new to me Harman super magnum

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks for the reply and starting procedure, I did get the draft plug loose but now I am concerned because when I plug the power cord in the only light that comes on is the power light. Shouldn't the status light come on also?

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Ok I have the stove fired up now, about 2 hours, it seems to be doing fine except the ashes are about 4 inches long on the bed. I know It needs some adustment so that the ash length is only about 2 inches long. My settings are 3 on the feed adjustment and the blower restrictor is closed about 2/3. Which adustment should I try, increase feed or close restrictor more?

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Dec. 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Try to back off on the feed. I only have it on 2 now. Try lowering it until the ash is not hot coals going over the edge when it's darn cold out.
I don't know what you mean by "ash"? red coals? if not red but spent coal then 4 in is fine. Means the stove isn't working hard to keep the house warm.

When I'm pluggd in only the power light is on if the stove is off.

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 7:29 pm

thanks captcaper, you are right on with your advice. I originally tried to increase my feed rate up to 4 and the spent ash was still 4 inches, then I saw your reply and went back to 2 and it seems to be doing fine now. And yes it was not working hard as it had been in the high forties for a couple days.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sat. Dec. 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Nice to hear. So my settings again are for the combustion blower opening ( back of stove in side door below the fines tray) flap is open 2/3rds the way. The feed is about 2. The hot air blower setting is at about 1/4 way other wise it turns on and off alot if set on high. Setting on 1/4 allows the blower to run slow but when demand is there it will increase.
Remember somehow the electronic brain senses demand thru the thermostat and will over ride our settings and give all it's got when demand is high. We here in Norhern NH will have a warm day in the 30's or 40's then drop down to well below zero and the stove keeps the home within a degree of the temp setting.
I can always tell when the temp drops during the night from my bed as I hear the hot air blower turning up alot. In a way the stove act's as a weather reporter. Ha.

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Once again thanks for your reply captcaper, I am a little lost on what you are referring to as 1/4 way on the hot air blower as I assume you are talking about the distribution blower and I do not know what control allows you to adjust that. I have to say that I could not be happier with how the super magnum is performing. It is in the basement of my home which is a 2 story with about 2300 sq ft on those floors plus 1000+ in the basement. The house is 24 yrs old and is super insulated. I have not ducted the stove at all, it is just blowing out into the basement area and yet down to 30 outside degrees the upper floors are maintaining 69 degrees and the stove is not working hard at all. Because of being so airtight I am using a fresh air duct into the stove. The quality of the coal I am using is excellent and I am sure that is a big plus. I am not even using half a hopper full a day.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Dec. 17, 2019 6:27 pm

The 1/4 way open or set to run is the motor that blows the hot air out of the stove. The motor is under the stove with a filter over it. There is a dial for it on the side of the stove in the panel with the feed dial,etc.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Jan. 14, 2020 8:00 am

Everything still working ok? I had cracked my glass again. 2nd time in years but expensive and tired of it. So I bought a piece of Aluminum 5/16 same as glass. Drilled a large hole 2" in the center and mounted a piece of the broken glass behind it. So I can still see the fire glow of Red and will never have a broke window which I couldn't see in anyway as cleaning was a PIA and didn't care being in the basement work area. As long as I can see the Red glow knowing it's fireing I'm good.

creekscout

Post by creekscout » Tue. Jan. 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Yes, everything is working perfectly, I could not be happier with acquiring this stove. It has not been really cold enough to challenge it yet, but I am sure it will be fine. I do have one question, how often do you empty the cleanout underneath the grates, I have not done that yet. My glass is OK but I only good enough to see the orange glow.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 4:57 am

on a side note. If I was you I would sift the Rice before dumping into the hopper. I have had chunks and pieces get by me and jammed the feed plate. This season I had the welds break on the pusher arm that pushes the feed block. Simple to get fixed but I know use a 1x1 in wire screen from TSC to sift the Rice thru into totes.
Yes this goes fot TSC coal and Blaschak which I used for years.

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 9:19 pm

I agree I ran an Alaska Gnome 40 last year and was getting some large chunks of coal I didn’t notice till the feeder motor gears got stripped when it jammed $150 lesson learned !!!

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Jan. 29, 2020 6:58 pm

I tried a 3/4 x 3/4 in mesh and it wouldn't sift thru. 1 x 1 should catch the worst of it.

Daveinpa
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Harman super magnum (2015)

Post by Daveinpa » Sat. Mar. 21, 2020 11:18 am

I’m in the same position as you.... great advice...

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Mar. 25, 2020 12:47 am

Been working good. Caught a few chunks etc this past few months. I now don't worry when loading the hopper from my plastic Walmart totes I dump in to pre-dry the Rice.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”