Gallia insert

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 12:48 pm

In my hunt for baltimore heaters I spoke with a local antique deslee friend of mine and he gave me a lead for one, well it turns out the stove is a Gallia insert. The exterior looks in great shape and from what I can tell the interior is decent as well. Any experience with european made inserts? I didn't find any others in a forum search.

Attachments

FB_IMG_1581615957333.jpg
.JPG | 88.5KB | FB_IMG_1581615957333.jpg
20200213_124119.jpg
.JPG | 269.7KB | 20200213_124119.jpg

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Another view with it opened

Attachments

received_641949373208581.jpeg
.JPEG | 588.2KB | received_641949373208581.jpeg

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 2:10 pm

cdon

On this forum search for deville or see this thread on a similar stove
Deville DPF 600

If you decide against purchase, please let me know contact information for the seller.

Leo

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 3:04 pm

Looks good from what pix ya posted C--Real purty too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Looks like someone took good care of her.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 3:16 pm

is there a spout under the Gallia badge leading to a self feed magazine in that stove ?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 3:27 pm

Very pretty.

On seeing it with the door open, my first thought was, stand back,... it looks very hungry. :D

Depending on how much space you want to heat , as a coal insert, you may find it's "too insert". Not much heat radiating area sticking out into the room, like the Baltimore heaters.

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 4:04 pm

I don't know.... looking at how the fire pot is strongly oval, it seemed to me it could be very nearly flat backed.

i'd like to see a side on pic and a back pic. I doubt it's over biased to the back, wouldn't the makers of the time be pretty unlikely to make a mistake like that ?

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 4:17 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 4:04 pm
I don't know.... looking at how the fire pot is strongly oval, it seemed to me it could be very nearly flat backed.

i'd like to see a side on pic and a back pic. I doubt it's over biased to the back, wouldn't the makers of the time be pretty unlikely to make a mistake like that ?
This isnt from the same stove, however it is the exact same model of stove.

Attachments

Screenshot_20200213-161549_eBay.jpg
.JPG | 358.5KB | Screenshot_20200213-161549_eBay.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 4:54 pm

Steve,
Look at how much heat radiating surface area of Scott's Baltimore heater sticks out past the front of the fireplace. Direct draft Baltimore Heater

And that's not quite as much heat radiating area as the one that Coalnewbie has.

On looks this one is way ahead, but if I'm wanting to save money by switching to coal than I want a coal stove that sends as little of the heat it's making up the chimney as possible.

Paul

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 7:57 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 3:16 pm
is there a spout under the Gallia badge leading to a self feed magazine in that stove ?
I believe that is a self feed magazine or some sort of loading chute. I realized I will have much more luck researching this guy on French language websites.

Attachments

Screenshot_20200213-195444_Messenger.jpg
.JPG | 131.7KB | Screenshot_20200213-195444_Messenger.jpg

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 8:29 pm

C, you will be pleasantly surprised of the output of your heater.

Hopefully yours has the same air path ways as the link in blue, in the above post.

Them 8 mica windows will let some good heat out. Other types of heaters only have two or three little peep holes for windows.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 7:15 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 4:54 pm
Steve,
Look at how much heat radiating surface area of Scott's Baltimore heater sticks out past the front of the fireplace. Direct draft Baltimore Heater

And that's not quite as much heat radiating area as the one that Coalnewbie has.

On looks this one is way ahead, but if I'm wanting to save money by switching to coal than I want a coal stove that sends as little of the heat it's making up the chimney as possible.

Paul
time will tell I guess, a bigger question for me would be seemingly no convection circuit ?

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 9:45 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 3:27 pm
Very pretty.

On seeing it with the door open, my first thought was, stand back,... it looks very hungry. :D

Depending on how much space you want to heat , as a coal insert, you may find it's "too insert". Not much heat radiating area sticking out into the room, like the Baltimore heaters.

Paul
Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 4:54 pm
Steve,

Paul
I thought Cdon2948 wanted to make their house period correct ???, undo updates that previous owners did to the house, so a stove/insert is more an accessory than for utility. In any case, the picture posted of the house it looks like the chimneys are interior to the floor plan, so even if an insert does not convect into the room as well as a stove, an insert would not be as bad as if the chimney were on an exterior wall. Especially if flue pipe into the flue is sealed off so the hot air in the fireplace heats up the fireplace mass. Though if it were me, being that the fireplace hearths are level with the floor, I would try to make a franklin style work, even if I had to take the legs off, being an older home with tall fireplaces I imagine the flue exit would clear the opening.

New to the forum and coal for that matter.

As for a French antique, I was reading that coal used to be imported by ship into eastern cities until railroads were able to transport coal from the interior mines. Even afterwards there were still imports, but much less. My point, a foreign insert seems reasonable to meet a period correct. Just my ponderings

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 9:53 am

KingCoal wrote:
Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 7:15 am
time will tell I guess, a bigger question for me would be seemingly no convection circuit ?
Heres a back view of the same model stove, now it looks to me like it must have a convection circuit because if it was direct draft out the back you would surely see daylight coming through the exhaust pipe no?

Attachments

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 10:08 am

gardener wrote:
Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 9:45 am
I thought Cdon2948 wanted to make their house period correct ???, undo updates that previous owners did to the house, so a stove/insert is more an accessory than for utility. In any case, the picture posted of the house it looks like the chimneys are interior to the floor plan, so even if an insert does not convect into the room as well as a stove, an insert would not be as bad as if the chimney were on an exterior wall. Especially if flue pipe into the flue is sealed off so the hot air in the fireplace heats up the fireplace mass. Though if it were me, being that the fireplace hearths are level with the floor, I would try to make a franklin style work, even if I had to take the legs off, being an older home with tall fireplaces I imagine the flue exit would clear the opening.

New to the forum and coal for that matter.

As for a French antique, I was reading that coal used to be imported by ship into eastern cities until railroads were able to transport coal from the interior mines. Even afterwards there were still imports, but much less. My point, a foreign insert seems reasonable to meet a period correct. Just my ponderings
You are absolutely right my friend. The chimneys are interior to the floor plan. As a stopgap measure ive used a small kerosene heater on the hearth and with the pocket doors open it made the parlour and sitting room about 80-85 back around the first of the year so i would imagine even a decent insert would do the trick well. Despite the home being on the larger side the rooms are fairly small at around 14×14 and everyone has a door to retain heat if needed.
As for that insert it apparently came out of a salvaged local period home and I assume probobly was imported new. I also feel that such a stove would fit the house in that it was owned by fairly affluent people during its history (railroad CEO/US senator, 27th governor of Maine owned it briefly, a wealthy scottish, mexican war hero, local politician/banker and self made druggist who ended up owning both this home, the large townhouse next door and a storefront that is now a frostys donuts shop haha!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”