Full Time Boiler Career?

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 7:27 am

As many of you know, I have had cancer now for three years, and the damage has been pretty significant. I have been hoping for years that a medical change would happen, and I would feel better, but it just does not seem to be. Reluctantly I went to my local career center and learned I am considered a "Displaced Farmer", meaning through no fault of my own, I cannot farm. In my case, my brain tumor limits my physical activity.

But the USDA has a program to help people like me get retrained for a job they can do. It has to fit the criteria of being a job in high demand, and must pay high wages. I have always liked boiler type work, and thought being a boiler tech would work well for me. I can do physical work, just in short bursts, not like farming requires, and I cannot handle too much stress because I have a silly tumor pressing on my brain stem which causes some havoc. And it is a listed job that they will help train for.

I would specifically like to get into Boiler Work, but with the ability to install solid fuel appliances. For whatever reason, there are very few boiler guys that have this endoresement. I am not exactly sure what getting that entails, but that is what I would like to get.

Beyond just having a natural affinity for this type of work, I would think it is pretty unstressful, not that demanding physically, and is seasonal. I mow the sides of teh road forseveral area towns, and like it so much, I would hate to give that up. Working September to June would seem like it would work well with my June-August mowing schedule.

Does this sound like a good plan? All I have ever done is weld and feed sheep, so it is kind of scary to do something new, but I cannot do those jobs anymore.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 8:15 am

I think that might entail heavy physical work, and in a rural area not much demand.

I think something that uses your skill in writing might be more appropriate.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 9:13 am

NO on the boiler work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A big plus 1 on FB's suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 9:25 am

As someone who has installed a few solid fuel boilers, I would not recommend it. It requires a fair amount of physical effort. If you are interested in learning how to design heating systems, that is a different story. The design work can be done with software and your brain. Getting paid for it is a different story, there may not be much demand for this service in your area.

I think Franco's suggestion is a good one. You seem to be a talented writer and photographer.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 10:05 am

My Dad talks to a Vet quite often who cannot handle stress and he tried a lot of jobs that he could not handle. Some were dealing with people which were stressful, etc. After many different jobs mowing at a golf course is what he settled on and can do with no problems and I see you like mowing too. Doing anything outdoors helps as it is slightly like farming was. Perhaps there are other mowing jobs you can find, and then as mentioned, writing also. Many papers accept freelance stories, besides book writing and photography.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 10:41 am

Could you train people to weld, be an instructor?...
You have a wealth of knowledge tucked away in your head, could you be a consultant?...
Work for the USDA to help farmers...
Forestry management...
Welding inspector...
As they say work smart not hard...
Let the kids do the grunt work, you get the easy seat and ride along and supervise...
Lots can be done on the 'puter...
Drones can see the farm...
is the tumor inoperable?...

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 10:42 am

Nice to see you back on the forum...

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Yes, it is inoperable. It is located in a very difficult to access spot on the brain side of the Pituitary Gland, so it is a 50/50 shot on whether I would survive the surgery. So for now they are just trying to pump me full of the hormones my Pituitary is unable to produce, which makes me very stressed.

I have hoped for three years now modern medicine would come through for me, but even a trip to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center proved there is not much they can do. Its not fatal, just no real cure. My doctor has insisted that I go on Disability, but I am trying to fight it; it just seems like there is something I can do for society. I thought maybe being a boiler tech guy would work, but that is why I asked on here, I am not one of those guys that ask a question wanting validation...it was a legitimate question, and I thank you for your honest answers.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 3:56 pm

As for writing, it is interesting that you mention that. I just got off the phone with a potential publisher today.

I wrote a book over the winter; a 170 page memoir about the stuff that Katie and I have gone through. I am not sure if anyone remembers, but it was almost a; Job-of-the-bible experience. First there was cancer, then unable to work I had a friend who was a logger come in to help pay my property taxes, he ended up stealing some $18,000 worth of wood, so to pay the taxes we ended up selling farming equipment, and then sold most of the sheep just to get by. Cancer returned for a second round, which just happened to be the day before we lost our son. But I love geology, and had an inclination that something big was here. It took 5 years to find it, but I found it, so there is that story intermixed with some heartache.

One of the biggest discoveries was on March 20th, 2019, when digging in a stream I found an ultra rare Palladium Nugget. There are only 20 places on earth that has been found, and I will be dared if Maine is not one of them.

On every step on the way, God just asked, "Is Jesus enough?"

It seems easy to answer when you are a Christian, but when you constantly get beaten down by life, it is a hard question to answer. I got nothing left guys, finances, health, equipment, a farm...but I am here to say Jesus really IS enough.

The book is called, "Greater than Gold", and I meant every word written, and that is from a couple who lost a child.

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Have you thought about going to Boston for an opinion...
Like MGH...
Not knocking DH but...
Sorry to hear about the loss of your son...
You could also self publish...

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 9:24 pm

WOW, i've been wondering what happened to keep you out of circulation for so long since your last posting.

this of course is not the "hey, i got better and this is all the stuff we have done since " info i was looking for but, as you say, you are alive the tumor is a grave bother though not terminal and you are looking for added income opportunities.

many good suggestions so far. i'm a bit behind my emotions for you right now so i'll ask God for wisdom in this and see what i hear.

i would like to buy a copy of your book no matter how it could be made available. i like the idea of self publishing and have a network of trustworthy people do distributing for you.

all the best,
steve

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Funny you popped back in, I was thinking about you as I came across from Augusta last summer. Had to drop the sister in law off in Belfast and pick up her side by side and take it downeast. Now we are hoping she will move down here to Tenn. Unreal story, I am losing a cousin any day now to cancer, up in the Machias area. I have seen some real bad timber harvest deals and the thieves always win.....amazing.
I think with your religious background and welding skills you should move down to this area, seriously, there are many jobs available and supervising welders might be your ticket.

