LL AA-220 Relocation

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Thu. Mar. 14, 2019 9:56 am

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Mar. 13, 2019 11:47 am
May be a good place and time to bring up that one can install either/both a CO and/or smoke alarm that can trigger a relay to any remote location.
Relay, in turn, can then initiate any number of devices...be it flashing lights for hearing impaired or a distant siren alarm in adjacent building or upper levels still yet unaffected by distant peril locations for early warning.

As well, a relay could switch off a burner and/or start a fan/blower motor for
some form of ventilation.
Don't forget the disabled and those pets whom are counting on you.

Food for thought....
How alarmed should I have been? Honestly I was not very alarmed because my CO detectors were not going off upstairs where we live, just the basement. But am I wrong, not saying it wasn't a serious event but the saturation was just in the basement, but then again I have dummy CO detectors upstairs that do not show a digital PPM......should I change these, I could have possibly had some saturation just not enough to set off the alarm?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Mar. 14, 2019 1:00 pm

I would go with display models...
The dummies don't alarm until a significant number is reached...
40-70 for x minutes before alarm...
Alarm instant at 110 I think...

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Mar. 18, 2019 9:20 am

Running rice and I have to say I like it. It is much easier to move by vacuum and it does not have near the dust of fines as the buck I had from this year. The rice I am burning is left over from a year ago. I did have to adjust the feed and air to get it right but seems to produce a much bluer flame than the buck did. I am still able to get a nice sized flame however. Season end is insight, but I think I will still burn everything that is in the storage bin as I am heating hot water also.

swyman

Post by swyman » Sun. Apr. 07, 2019 9:41 am

As the season winds down, I now get to see just how much that heat from the basement is coming into play. Last Tuesday we went to a baseball tournament in Cincinnati for 3 days. I turned the barn and garage heat off and filled the hopper, vac barrel, and turned the house down to 62 degrees hoping that the fire would still be burning when I got home. Was pleased to find the thermostat at 66 degrees and the 30 gallon barrel was just about empty so I still had 320lbs of coal in the hopper! Yesterday the house was at 76 degrees so I am getting a lot of heat in the house through that floor! Another update, my builder that did the addition said he could do the chimney! Haven't talked start date but looks like it will happen. Not sure I will be able to purchase another boiler before next heating season but if I can get that chimney done, it will give me the option to do it and might be fun to see how my Leisure Line works with a chimney? I am almost out of coal in the bin so really only heating DHW so will burn up what I have....

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Apr. 07, 2019 10:41 am

No guarantees, but you might find that after you switch to a chimney you will begin to like the LL AA-220.

swyman

Post by swyman » Sun. Apr. 07, 2019 11:36 am

lsayre wrote:
Sun. Apr. 07, 2019 10:41 am
No guarantees, but you might find that after you switch to a chimney you will begin to like the LL AA-220.
I like it now, just runs out of power when I need it most. Not the boilers fault, just to big of load.....that's on me

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 12:44 am

Put 7 ton of rice in the basement 2 weeks ago and finally lit the fire last Tuesday. Everything is running very well but I have a new problem this year. I had just walked out of the bedroom and I hear the CO detector go off? This is my 3rd season with this same setup and never had an issue. I switched that detector with one from the basement that shows the PPM. It fluctuates but never goes over 40ppm and for last 2 days it read 0. The think that confuses me is the boiler is in idle mode most of the time due to mild temps. Maybe I had this issue all along but never enough to trip the alarm, I think it takes 80ppm for the alarm to sound? I am a little concerned but not sure best course of action. The power vent is right outside the bedroom but I shouldn't be getting any reading inside the house???? Any ideas?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 1:35 am

swyman wrote:
Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 12:44 am
Any ideas?
The system is designed to run, in your case, off of a PV so everything is at at a negative pressure value.

If all is negative pressure value then no leaks can happen indoors.

But once the PV spews those fumes outdoors thru it's hole in the wall all bets are off as to where they might travel next....

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 11:54 am

Anybody keeping a window open somewhere?

swyman

Post by swyman » Tue. Oct. 29, 2019 1:25 am

Olllotj wrote:
Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 11:54 am
Anybody keeping a window open somewhere?
I work midnights and have cardboard over the windows and when I checked the window was cracked but I still have the issue. Was watching it tonight as I left for work and it went from 30 to 0 so I guess I just need to keep an eye on it. Gonna buy a new one just to double check.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Nov. 13, 2019 11:50 pm

What was the optimum differential between high and low on the aquastat....was it 20 degrees? Boiler has been running very well during this very cold November blast. All thermostats are satisfied and getting good heat out of it. Boiler was getting dragged down to the low 160's so I am experimenting with the boiler temp settings to see if I can keep it in the 170's. I set the high at 205 degrees and the low at 185. Just want to make sure this is an acceptable level? I can't thank you guys enough for having me put this thing in the basement, so much heat down there, I/wife love it! Problem is I have this awesome AA 260 sitting in my shop that I am not even in a hurry getting it fired up because I cannot yet put it in the basement because of a lack of chimney. I do however want to get it installed in the barn as a temporary measure just to run it and see what's the fuss is all about. Goal is Jan/Feb. I may just have to pull out the tampon and build my own chimney next summer and be done with it.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 1:47 am

Make sure you use round tile that interlocks...
Along with vermiculite insulation...
Do it right...
The first time...

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 4:59 am

Yes, 20 degrees is the recommended minimum span between the high and low limits. Having it at 20 or more makes sure there are no circulator lockouts...

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 5:52 am

Whatever makes it work. 10,20,30... the eshland and AHS models come from the factory with a aqua star that is set to a 10 degree differential, with no changing it.

Get the 260 out in the barn and watch the magic, it may never make its way into the basement...

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 6:01 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 5:52 am
Whatever makes it work. 10,20,30... the eshland and AHS models come from the factory with a aqua star that is set to a 10 degree differential, with no changing it.

Get the 260 out in the barn and watch the magic, it may never make its way into the basement...
Not differential... He's asking about the high and low limit. Most manufacturers recommend a 20 deg spread between the HL and LL.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”