Glenwood No.118

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 8:18 pm

I tried to get some more information from the seller, but was met with a two sentence reply saying it's a good deal and missing nothing.... I have a feeling this will go nowhere, despite possibly being the perfect stove. Craigslist is hell.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Don’t know if it’s THE stove but looks to be the same model. Can’t tell the size but appears to be a good size. Get more info from the owner including pics of the back of the stove and the inside.

Andes is a well made stove.

Craig’s can be a pain but lots of times you can get a deal if you bring cash and can remove the item immediately. IF that stove is as nice inside as the pic shows outside it’s a steal. Especially if it’s a double heater.

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 8:55 pm

I've gleaned some additional detail about the stove. It seems to have been posted here before when the current owner took possession of the stove. In an email reply, the seller stated the glass needs to be placed in the door, and then it will be 100% complete. I have no clue how to install a window into a wood stove. I'm a car guy, this is all new to me!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 10:03 pm

It would not originally be "glass" in a stove of that age, it's individual thin pieces of mica.

They usually easy to install by just undoing the screws that hold an inner frame inside the door. A screw driver, a wrench, and about ten minutes to put them back in, if they are not damaged.

And stove mica is still available new from a few sources. Just cut it to fit with a pair of scissors.

Paul

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Have you checked your Pm's? I sent you one...

Kevin

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 11:06 pm

KLook wrote:
Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 10:16 pm
Have you checked your Pm's? I sent you one...

Kevin
I checked my messages and it says I have none.

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 11:10 pm

If I do end up picking up that stove, how do I go about moving it? I have one metal ramp that I used to transport my motorcycle that I no longer own, several tie down straps, and a Ram 3500. I could pick up a dolly if that would help.

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Another thought that just came to me, I can also drop the stove off at Bryant's to get it checked over and be positive it's ready to run in my house. My current stove hasn't died yet, so I still have time. We're hoping it can live until summer. Even still, if this stove checks out I would like to pick it up if I can.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 2:00 am

I found the easiest way to load a stove if you don't have any help is:

1. Rent or borrow an appliance hand cart, come-along, and use TWO ramps.

2. Stack a few pieces of 2x6's and plywood shims on the bottom plate of the appliance cart so you are lifting on the base pan.

3. Put some folded blankets or cushions between the appliance cart and the stove and ratchet strap the stove to the cart.

4. Take a ratchet strap across the front two floor hooks on your truck bed and hook the come-along to the center of the strap and the cart.
Screenshot_2018-12-06-01-34-53.png
.PNG | 2.5MB | Screenshot_2018-12-06-01-34-53.png
This method has worked well for me on dozens of stoves. It does make it a lot easier if you have another person to help, but most of the time it's just me. :D

That is a really nice stove at a great price .......... If it was me I wouldn't wait too long to commit on it.

Paulie
Screenshot_2018-12-06-01-35-31.png
.PNG | 2.8MB | Screenshot_2018-12-06-01-35-31.png

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 4:22 am

Pauliewog wrote:
Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 2:00 am
I found the easiest way to load a stove if you don't have any help is:

1. Rent or borrow an appliance hand cart, come-along, and use TWO ramps.

2. Stack a few pieces of 2x6's and plywood shims on the bottom plate of the appliance cart so you are lifting on the base pan.

3. Put some folded blankets or cushions between the appliance cart and the stove and ratchet strap the stove to the cart.

4. Take a ratchet strap across the front two floor hooks on your truck bed and hook the come-along to the center of the strap and the cart.Screenshot_2018-12-06-01-34-53.png

This method has worked well for me on dozens of stoves. It does make it a lot easier if you have another person to help, but most of the time it's just me. :D

That is a really nice stove at a great price .......... If it was me I wouldn't wait too long to commit on it.

PaulieScreenshot_2018-12-06-01-35-31.png
Thank you for the tips and tricks! Thankfully I have a ton of 2x6 cut offs, and I've been meaning to get a hand truck and a come along anyway. I want the stove, but I have to make sure the seller isn't full of crap. Currently I am looking for a stove that doesn't need work, and my wife doesn't trust Craigslist. I'm willing to at least see the condition of the stove, but the seller doesn't seem to know anything about it. This post seems to be about the same stove as far as I can tell: Help With Information on This Geneva Andes Stove?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 8:59 am

We have people here who can help you "look" at the stove if you can get the seller to send clear pictures of all four sides, the top with the bonnet swung off to the side, and several pix of inside the firepot, grates, and in through the ash pan door.

If they won't send pix like that, there may be something wrong and I wouldn't deal with them.

Paul

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 10:07 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 8:59 am
We have people here who can help you "look" at the stove if you can get the seller to send clear pictures of all four sides, the top with the bonnet swung off to the side, and several pix of inside the firepot, grates, and in through the ash pan door.

If they won't send pix like that, there may be something wrong and I wouldn't deal with them.

Paul

I agree with you, I don't like sellers that don't want to take the time for photos, whatever the reason may be. More than likely this stove will not be the stove for me. I also don't like the difficulty of finding parts for such a rare beast, no matter how nice it is. At least the Modern GW Oak stoves are more common and parts are being made thanks to this forum. It's also ten hours from where I am now. If I were an expert rebuilder, it would be a different story.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 10:27 am

SpaceBus wrote:
Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 4:22 am
Currently I am looking for a stove that doesn't need work, and my wife doesn't trust Craigslist. I'm willing to at least see the condition of the stove, but the seller doesn't seem to know anything about it. This post seems to be about the same stove as far as I can tell: Help With Information on This Geneva Andes Stove?
Yes, that is definitely the same stove. Hopefully I will have a picture of the inside later today and will post them.

Again, In my opinion this stove is a great quality stove at a bargain price.

The nickel plating alone would exceed twice the cost of this stove.

If you decide not to purchase it please send me a PM.

Paulie

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 5:01 pm

So its a double heater Paulie?

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 5:58 pm

You are correct Spacebus. My message has disappeared into the mist. At any rate, I am from your location. I still own a house in East Machias. I burned coal after growing up on wood. With the cold up there, you will never ever look back if you try coal and give it a little time for the learning curve. I love a woodfire, in my firepit here, and at my old house in Maine, at my hunting camp in Whiting, etc.....I had a gas fireplace and a coal boiler.....for a reason. This is a great forum, there are no problems that can't be solved about burning coal.

Kevin

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”