Bituminous Coal Sticking

Ultralume
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II, Godin 3720, Godin 3731
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut and Stove Coal

Post by Ultralume » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 9:04 pm

I have been using anthracite for years and never had an opportunity to try bituminous coal. Not knowing where to get some, I got a few pounds of "blacksmith coal" to try it out in a Vigilant II 2310 coal stove. I cracked the doors open ever so slightly to allow for secondary air to burn off the volatile gases. I really liked the bright bit coal flames. Certainly nicer to look. However, after the gases burned off, the bit coal left behind a big blob of coke. It stuck to itself and rather difficult to break up. Is this common with bit coal? If so, it must make it difficult to clean if it fuses to itself into a big blob of coke. Is there a better grade of bit coal for heating that doesn't blob up?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Hey but look--it's cheaper!!!! LOL

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Ultralume wrote:
Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 9:04 pm
I have been using anthracite for years and never had an opportunity to try bituminous coal. Not knowing where to get some, I got a few pounds of "blacksmith coal" to try it out in a Vigilant II 2310 coal stove. I cracked the doors open ever so slightly to allow for secondary air to burn off the volatile gases. I really liked the bright bit coal flames. Certainly nicer to look. However, after the gases burned off, the bit coal left behind a big blob of coke. It stuck to itself and rather difficult to break up. Is this common with bit coal? If so, it must make it difficult to clean if it fuses to itself into a big blob of coke. Is there a better grade of bit coal for heating that doesn't blob up?
Kentucky coal does not stick like that some coals are worse then others blacksmith coal is the worst for home heating.

Ultralume

Post by Ultralume » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 10:18 pm

I wonder where I can get some good bituminous coal just to try it out. I’m in upstate New York. I found that Aubuchon Hardware sells in 50 pound bags, but I don’t know if it’s blacksmith quality or not...

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Jan. 11, 2020 4:10 am

Most bituminous coals will coke. When you do your firing just use your poker or a piece of pipe to bust it up. Add your fresh coal, don’t snuff the fire, and your back in business.

Some soft coals do coke more than others.

kirtsy420
Hand Fed Coal Stove: alaska kodiak
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: clayton 1600
Coal Size/Type: rock coal. bituminous/ chest nut anthracite

Post by kirtsy420 » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 2:26 pm

im having the same problem. my bit coal came from the peabody mines out of southern Indiana. burns way to hot when first lighting. then once the gasses burn off there is hardly any coal left. cant keep a fire going unless im up all night messing with it.

Donb
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning
Coal Size/Type: Nut in both
Other Heating: Propain

Post by Donb » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 9:35 pm

Ultralume....don’t know where you are but Mulholland near Saratoga Springs, NY has bit nut in 40# bags. Pretty pricy though. We use it in the 7-1/4” gauge steamers out behind the house.

Don

Attachments

Ultralume

Post by Ultralume » Tue. Jan. 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Interesting.... have to look it up. Thanks

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 10:03 pm

The bit I burn does it as well. It lights off easy, burns real hot then settles down to goo. In about 3 hours it’s ready to bust up. It will then burn for another 3 hours. That’s in this Hotblast stove. In the Warm Morning stove it will burn for 12 hours. I had to change to anthracite in the Hotblast because the fire was always out when I got home from work. I burn bit on the weekends or whenever I can tend it more often. I actually prefer the bit. I get way more heat off of it.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Wed. Feb. 12, 2020 12:57 am

One thing you can try to make the bituminous coal stick less

and fall down is to put a wood split in half way through the fuel

load so as to create a empty space as the wood burns and lets

the coal fall into that space. The wood will burn out faster than

the coal so this will work in some stoves.

BigBarney

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”