I have absolutely no “stove” control bought a 1357

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Steep learning curve. I threw in the towel on the bbq burner over fire air. I don’t think it was providing near enough air. It worked great with wood but it wasn’t doing anything with coal.

It was also limiting how much coal I could pile in. Now that I pulled it back out I can really load it up the way I want. I put about 60 lbs in.

The v box really lends to bridging of this coal. I didn’t have that issue with the warm morning I’m sure due to its design. I busted up that 60 lb bridge and this thing shot from *350 to *750 in about 60 seconds. That over door thermometer looked like the second hand on a clock. I sure am glad I have a mpd. I shut everything down and the temps dropped about 5 minutes later.

I also ditched my mica in the door vents. It just sooted up too quickly. I can just peer threw the door vents.

Actually those door vents provide a huge amount of air over the top. It is really running much better during re load. I’m pulling the hot coals to the front and shoveling fresh into the rear. This is causing all those gases to roll under the baffle and through the flame in the front of the stove. The overfire air I had set up wasn’t putting near this much air in. Maybe it needs another run of pipe added to it. I may try again later. TBH I’m petty surprised at how well those door vents are working.

Attachments

Last edited by fig on Mon. Dec. 30, 2019 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sun. Dec. 29, 2019 9:49 pm

Looking good.

Honestly these Hotblast furnaces seem to me like they are set up well for bit from what I been seeing.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Dec. 30, 2019 12:58 am

Yeh I kind of wish I had just tried it in its original form instead of making the mods I did before even firing it. Seems to be burning much better now.

fig

Post by fig » Tue. Dec. 31, 2019 1:00 am

The temps dropped a little today and the wind is howling. It’s *32 The house is staying at *71 but I’m spending a lot of time in the basement to keep it there.

I’m off work so it’s not an issue but it will be when I go back. I can only get a 7 hour burn running this stove while maintaining *71.

I’m afraid my suspicions may be correct. This stove might be undersized for my house. Guess I’ll keep an eye out for a bigger stove. Maybe I’ll just build a bigger one or I could modify this one over the summer. At any rate, I don’t think this one will work out for me when the temps drop even more unless I can figure out a way to extend the burn.

rmishler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman tlc
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Ecomiser
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by rmishler » Thu. Apr. 29, 2021 4:38 pm

I think I know what the flat grate is but what’s a riddler? How are you going to shake your ash down

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Apr. 29, 2021 6:21 pm

rmishler wrote:
Thu. Apr. 29, 2021 4:38 pm
I think I know what the flat grate is but what’s a riddler? How are you going to shake your ash down
With the use of a sword that has inverted teeth. It gets inserted between the flat grate and the coal bed. A little messy but it worked SO MUCH better than the rocking grates. More information in the link below.

Riddle Method for Ash Clearing

Return to “Bituminous Coal Heating General Topics”