Kinda sorta clueless on coal

Loki npa

Post by Loki npa » Sun. Jan. 05, 2020 10:56 pm

Hello folks. Glad I found this place as I am pretty clueless on heating with coal. I will be moving to north/central Pennsylvania area in a couple months and would like to start using coal. I am very familiar with a woodstove, but....
It will be about 1,200 square feet and the insulation is unknown. I have no problem feeding it by hand. About how many tons of anthracite would I need? Any good stove recommendations? Local coal suppliers? Links so I can learn more? A good kick in the arse would be much appreciated. I think I may have hit the point simple google searches and eyeballing the forums won't cut it

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Jan. 05, 2020 11:38 pm

You landed in the promised land of coal burning, welcome, and keep the questions coming.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Jan. 06, 2020 12:43 am

There are some good threads listed in the Popular Hand Fired Coal Stove Topics thread. The basics are covered there.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Mon. Jan. 06, 2020 9:43 am

Loki npa wrote:
Sun. Jan. 05, 2020 10:56 pm
Hello folks. Glad I found this place as I am pretty clueless on heating with coal. I will be moving to north/central Pennsylvania area in a couple months and would like to start using coal. I am very familiar with a woodstove, but....
It will be about 1,200 square feet and the insulation is unknown. I have no problem feeding it by hand. About how many tons of anthracite would I need? (Going in blind, 1200sf, 5tons) Any good stove recommendations? (Lots of good choices new/used? Its like trying to answer Ford vs Chevy) Local coal suppliers? (Nearest town and a quick google search will yield quick results. Others will chime in with their preferences)Links so I can learn more?(Use the search function and learn away) A good kick in the arse would be much appreciated.(I will defer to close friends or family) I think I may have hit the point simple google searches and eyeballing the forums won't cut it

Loki npa

Post by Loki npa » Mon. Jan. 06, 2020 8:27 pm

Thanks for all the quick replies. I have been hitting the forums secretly for about a month before I registered and it has been very helpful. Reading my first post again I may have slightly exaggerated my lack of understanding lol. I will try to be more precise with my questions. That will probably be easier! Where I am at now is stove size. Wish I could look at a few side by side, but I haven't found anyplace to do that (Buffalo NY). I do know I want something front and center, not hidden in the basement. Some of the antique stoves I've seen here are just fantastic. That's what I really want, but probably can't afford. And I'm 99.9% sure I will end up in the Emporium area. And I know Pennsylvania is coal country, but when I searched Google for Emporium pa coal for sale the results kinda sucked. Putting the cart before the horse anyway. Ok, first real question, Is a chubby stove large enough for a 1,200 sf One story? I like the looks better than any other new stove I have seen

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jan. 06, 2020 8:54 pm

If you know the BTU rating of your furnace and how easy it keeps up will give you an idea.. And also the efficiency of your furnace.

Coal stoves have btu ratings, but they are rated higher than they could be used. You always want a bigger stove than you need because if you overfire a stove all the time you will waste a lot of coal. Its easier to have to crack a window sometimes then trying to create more heat you dont have. You live where coal is cheap so a little waste wont matter.

If you are lucky enough to have 2 chimneys it simplifies it and you just get 2 stoves, a big one and a small one. You can put 2 stoves side by side on the same chimney if you have a good draft but it isnt done often.

I dont know what Chubby efficiency is, or very many of the others either.

Edit: how many gallons of fuel it takes to heat your house in a cold year, with the efficiency of your furnace, might be a better indicator for what stove you need. Your furnace may be a lot over sized as far as its btu rating.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 4:40 am

Loki npa wrote:
Mon. Jan. 06, 2020 8:27 pm
And I'm 99.9% sure I will end up in the Emporium area. And I know Pennsylvania is coal country, but when I searched Google for Emporium pa coal for sale the results kinda sucked.
That's very close to me. I can hook you up with a few coal source options. The heart of Anthracite country is actually towards the south eastern section of PA. Emporium is a little west of central PA.