Kevin

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Oct. 05, 2019 5:37 am

CapeCoaler wrote:
Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 7:50 pm
Have you thought about going to Boston for an opinion...
Like MGH...
Not knocking DH but...
Sorry to hear about the loss of your son...
You could also self publish...
My father has the same thing I do which kind of led us down the path to how this all started. People get tumors on their Pitutary, but Cancerous Tumors there are the rarest form of cancer in the USA, only 300 cases per year. So we felt it was odd that both him and I got the same thing. He has gone to Mass General, and I have been to Dartmouth as they are only 2 of 30 places in the US specializing in the Pituatary. Both said the exact same thing; nothing they can do unless it gets really bad (pressure building in the brain).

From that we found out that it is most likely caued by Agent Orange from my father's days in Vietnam. He did two tours on river boats and was doused diectly several times. What I did not know is, that chemical kills via attacking the plants genes, and so Agent Orange gets passed down to children, and grandchildren by a man's "seed" for up to five generations from the orginal exposure. My Doctor was a Veteran Doctor for years, and confirmed that is most likely how it started.

As for publishing my book, I have looked at various ways. yesterday was a 1/2 self publishing arrangment. It was okay, and would get better distrubution, but it was the same price basically as a self-pulished fully book at $3500/$3100 respectively.

So the way it works is, I could spend $3500 and they would edit, add art, and then promote the book and get a royalty of fifty cents per copy...if they agree to publish it. They have a 50/50 accptence/refusal rate.

Or...

I could spend $3100 and just print 200 copies of the book, and do everything myself, but after 200 are sold, I would have to spend that same money again to print more. BUT there is no one agreeing or not agreeing to the book.

Myself, I am leaning towards the latter. It seems silly, but I am not sure I would sell many more than that anyway, and for me, I would just like the book to be a chance to travel to churches and talk about what Katie and I have gone through, some neat discoveries we have found too, but just help a hurting world cope by placing trust in the right place (Jesus).

We have been through a lot, and it would be a shame not to pass on those lessons we have learned.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Oct. 05, 2019 6:17 am

No Smoke

Great to see you back here although I am sorry that your health is the way it is. You will be remembered in prayer by me.

There is only one part of this topic I wish to weigh in on and that is your book deal. Please... make sure you consider all publishing options ! About 5 years ago I published a book on the history of a farm equipment company. They were a short-line company that existed from 1947-1977 with a few years after that in production by another manufacturer.

I knew that not being a mainstream company would make it virtually impossible for a well known publisher to pick it up. Depression set in as I searched all over the internet and so many publishing services seemed like a money racket that did nothing but limit your contributions. I wrote this book over a 10 year timespan and I had tons of good photos that were needed in the story. I made up my mind that no one was going to tell me what I could and couldn’t do with my book.

During my travels I met an elderly gent from the Ozarks who was as big into local history as I was. Although he only had a 4th grade education, when I dropped in for a visit at his home I was very exited to learn he was not only doing his own writing, but printing and binding as well. The results were jaw-dropping as it was a very professional product. I left there very impressed and encouraged by what I had seen.

I fabricated the layout of the book and it’s design entirely in Microsoft Word. Then I had a local mom and pop printing service in a neighboring town do nothing more than the printing and binding for me. I purchased my own ISBN number to include on the rear cover, wrote my own copyright disclaimer and the result was something that looked to be produced by a professional publisher.

Here is a link to my Amazon page so you can get a general idea:
Performance/Endurance: The Men and Machines of Field Queen Incorporated https://www.amazon.com/dp/1495145166/ref=cm_sw_r_ ... MDbW9DWXG5

Also, if you wish to provide your mailing address I will send you a copy free of charge so you can decide for yourself. If there is an only downside, it is that you are now responsible for all promotions and sales of your book however every dollar you make is yours to keep. I’ve sold a little over 400 copies all over the globe and although I haven’t found the pot of gold yet, the project has paid off its initial investment and I have made plenty back to keep the project going.

Sorry so long, any questions... fire away. I wish you the best of luck and many blessings from the Lord.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Feb. 01, 2020 6:38 am

Just an update...

Somewhat by choice, and somewhat by timing, and really just a stab in the dark...I am now enrolled in college courses to obtain my high pressure steam boiler license.

I was not sure what it would be like at first, but this really is going to fit me well I think. I have crawled inside WAYYYYYYY too many boilers to weld them, but I think operating them is going to work well for me. The job demand is really high, the people trying to gravitate to that job is low.

Unlike everyone else in the class, I am not employed; which makes it a bit harder for me because I cannot go into a boiler the next day and see what we discussed, and being a boiler welder at one point in my welding career, every boiler I have been in is pretty huge, so sometimes I have an issue scaling it down.

That might change though: I got a few local sawmills who are interested in hiring me just because the demand for high pressure steam boiler operators is in such demand, that they may be willing to start me out even before I get my certificate.

But overall, I think this is really, really perfect for me, considering where I am, and how my future has changed from cancer.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”