Hunting in Mass

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 10:03 pm

Opening day for Shotgun Deer season is December 2nd. I'm working and dont care to be shot so I'll go out on the third. Hope to see some fresh tracks in all the fresh snow. This will be my Son Thomas's first year hunting.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Good luck! And I wish my sons had been able to hunt. The deer herd was decimated in E. Maine when I was in my late teens and by the time they were of age it had not improved and I refused to ride around town in a truck looking for one in a yard. We got 16 in VA this year, a down year, but they are tasty!

Kevin

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 10:13 pm

KLook wrote:
Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 10:10 pm
Good luck! And I wish my sons had been able to hunt. The deer herd was decimated in E. Maine when I was in my late teens and by the time they were of age it had not improved and I refused to ride around town in a truck looking for one in a yard. We got 16 in VA this year, a down year, but they are tasty!

Kevin
16! I've heard they were plentiful in PA and OH but I guess VA is on that list as well! I'd love to move up to Maine. Been pestering my wife to do it.

KLook

Post by KLook » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 10:42 pm

West VA is even better based on car/deer impacts.....There are plenty of deer in Maine now in the Southern and mid coast and interior central Maine. There are very few in Western, Northern, and Eastern Maine except for right in the towns, literally. A few pockets exist where people are super aggressive at controlling coyotes like the guys in my area that use dogs to hunt them like rabbits. Maine is beautiful and still somewhat wild, but there is a plan for a park, the people just are in the way. Don't move there unless you have a pocket full of money......Scarce good jobs, high taxes, low services, horrible winters and a summer full of biting flies and now the ticks with Lyme disease. Some of this is negated if you move into what we natives call, "Northern Mass" or the area from Kittery to Augusta and up the coast to Bah Hahba.....

Kevin

ASea

Post by ASea » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 11:10 pm

I'm a Paramedic so I can get a decent paying job just about anywhere. Also gonna get my CDL. With the equity in my current home I could pay cash. I was looking in the Greenville and Patten areas. So far I'm all talk, we'll see what the future brings.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 12:37 am

ASea wrote:
Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 10:03 pm
Opening day for Shotgun Deer season is December 2nd. I'm working and dont care to be shot so I'll go out on the third. Hope to see some fresh tracks in all the fresh snow. This will be my Son Thomas's first year hunting.
You hunt like me, at least how i used too, after the opening morning fireworks! I didnt/wont hunt in fog or heavy snowfalls either when I cant see. Rain is great, chases the rookies away. Cold weather too. Shot a deer hunting alone when close to -10?? and windy with a T/C .54 Renegade with a round ball once when nobody else even thought of going out. Froze my fingers reloading that rifle, I think I had to use a handwarmer while reloading it, crossed a half frozen river trailing it with simple winter boots with water running into them and surprised I didnt lose a toe or two to frostbite, lol. i dont remember what that deer tasted like but I sure remember the hunt. The meat taste will be long gone but the memories of the hunt last forever. Thats what matters, the hunt. Have fun!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 7:52 am

Got a big pure white buck around here, never saw anything like it.

KLook

Post by KLook » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 8:30 am

We used to have a piebald doe in our yard with her various offspring that were anywhere from normal to blotchy. We did have a white buck also from her kids. Poaching took the most of them.
I have some great hunt memories as well warminmn, never used to worry about other hunters, no one ventured far past a road by the 1970's except a few like me. Had the woods all to myself for the most part.

Kevin

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 8:44 am

So far, this year is turning out to be a bust.

Last year, opening day morning sounded like a range war going on in the frams around my daughter's land. Just about when I thought,.... with all that shooting there won't be any deer left, a nice big doe walked up to my stand.

This year, opening morning, much fewer shots heard, and hardly any tracks seen in the snow. Only saw one spooked doe racing through the trees on the far side of the little valley I set up in. Neighbor's kids said they've seen a couple of bucks on our land, but they don't come around when I'm there. :cry:

Paul

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 10:21 am

Native Americans believe shooting a white deer brings many consequences C. Just sayin.
coaledsweat wrote:
Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 7:52 am
Got a big pure white buck around here, never saw anything like it.

ASea

Post by ASea » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 12:56 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 12:37 am
You hunt like me, at least how i used too, after the opening morning fireworks! I didnt/wont hunt in fog or heavy snowfalls either when I cant see. Rain is great, chases the rookies away. Cold weather too. Shot a deer hunting alone when close to -10?? and windy with a T/C .54 Renegade with a round ball once when nobody else even thought of going out. Froze my fingers reloading that rifle, I think I had to use a handwarmer while reloading it, crossed a half frozen river trailing it with simple winter boots with water running into them and surprised I didnt lose a toe or two to frostbite, lol. i dont remember what that deer tasted like but I sure remember the hunt. The meat taste will be long gone but the memories of the hunt last forever. Thats what matters, the hunt. Have fun!
Sounds like a great time.I love to hunt when it's snowing. Definitely need to pay attention to your compass! My Father used to leave before sun up and come home after sun down. He thoroughly enjoyed hunting! We'd see him for Thanksgiving and then he'd be in the Woods till Christmas. LOL

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 12:57 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 10:21 am
Native Americans believe shooting a white deer brings many consequences C. Just sayin.
He's safe with me, I don't hunt.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 1:54 pm

I wonder how many white deer are from game farms or related to them causing them to be white/albino? I know Ive seen white raccoons, skunks back when they were legal to raise here, mink, maybe others Ive forgotten, at game farms. There are albino deer on game farms too.

I didnt know the white deer/Native thing but knew about white buffalo.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Hunting with landowners permit stated here around two weeks ago. My friend has been out on my property for about 5 days and very little signs or tracks. The coyotes came back around about 1 month ago. I can hear them bellowing every night. He usually gets one every year that we cut up and package in the garage. not looking for any trophy's just want venison. If we could only find the coyotes and take them out. He did get a nice buck 2 years ago.
IMG_1117.jpg
.JPG | 169.6KB | IMG_1117.jpg
My friend Rick with his buck

ASea

Post by ASea » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 2:15 pm

Nice Deer homesteader! Hope it was good eating.

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”