Saey Hanover II bimetallic adjustment?

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Fri. Nov. 01, 2019 4:01 pm

I'm working on swapping out my Waterford stove for the Saey I got a little while back and while doing some initial burns with it, it seems like the bimetallic damper might be off a little temp wise. I have about a 270 to 300 degree stove temp with a setting of over 6 which is more than 1/2 of the scale (1 to 8). I get a nice even burn and the damper seems to work but my concern is that, when I will need more out of it, the damper won't let me go much higher. Is there a procedure for checking the setting or verifying that it is correct? It seems to damp down alright ( I've been running it at about 168* for the last couple of days without a problem). Just really wondering what the procedure for initial setting of the bimetallic is.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Feb. 28, 2020 7:42 pm

Wow....this thread has one post since November 2019. Must not be too many here that have this stove...unless they missed this thread somehow. It happens and some posts fall through the cracks, but not many.

Did you ever get your stove up and running?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 9:48 am

this fella has just started up an Saey stove and had few problems, might be worth a look

Changed Stoves

JMHudsonValley
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey 92
Coal Size/Type: Pea Coal
Other Heating: Hand Fed Chubby Coal - Nut Coal

Post by JMHudsonValley » Sat. Mar. 07, 2020 1:51 am

Hey! I currently have the same issue but I do not have the Hanover. I have the Saey 92. I have a couple of friends that have the Saey 92 and Hanover 1 and it’s obviously not normal. My 1-3 do not work. The bimetallic damper is closed so I operate from 4-8.

My house is relatively larger so when I need to pump heat I put it to 7 and I get stove temps of 375* however; once the heating season finishes my buddies going to come over
And take a look at the thermostat with me. Trying to find any information is going to be hard. I live in NY; about 4 hours from the closest Saey Seller. I’m not sure if your location from the Bierly Group or Bowmans Stoves in PA can service them. I will tell you they aren’t the most helpful over the phone. I tried calling with questions and got very short/brief answers.

As long as you’ll be able to currently get through the heating season you’ll be okay. The important thing I was told by the Bierly Group; which is the only dealer listed on Saeys website, is that as long as the stove pipe temperature doesn’t go above 350 your stove is operating okay. I dont know what that translates to for stove temp top but be mindful of that!

Once I look at mine and troubleshoot it I’ll report back

ohabanero
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Arden giant 084-65
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified Gibraltar LCC double door model
Coal Size/Type: Stove nut and pea
Other Heating: Burnham boiler #2 fuel oil

Post by ohabanero » Sun. Mar. 08, 2020 6:34 pm

I'm not a saey owner but my Efel is basically it's precursor. I looked at some saey stoves long ago and believe they are the same air control. The Efel has a spring and screw adjuster on the air control door at the bottom AND just above that a bimetal plate adjuster bolt with a set nut. Maybe hidden by your rear shield. If You have this on your stove you can play with it and get a more suitable setting that corresponds to your lever adjuster. If you feel your stove is burning lower than the lever setting should allow, start by turning the upper bimetal plate adjuster bolt inward by first loosening the set nut then retighten the nut. only a small amount will visibly force the bimetal plate away from the arm it mounts to thereby opening the air door more at the same lever setting. the lever setting controls the arm movement. the other settings control your bimetal and air door to be at optimal levels based on your preference. the lower spring and screw on the door enables you to tweak the door angle to help it at lower settings by peeling open instead of popping open. the spring can be removed and bent apart to be angle shaped thereby opening one side of the air door on its edge first before it starts to open up completely. the screw on the spring then allows you to adjust how far it opens along its edge before it starts away from the whole opening. I set mine so it will just close at 500 plus face temp at just below full throttle and will hang fully open and unable to close at full throttle. That allows me to bypass it when I want to get my fire going by opening it up completely. If you fill your hopper on a really hot fire that's burning bright with the hopper completely empty, this setting will help gas off the new fuel without having to open your ash door. (Which is forbidden by every manufacturer even though we all do it!) :) I use a long fire poker to clean my firebox from above periodically because ash and clinker builds up at the rear and is easiest to clear this way when the hopper empties out. The fire is prepped first by ramping it way up so I can disturb it for several minutes without losing it. Once cleaning is done I top the fire off with a couple inches of fuel and gas it off with wide open throttle for a while and then fill hopper,gas off a bit more, and set to burn temp on the lever that I want.
Last edited by ohabanero on Sun. Mar. 08, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ohabanero

Post by ohabanero » Sun. Mar. 08, 2020 6:47 pm

A caution on my last post to anyone new to this type of stove. If you are having trouble getting it to burn real good. There are many factors that could be the cause so before you go messing the bimetal settings up just verify its open wide at full throttle . That's good enough to get your burning technique down pat before you tweak the bimetal settings. If the air door is open and mostly closed at full and no throttle respectively then it's operating properly enough to rule out as the reason for you not getting a good fire going. The adjustments are just a fine tuning per say of your already operating stove so don't make things worse by assuming the thermostat is your problem when it may just be not enough fuel or too much ash built up or poor draft etc.

ohabanero

Post by ohabanero » Sun. Mar. 08, 2020 7:10 pm

JMHudsonValley wrote:
Sat. Mar. 07, 2020 1:51 am
Hey! I currently have the same issue but I do not have the Hanover. I have the Saey 92. I have a couple of friends that have the Saey 92 and Hanover 1 and it’s obviously not normal. My 1-3 do not work. The bimetallic damper is closed so I operate from 4-8.

My house is relatively larger so when I need to pump heat I put it to 7 and I get stove temps of 375* however; once the heating season finishes my buddies going to come over
And take a look at the thermostat with me. Trying to find any information is going to be hard. I live in NY; about 4 hours from the closest Saey Seller. I’m not sure if your location from the Bierly Group or Bowmans Stoves in PA can service them. I will tell you they aren’t the most helpful over the phone. I tried calling with questions and got very short/brief answers.

As long as you’ll be able to currently get through the heating season you’ll be okay. The important thing I was told by the Bierly Group; which is the only dealer listed on Saeys website, is that as long as the stove pipe temperature doesn’t go above 350 your stove is operating okay. I dont know what that translates to for stove temp top but be mindful of that!

Once I look at mine and troubleshoot it I’ll report back
JM 2 things. 1 I'd stay below or at 300 when burning coal in the saey. 375 is probably ok but I can get well over 500 degrees face temp and still be at 250 on the first section of flue. If you start pushing 400 flue temp on these cast iron top hoppers you'll be buying expensive fire box parts in no time. Trust me on that because I've been there done that burning nut coal without the hopper trying to push the unit I have. (Efel Arden giant) The saeys were built almost identical in size and weight. Face temp is the real number to watch on these. At 600 face temp you'll be slowly burning up your hopper or your back smoke shelf diverter.

2 bierly is a hardware hvac building supply everything one stop shop family business. Big but small. The few or less guys that know the coal fire arts there are probably the experts on everything else there too and just busier than a one armed paper hanger. Great place though if you can get past the horse *censored* in the streets! Amish country! :lol:

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Mon. Mar. 09, 2020 3:47 pm

Hey thanks guys! This is some really helpful info, I have been running without any issues at all, the stove does run really nice. I run between 6 and 7 most of the time which translates to a face temp of 250* to 450*. I have an MPD on it which if I didn't it would run crazy. So for me it turned out to be not as much of a deal although I would like to lower the settings some to see those temps at a 4 to 6 range setting. :yes:

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Apr. 30, 2020 8:20 pm

Ohabenaro, do you have any pictures of that Efel? Is it wood/coal?

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”