Coal vac build 101

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 7:19 am

swyman wrote:
Wed. Jan. 02, 2019 8:34 pm
Good to know, the description says it's supposed to operate quieter also but this has over 30 more inches of lift than the other model I was looking at and with the weight of water is a lot more sucking power. Hope it goes as planned!
Any updates on the two stage vac?

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 7:40 am

nepacoal wrote:
Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 7:19 am
Any updates on the two stage vac?
Here's the crappy story......Shop Vac makes all these different vacuums but they make certain vacs for certain company's, in my case this vac they recommend can only be bought at Napa or Shop Vac store on their website. Online Shop Vac store was $440, Napa online was $380.....Hello Amazon $315 so I ordered it....3 days go by and get a cancelation notice that they made a mistake and don't have that part number vac in stock......so I ordered the next Amazon from different vendor for $320......3 days later same story so "F" it, ordered from Napa to be delivered to my local store and I am still waiting....... As you guys know I am not very patient so it is a real struggle but out of my hands. From now on with Amazon, if it is not Amazon Prime I am not messing with it which these 2 vac orders were not. Sometimes you just can't get a bargain. I changed filter on my current vac which works better but still takes 20-25 minutes to fill barrell so I just use the 5 gallon bucket by hand till new vac gets here. Sure hope it works?

swyman

Post by swyman » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 7:35 am

Picked up the new vac yesterday and got everything hooked up. It's quiet but still takes 20 minutes to fill drum so not real happy about that for the investment. I am going to make some changes, first will probably be to add my other vac for more power and I also notice the coal reminds me of like a air popper popcorn cooker. From my 1 1/2" wand transitions to a 2 1/2" x 4' piece of standard shop vac hose to a 2" sweeping 90 then horizontal. The coal in that 4' piece of hose just kind of flips around and gets really full before it makes the 90. This new vac came with 1 1/2" hose so I want to ditch the 2" 90 in place for a 45 and attach the 1 1/2" hose to use as my pickup wand and see how that goes? I am using a filter bag as my I was still getting super fine dust on the filter of the vac after the dust deputy. Just wondering if I should just ditch the dust deputy and use bags in both vacs? Open for more suggestions!

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 8:10 am

If you ditch the dust deputy, you'll probably need to start buying bags in bulk. You might need to change bags every thousand pounds or so. Even with the dust deputy I have to change the bag every two tons or so. Past that, performance really drops off once the bag starts getting clogged.

swyman

Post by swyman » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 9:40 am

nepacoal wrote:
Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 8:10 am
If you ditch the dust deputy, you'll probably need to start buying bags in bulk. You might need to change bags every thousand pounds or so. Even with the dust deputy I have to change the bag every two tons or so. Past that, performance really drops off once the bag starts getting clogged.
Gotcha, I think I will head to HD and get that larger cyclone (2 1/2") for my other vac when I hook it up. I will bag the other vac also if I can find them....it's a craftsman

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 11:47 am

I am a little late to the conversation so I apologize. I often wondered about landing a deal on EBay for a used industrial vac like you would find at a commercial car wash. Pardon my language but those things SSSUUUUUUUUUCCKKK! I have seen them on there for a couple hundred dollars and depending on the lifespan that might not be too obscene. I think they have three different motors hooked into the vac head so they should really create some wind.

I lost interest when I took my vac setup down upon moving to this house. When I set it up again I will be conveying a short distance so a normal shop vac will do the trick for me.

swyman

Post by swyman » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 10:31 am

Starting to like this new vac, I still have not added my other but this one is weird..... it's like it sucks slow but constant if that makes any sense? It just pulls steady and nonstop. My other vac would jgo like crazy and stop and repeat. I could not find a balance with the old vac. I added the 1 1/2" hose for my pick up and really works a lot better. I am not getting the dust out of the barrel when I open the dumps either. This vac is so quiet all I hear is the coal traveling through the tube.......oh and the valves I installed leak...i can hear it but not sure how to seal it up. I put a plastic bag over it but didn't leak bad enough to seal itself. Maybe it's leaking around the flange instead of the gate? I checked my 5 gallon bucket under the dust deputy and it is half full of black baby powder! Still running the bag and there is absolutely no fine coal dust on the pleated filter inside the vac.

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 10:59 am

Great to hear the new vac is working as expected. I may be designing a vac system for my FIL so it's good to know these 2-stage vacs work as advertised... His run would be about 25 feet from bin to barrel.

swyman

Post by swyman » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 12:14 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 10:59 am
Great to hear the new vac is working as expected. I may be designing a vac system for my FIL so it's good to know these 2-stage vacs work as advertised... His run would be about 25 feet from bin to barrel.
I am only transferring 7' vertical and 5' horizontal and it still takes me close to 20 minutes to fill that 30 gallon drum. It's just slow and steady....and quiet! Need more speed, I want to find some smooth inside flexible hose to try on my vertical and replace the 90* with a 45* at the top of the vertical to horizontal transition and see what happens? Corn sure did move easier from what I remember but I also added a 2nd vac so until I do that I guess I can't compare.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 1:25 pm

PVC pond hose, as seen at Amazon and the like, is very smooth, heavy wall and yet nice and flexible...makes for great long sweep 90 degree bends, rolling offsets and the like. Check it out.

swyman

Post by swyman » Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 3:04 pm

McGiever wrote:
Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 1:25 pm
PVC pond hose, as seen at Amazon and the like, is very smooth, heavy wall and yet nice and flexible...makes for great long sweep 90 degree bends, rolling offsets and the like. Check it out.
Thank you, I just got in touch with my neighbor who is in the pool business. He is going to drop off 10' of it for me. Thanks for the heads up!

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 8:08 am

Received the flex pvc last night. Had to let the glue set before I try and install it. I eliminated the 90* vert to hor and just installing this flex in it's place. Will try tonight.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 10:31 am

Sweet!
That could help to lower your 20 min. load times...

swyman

Post by swyman » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 11:14 am

Results are in and hard to believe but didn't make a lick a difference? Took 21 minutes. Have to get that 2nd vac hooked up. I took off this coming weekend so that will free up the time to go to Home Depot so I can get try their bucket cyclone.

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 12:01 pm

You might need to fix the leaks around your shutoff valves at the bottom of the barrel.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”