DENNIS BAUER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Loki npa wrote:
Mon. Jan. 06, 2020 8:27 pm
Thanks for all the quick replies. I have been hitting the forums secretly for about a month before I registered and it has been very helpful. Reading my first post again I may have slightly exaggerated my lack of understanding lol. I will try to be more precise with my questions. That will probably be easier! Where I am at now is stove size. Wish I could look at a few side by side, but I haven't found anyplace to do that (Buffalo NY). I do know I want something front and center, not hidden in the basement. Some of the antique stoves I've seen here are just fantastic. That's what I really want, but probably can't afford. And I'm 99.9% sure I will end up in the Emporium area. And I know Pennsylvania is coal country, but when I searched Google for Emporium pa coal for sale the results kinda sucked. Putting the cart before the horse anyway. Ok, first real question, Is a chubby stove large enough for a 1,200 sf One story? I like the looks better than any other new stove I have seen
It's a little bit of a drive but there is a place on the edge of Springwater, NY. Flirting with 2 hours from you. It's Call "The Coal Shop" He carries a large selection of stoves in stock. I personally would look into his site or facebook page.

Also I heat about the same area at my house, and I will 100% put my money behind The Hitzer 50-93. It's a heating monster, Has a hopper that will help with the learning curve with burning coal and is very easy to use. It's a good stove to start with and down the road you can keep your eye out of an old stove you like the looks of but you'll have the basic knowledge of how to make it work.

I love my 50-93, mine sits right in my kitchen/dining room. You can buy them will gold trim and in different colors. They are a bullet proof stove.

One more thing, that I had a hard time getting used to being a wood burner growing up. Is to stop poking and messing with the coal. Get it going and let it go. No screwing around with it like you do with the wood stove. Its VERY HARD to do this when you first get it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 1:40 pm

+ 1 on the 50-93 ------------------------------------

DENNIS BAUER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 2:26 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 1:40 pm
+ 1 on the 50-93 ------------------------------------
I knew you'd jump in. I was just excited I beat you to it this time!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 4:19 pm

Damn it--just comes with getting old I reckon--after reading your post--I didn't have anything at all to add!! :)

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 6:11 pm

Lightning wrote:
Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 4:40 am
That's very close to me. I can hook you up with a few coal source options. The heart of Anthracite country is actually towards the south eastern section of PA. Emporium is a little west of central PA.
Emporium is half way to the middle of nowhere but that's not a bad thing.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 6:44 pm

gaw wrote:
Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 6:11 pm
Emporium is half way to the middle of nowhere but that's not a bad thing.
It's just up the road from me. On the road from nowhere to somewhere.

Lots of coal around here, Bit and Ant.
Too many choices.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 8:08 pm

Gotta watch out, these fellows would put a Hitzer 50-93 into a fish house :lol: They really like them. Im sure it would fit your needs.

Loki npa

Post by Loki npa » Wed. Jan. 08, 2020 2:48 am

DENNIS BAUER wrote:
Tue. Jan. 07, 2020 1:01 pm
It's a little bit of a drive but there is a place on the edge of Springwater, NY. Flirting with 2 hours from you. It's Call "The Coal Shop" He carries a large selection of stoves in stock. I personally would look into his site or facebook page.

Also I heat about the same area at my house, and I will 100% put my money behind The Hitzer 50-93. It's a heating monster, Has a hopper that will help with the learning curve with burning coal and is very easy to use. It's a good stove to start with and down the road you can keep your eye out of an old stove you like the looks of but you'll have the basic knowledge of how to make it work.

I love my 50-93, mine sits right in my kitchen/dining room. You can buy them will gold trim and in different colors. They are a bullet proof stove.

One more thing, that I had a hard time getting used to being a wood burner growing up. Is to stop poking and messing with the coal. Get it going and let it go. No screwing around with it like you do with the wood stove. Its VERY HARD to do this when you first get it.
Springwater..... that is hilarious. I went to school in Honeoye. My buddy used to live on 37 in Springwater. This was in the late 80s early 90s. Wasn't a coal shop there then. Wasn't much there as I recall lol. My kinda place! Might have to take a trip if they stock

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”