Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Oct. 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Anlott410 wrote:
Thu. Oct. 15, 2020 3:40 pm
I'm a little confused by that. You said once the combustion fan shuts off. I didwnt think the combustion fan ever shuts off? Isn't that the fan blowing air under the coal bed? It runs constantly. I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding.
If one didn't use a wall thermostat to cycle the stoker ON & OFF THEN the fan must run constant...and also the stoker feed constant, but both at a modest setting according to outside temps.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 6:40 pm

My keystoker 90 combustion fan runs all the time, the idle box will move the stoker 2 mins every 10 mins, the thermostat should override the idle box and the stoker should run all the time until the thermostat is satisfied and then go back to the idle timer.
if the thermostat is not turned up high enough it will not kick in and keep the stoker running. at least on mine.

Anlott410
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Other Heating: Propane

Post by Anlott410 » Fri. Oct. 16, 2020 8:18 pm

Yea, my combustion fan runs 24/7 otherwise the fire would go out. When my thermostat calls for heat the pusher bar motor turns on and feeds coal until the thermostat is satisfied at which time it turns off. I'm still not sure what this has to do with my question. I understand how the stove in general works. I've had it for 8 years now. My question was because this year I've ran into problems and needed some guidance but as of now I'm dealing with the draft. I set the draft at .25 on full burn. I have already noticed it go up sense it's been idling for a couple of hours. It's around.035 not at idle. I was trying to figure out if this was ok or not. Now I'm assuming it will run high and then when it calls for heat it will drop back down hopefully. This forum is awesome and everyone on here knows what they are talking about.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Sat. Oct. 17, 2020 9:53 am

Ok.
the draft will vary some with more heat or less heat and/or depending on outside temperatures. On my Direct vent. I set mine around .04-.05 with a gauge hooked up all the time. and usually if it starts getting lower (.02-.03), my direct vent/pipe needs cleaned out. usually can go about 3 months or so. I have the combustion blower set to factory white line and adjust the Direct Vent for proper draft. I have my sense point on the side of the stove about 1/2 way.

I;ve had mine almost 20 years and never had a problem with draft/back burn or hopper fire. Always do a good cleaning, check all gaskets and seals, maintain proper draft, oil motors, etc....
just fired it up a couple weeks ago.

Kjensen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaskan Kast Console II

Post by Kjensen » Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 9:36 am

So I have an Alaskan Kast Console II, but I seem to be running into a similar problem. My stove will start up a nice fire, no matter the temperature outside. But once it goes beyond the 2 hour mark it starts to die down quickly. The entire time it burns it only produces the strong heat I'm used to within the first 3 hours.

During the day it usually burns in the middle of the grate, with about the entire grate full of coal to the top. At night fire backs up all the way to the hopper and gets really small.

I've moved the weight on the draft control to every position, and it doesn't seem to make a big difference.

I have attached the picture from this morning for reference.

Attachments

PXL_20201028_101722088.jpg

Morning fire line

.JPG | 176.5KB | PXL_20201028_101722088.jpg

Anlott410

Post by Anlott410 » Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 9:59 am

That fire line looks to be back farther than it should. It's at idle but it is also back towards the hopper. First question is can you adjust your feed rate to increase it a little? Second question is what is your barometric pressure reading at full burn? Third question is what happens when your thermostat is turned up? It sounds like it's calling for heat and then when it satisfies the thermostat it idles back down as it should. The fire line looks like it is set back which could mean your pressure is a little high.

Anlott410

Post by Anlott410 » Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 10:03 am

That fire line looks to be back farther than it should. It's at idle but it is also back towards the hopper. First question is can you adjust your feed rate to increase it a little? Second question is what is your barometric pressure reading at full burn? Third question is what happens when your thermostat is turned up? It sounds like it's calling for heat and then when it satisfies the thermostat it idles back down as it should. The fire line looks like it is set back which could mean your pressure is a little high. You will also want to make sure your burn plate has no air leaks in it besides the holes the combustion fan pushes air through. Is the pan cemented properly or at all? Are the air holes clean? I know this is a lot of questions.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 10:08 am

Masonry chimney or direct vent??

Kjensen

Post by Kjensen » Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Anlott410 wrote:
Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 10:03 am
That fire line looks to be back farther than it should. It's at idle but it is also back towards the hopper. First question is can you adjust your feed rate to increase it a little? Second question is what is your barometric pressure reading at full burn? Third question is what happens when your thermostat is turned up? It sounds like it's calling for heat and then when it satisfies the thermostat it idles back down as it should. The fire line looks like it is set back which could mean your pressure is a little high. You will also want to make sure your burn plate has no air leaks in it besides the holes the combustion fan pushes air through. Is the pan cemented properly or at all? Are the air holes clean? I know this is a lot of questions.
This fire puts off no heat. If I increase the burn rate the fire dies, along with a lot of coal just runs off the burn grate. There is not thermostat on this model of stove.

The grate should be seated correctly as far as I understand. I have been using the older model of this stove for the last 4 years and upgraded this year. Unfortunately this model is a lot more complex than the previous.

Anlott410

Post by Anlott410 » Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 1:41 pm

It sounds like it's calling for heat during the day and idling down at night. There has to be a way to control the stove temperature wise. There has to be some sort of thermostat. Someone more familiar with your model will chime in soon enough!

Kjensen

Post by Kjensen » Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 1:54 pm

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 10:08 am
Masonry chimney or direct vent??
Uhh I believe masonry chimney. I don't know the difference between the two honestly as my father is the one who put the chimney pipe in when we got our first coal stove. But it's dura vent double wall insulated pipe that runs up the wall and out the roof of our garage.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Nov. 02, 2020 9:55 pm

Kjensen wrote:
Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 1:54 pm
Uhh I believe masonry chimney. I don't know the difference between the two honestly as my father is the one who put the chimney pipe in when we got our first coal stove. But it's dura vent double wall insulated pipe that runs up the wall and out the roof of our garage.
Masonry is cement block.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”