Alaska Channing Lll Combustion Motor Replacement

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Mon. Sep. 29, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi all channing owners,
I was going to buy a replacement combution motor for my channing 3 for a back up this winter
Iv searched and found post were people have replace the shaded pole motor with a dayton psc motor from electric motor warehouse. I have trouble finding the part # for the dayton motor on the web site. Anyone thats made the swap could you send me the part # that you used for the swap.
Any info would be awsome.

Thanks
Brenden

janitor_ed
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-81

Post by janitor_ed » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi I'm resurrecting this thread. I need a combustion blower for my Channing 2. If there is a replacement out there does anyone have a part number? I'm not opposed to giving Alaska my business but if there is a ball bearing motor vs. a sleeve motor clearly i would like to go with the ball bearing motor.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 9:28 pm

Dayton and Fasco...you;ll have to do some detective work.

Match the voltage, RPM or more importantly the CFM, then the bolt-up pattern and physical size for fitment space.

And don't be skerd about speed control...it works a treat if you need that too. ;)

HTH

janitor_ed

Post by janitor_ed » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 8:59 am

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 9:28 pm
Match the voltage, RPM or more importantly the CFM, then the bolt-up pattern and physical size for fitment space.
Hi McGiever,
I have been looking at the Dayton C Frame motors. The only thing I'm not sure of is the RPM of the original Bay Motor Products 5A142-116. A lot of the Daytons seem to be 3000 RPM. I don't have a clue what the RPM of the Bay Motor Products motor might have been. I do know that it is 120V 60Hz 0.5A and that the stator measures about 0.896 inches thick.

Regards,
Ed

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 10:16 am

janitor_ed wrote:
Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 8:59 am
Hi McGiever,
I have been looking at the Dayton C Frame motors. The only thing I'm not sure of is the RPM of the original Bay Motor Products 5A142-116. A lot of the Daytons seem to be 3000 RPM. I don't have a clue what the RPM of the Bay Motor Products motor might have been. I do know that it is 120V 60Hz 0.5A and that the stator measures about 0.896 inches thick.

Regards,
Ed
Opps, I beileve all C-frames are 'shaded pole'. And all SP are 3000 rpm, btw.
And changing from 'shaded pole' to PSC w/ bearing will reduce the current by about 1/2...so don't look to match the current...CFM plus volts are what to watch for.don't get hung up on RPM.

How much room for added thickness do you have? I have a motor in mind that may fit depending on space.

janitor_ed

Post by janitor_ed » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 10:54 am

I bet you are correct about the C frame motors only being shaded pole. It makes sense.

As far as the room I have to play with, the spacing of the bolts on the C Frame is about 1.85 inches. I’ll have to take some measurements but here are a couple of photos showing how the motor sits.

Attachments

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 2:41 pm

janitor_ed,
Also need a motor shaft size if has to match the existing squirrel-cage fan's bore hole.

I did the swap before with a Dayton-1TDN7, but my hole was on the bottom...not the top like yours.

But I did some searching and for a "C" frame "motor only" does pose some troubles with conversion to a PSC "motor only"...this will take some strong will to carry out such a venture.
Changing out a shaded-pole motor for a PSC motor is more difficult than switching out the same by doing a whole blower/fan assembly swap instead.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”