Hitzer/Schwartz/Country Charm

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 11:33 pm

When I went back up to Berne, Indiana last weekend, I also took the time to go back to Schwartz Manufacturing to get information for the forum about the Country Charm hand fed cook stove. It’s a Hitzer 55, I was told, converted to a cook stove and oven. I personally don’t think the Hitzer stove they used is a 55 because the 55 seems too tall to me. Dean at Hitzer could probably answer the question though.

Here’s a few pictures of the stove that I took off of a brochure...don’t think there’s been any posted before. Next time I go back I’ll try and take some pictures of an actual stove.

Was told the stove has a few option for a short back or a tall back with warming shelf. When I first heard of this, at the forum get-together, all I can recall was a porcelainized stove, but apparently, according to the picture of the price sheet below, the stove can be bought bare steel, or painted perhaps.
Last edited by Hoytman on Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Here’s some other products Schwartz Manufacturing offers.
54450D66-AEA6-422E-AB22-7667DCF6B768.jpeg
.JPEG | 785KB | 54450D66-AEA6-422E-AB22-7667DCF6B768.jpeg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 11:39 pm

I thought the 55 was the same height and width as the 82 but was about half as deep???

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 11:52 pm

Just looked at the back of a Hitzer brochure to check for you Larry. The 55 is 37.5” tall and the 82 is 42” tall...which confirmed my memory of seeing them side-by-side last weekend.

Looks like the CC stove is only 36” tall. That’s pretty close to the 55 I suppose. I didn’t get to look again at the cook stove, but from memory it seemed even shorter to me. I guess I was mistaken...or at least I did notice a slight difference.

55/82... depth is 26”/28”...width 17”/20”.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 11:57 pm

Thanks Bill :)
I remember when at Schwart's them proudly showing us their Amish Microwave Oven. ;)

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 11:59 pm

That “micro wave” is pictured above...as is the “coffee maker” which is nearly 3 times the price of a Bunn. Lol!!! I wanted to buy one, but they’re proud of them. Must have gave me the “English” price list. 🤪🤫

Did you make to this years gathering? We wanted to go, but had friends sick, passed away, etc.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 12:10 am

Yes, I did make it. Maybe there will be another chance for you folks gather and to go and see AHS.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 1:52 am

Care to share your thoughts via pm?

Freedom
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby jr.
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Freedom » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 7:10 am

Nice looking stove . Amish microwave ha ha that was a good one

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 7:28 am

Hi Bill, thanks for posting those esp. the kitchen range/ oven. that thing blew me away when we were there last year. has a lot going on in a smaller footprint. in the right floorplan in could be the sole heat source with ease, or a perfectly good kitchen / back end of large house appliance.

some very smart people at both Hitzer and Schwartz

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 11:30 am

I agree, Steve. I am going to go back up there in a few weeks, maybe sooner. I'll need more coal and some door hinge pins that I forgot. I found one that's bent and it's creeping upward in use (no I don't have it hooked up yet).

Maybe you'd be interested in taking another look at that cookstove. Would be nice to have you there for your input. I'll even offer to buy you lunch at the Back 40 Junction.

Since seeing this I've also been intrigued by this stove...especially if it functions similar to a base heater. I'd want to study it a little more. If it is similar that could really benefit us with our home size and floor plan given it's smaller size. Would save a lot on heat, coal...by being able to extract even more heat that the 55 alone, and save on propane as well. Let me know if you're interested. We could meet up. Just throwing that out there.

Otherwise, when I go up there I'll see if they'll let me take some pictures of an actual stove. Maybe someone already took some. If so, please post them in this thread.

Also, do you remember that stainless steel stove they had...the one with the large water tank on top? I think I have a brochure for it in the car. I'll try and post pictures and details of that stove on this thread too. That stove was sitting in the Hitzer factory showroom as well as at Schwartz Manufacturing showroom. By the way, that 55 in the Schwartz showroom was idling along. I'm impressed by that little stove. Nothing fancy...but you can't get warm on fancy. (Taken from chuckwagon cook Cowboy Kent Rollins on youtube...says..."you can't get full on fancy".)

Err...well...in our case with antique coal heating and cooking stoves I'll correct myself. I guess you can get full on fancy. LOL!! :mrgreen:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Nov. 08, 2019 1:07 pm

this month is already full of "maybe's" esp. the 16th/17th and 23rd/24th though I don't know if any of it is going to happen.

I do know i'm replacing a front wheel hub on my pick up tomorrow so that I can actually use it if I need to.

it would be a shame if the exhaust path on the Schwartz kitchen stove doesn't circulate all the way around the oven before exiting. to me it would be better to have a slightly smaller oven to be able to have room for that feature.

we are looking at down sizing in about a year after I retire and the right little place with a stove like that would be a real winner in our eyes.

of course that means clearing 22 yrs. worth of accumulated stuff from the current house and property, man i'm not looking forward to that.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 11:16 am

Well let me know if something comes up free. I can pretty much shake free at any time.

Wait a Segundo and I’ll post pictures of that stainless steel Hitzer Hot Water model stove, as it’s called.
Last edited by Hoytman on Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 11:20 am

Here they are...the Hitzer Hot Water model.
Do you guys remember that stove now? I think it’s a neat stove. Has a built in 33gsllon water reservoir right on top complete with thermometer. Talk about a heat sink!

Indoor or outdoor use, burns wood/anthracite/bituminous. Thermostatically controlled...I’m sure by the same bi-metallic on other Hitzer stoves. Other options are water coil accessories, additional water tank add-one 6gallon and 12 gallon. The door on this thing opens and closes like silk...literally one finger.

I’m not sure how much water vapor would escape from the tank in a day, but as long as it wouldn’t put too much humidity in the house, and as long as the tank was kept full of water, it’s possible this design could rival a soapstone stoves heat holding ability...and maybe surpass it.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Nov. 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Bum-bum-bum-bum-bump

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”