Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Jan. 08, 2020 12:36 pm

Loki npa wrote:
Wed. Jan. 08, 2020 2:48 am
Springwater..... that is hilarious. I went to school in Honeoye. My buddy used to live on 37 in Springwater. This was in the late 80s early 90s. Wasn't a coal shop there then. Wasn't much there as I recall lol. My kinda place! Might have to take a trip if they stock
He stocks a lot of stoves all the time and is always getting more and more in.
Since you know the area, he's on 15A just outside of town headed towards Hemlock. Back in the day it was the Hog Barn Harley shop next door.

Also I live on a road off of 37.

ohabanero
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Arden giant 084-65
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified Gibraltar LCC double door model
Coal Size/Type: Stove nut and pea
Other Heating: Burnham boiler #2 fuel oil

Post by ohabanero » Sun. Mar. 08, 2020 7:42 pm

Loki did you buy a stove yet? I'd say go for the Hitzer these guys mentioned if you can find one but there are a lot of great stoves like it available used for cheap on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. Guys here can assess them with good internal photos. Hitzer Russo Gibraltar Harman DS machine glacier bay just to name a few of the many great heaters. Get yourself a decent looking fire bricked stove with a blower. By decent I meant architecture. Rust can always be painted. A good quality grate system is important. You can google those brands in images and find out what some look like in the grate department and go from there. Certainly new is nice but you can find a super unit used and with a little TLC the savings will buy you tons (Literally) of coal.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 08, 2020 7:55 pm

Very well put O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Mon. Mar. 09, 2020 2:37 pm

Loki npa wrote:
Sun. Jan. 05, 2020 10:56 pm
Hello folks. Glad I found this place as I am pretty clueless on heating with coal. I will be moving to north/central Pennsylvania area in a couple months and would like to start using coal. I am very familiar with a woodstove, but....
It will be about 1,200 square feet and the insulation is unknown. I have no problem feeding it by hand. About how many tons of anthracite would I need? Any good stove recommendations? Local coal suppliers? Links so I can learn more? A good kick in the arse would be much appreciated. I think I may have hit the point simple google searches and eyeballing the forums won't cut it
chubby for sale here today in classified ads.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 09, 2020 3:19 pm

See that, you guys scared him off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRAZYBOBDS
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Heitzer 503
Other Heating: Oil

Post by CRAZYBOBDS » Tue. Mar. 10, 2020 7:36 am

I have a hitzer 503 insert and love it. Have used it as my only source of heat in a 2200 sq ft house for 6 years. I burn about 3 tons a year. The hopper really helps. When it’s above 40f I only need to touch the stove once a day. Anything under that I need to shake it down twice a day. Burns between 40 and 80 lbs a day.

I have gone away for weekends, damped it all the way down and come back 2 days later. Open the ash door and the stove lights right back up. It’s pretty impressive.

CRAZYBOBDS

Post by CRAZYBOBDS » Tue. Mar. 10, 2020 7:41 am

My most recent supply

Attachments

ohabanero

Post by ohabanero » Thu. Mar. 12, 2020 8:17 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Mar. 09, 2020 3:19 pm
See that, you guys scared him off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope not. This place is great . He's probably just busy moving all the crap he had no idea he owned to the new place. Last time I moved I vowed never again ... Unless the state helps :?

ohabanero

Post by ohabanero » Thu. Mar. 12, 2020 8:37 pm

CRAZYBOBDS wrote:
Tue. Mar. 10, 2020 7:41 am
My most recent supply
Bob just curious what are you paying for coal packaged like that by the ton? I get mine loose scooped onto the pickup and then have to shovel it all off into 55 gallon drums which is agin' my nature and why I'm burning coal in the first place... Laziness! :lol:
My local dealer sells blaschak and they will sell bagged by the 40lb but it's 320 a ton vs 220 loose so no contest. But I'd love to get what you have there for my pea coal. The stove coal is easy to shovel up so I don't mind it but the pea sticks in my bed liner... and my craw!

ohabanero

Post by ohabanero » Sat. Mar. 14, 2020 12:36 am

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Mar. 08, 2020 7:55 pm
Very well put O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Speaking of....
https://york.craigslist.org/for/d/freeland-coal-s ... 24788.html

Thats no giveaway but still not new price which is probably 2500 by now. I wouldn't want to pay that much though. I'd rather find one for 400 cuz I'm a chchchcheapskate

Loki said they didn't really care for the look of these though.

I can understand that. Most modern burners are not furniture grade like back in the day

The good lookin stoves seem to be a pain in the rear though compared to the heat machines... And nowhere near as powerful (usually). Although they'll hold their own in the right setting.
My philosophy is buy a fancy lookin radiant stove for your comfort space and get the heat machine stashed in an out of the way spot that counts then you can enjoy emptying two ash pans!

CRAZYBOBDS

Post by CRAZYBOBDS » Mon. Mar. 23, 2020 2:14 am

Ouch. I didn’t realize loose was so much cheaper. I am paying 320 a ton in 40 lb bags. I really don’t want to have to go outside to get the coal and I dunno if the 100 is worth the shoveling loose into containers. I’d have to weigh that time spent. Takes me long enough to get the bags off the truck. Lol

ohabanero

Post by ohabanero » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 11:45 am

So I just started burning pea this year first ever and after some fact checking my coal dealer will let me weigh in... Fill 5 gallon buckets myself off the pea pile so long as I stay out of the way and weigh out at the bulk price. That's my plan from here on out. Saving the 100 bucks and still having a nice clean bed and no shoveling! Yay! Maybe check into your dealers options. Mine even sells the buckets for 2 bucks each. 5 gallons and 40 lbs are near each other and you can probably just use the bucket to scoop it right off the pile. Plus they said the buckets stack 3 high pretty nicely in your storage area.

xackley

Post by xackley » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 11:21 pm

My boy has no place for a coal bin. I modified/raised the sides on a little 3x5 lowes trailer so it would fit 3/4 ton. He takes it to the Coal supplier, they use their loader to fill it, he parks it near the door and only has to shovel once when filing the hopper.
When icy cold, rice coal does require pick or mattock to make it fit in a bucket. I doubt that would be a problem with nut.
Don

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”