and proceeded to the TSC to make pick-up. You might want to check next time on their website prior to making a purchase, because as I found out in store prices don't always match what they advertise on the website.

Regards,

Richard
jubileejerry wrote:
Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 9:05 am
I bought a pallet a couple months ago and the regular price was $6.99 with the discount for a pallet quantity so my cost was around $450 with sales tax. I can't remember the exact number. After reading this thread I checked and looked into the senior discount. It wouldn't work here. The sale price is 2/$12 but they raised the retail price to $8.99/bag so I got 2 pallets for $635 including tax and the senior discount would have made it over $700 with the tax. I wish I could get away with jacking my prices up and down in my store like that.

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 10:25 pm

That's exactly what I did. I called the store to verify they had enough inventory. I payed with Paypal. Tonight I picked it up and had 2200lb on my old '78 F150 and 1800 on my trailer. The truck sure rode nicely going home.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 7:27 am

Whoa. My old one ton dually gets squirrely when I get a ton on it.

I have a 79 f150 with the inline 300 six. Love that truck.

Lawrence p

Post by Lawrence p » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 8:48 pm

Kimmels is not out of business my supplier gets it form them every year including this year. He was unloading a shipment when I was there last week.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 11:27 pm

There is a nice discount at TSC for bags that have been already opened.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jan. 12, 2021 9:52 am

Glad to hear they are still in business! Are they mining the same mines they were 5 or 6 years ago?

Good idea to ask about open bags too.

fig

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 14, 2021 1:20 pm

Well I just wanted to report I’m having much better luck with this tsc coal. I’ve changed tending methods and I’m not ramping it up as hot as I was before prior to tending. I haven’t had anymore clinkers and the coal is burning to flakes now instead of rocks. So I need to point out it was mostly the operator.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Feb. 04, 2021 3:33 pm

I've burnt over 2 ton so far with TSC Rice and it is so nice. Been 4 seasons now with TSC and loved all of it. Burn 6ton or more a year.

Sunnyincolodado

Post by Sunnyincolodado » Fri. Feb. 19, 2021 12:07 pm

Jubileejerry: I’m trying to get ahold of Buck47 to ask if he has any chimney bricks for sale for a Locke 120. Steve said you might be able to help me get in tough with Buck. Could you help me with this please? Thank you

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”