R&S Acorn Oak 209

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Oct. 10, 2018 3:38 pm

:D

Just picked one of these Rathbone & Sard Acorn Oak’s with the “Venti-Duct” option. It’s a monster, the grate is 14 inches in diameter. The pot is 19.5 x 14. It’s looks to be complete less the correct shaker handle, finial, emblem just under the load door and upper trim ring, as pictured. The trim ring should be no problem to locate but the emblem below the door will prove difficult I bet.

No observed cracks as yet but I have to disassemble it 😜

This one is going to get a full on rebuild which will be documented here and then put up for sale. Forum members have first dibs😀

It will resemble the “Favorite Oak 18” pictured here....

http://www.gingercreekstoves.com/home.html

Here is a link to the catalog back in the day, page # 120.

https://books.google.com/books?id=SM9BAAAAYAAJ&pg ... &q&f=false

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 1.4MB | image.jpg
8840506E-8D79-40DE-B63B-B997E64D72C5.jpeg
.JPEG | 799KB | 8840506E-8D79-40DE-B63B-B997E64D72C5.jpeg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Congrats. That's a rare find, Scott. And a 20 inch firepot is sure plenty big !!!!

Check eBay - all types of shaker handles turn up there and many of the sellers don't know what stoves they are for.

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Oct. 10, 2018 6:34 pm

congrats, that's a really interesting design, the rebuild will be neat to see too.

not to quibble but since air will be admitted to the fire bed all the way out to and just beyond the teeth on the outside of the grate ring it seems to me you have atleast a 17" if not 18" total diameter grate which given the rather upright side walls of the pot would be in keeping with a 20" upper diameter of the pot, is the top of the pot 20" as the number code seems to suggest ?

any way around it that should be a very powerful heater with all but the intake of the double heater pipe exposed all the way around inside the barrel in the highest gas heat area.

steve

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Wed. Oct. 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Oct. 10, 2018 6:03 pm
Congrats. That's a rare find, Scott. And a 20 inch firepot is sure plenty big !!!!

Check eBay - all types of shaker handles turn up there and many of the sellers don't know what stoves they are for.

Paul
Good idea, I’ll do that Paul.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Wed. Oct. 10, 2018 7:30 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Wed. Oct. 10, 2018 6:34 pm
congrats, that's a really interesting design, the rebuild will be neat to see too.

not to quibble but since air will be admitted to the fire bed all the way out to and just beyond the teeth on the outside of the grate ring it seems to me you have atleast a 17" if not 18" total diameter grate which given the rather upright side walls of the pot would be in keeping with a 20" upper diameter of the pot, is the top of the pot 20" as the number code seems to suggest ?

any way around it that should be a very powerful heater with all but the intake of the double heater pipe exposed all the way around inside the barrel in the highest gas heat area.

steve
Yea could be Steve I did not measure the diameter of the bottom of the pot just the grate @14 inches. The top of the pot measures 19.5 inches so I guess that’s where the “205” comes from? Maybe they just round up?😀

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Is that 19.5 inch the ID ? If it is, than rounding up for the model number is not uncommon. Often the OD of the firepot was the model size.

My #6 is a 15.5 ID firepot, but with a 16 inch OD at the top flange of the barrel seat.

Likewise, my two 118 Modern Oaks are 17.5 ID, 18 inch OD.

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Oct. 10, 2018 8:23 pm

yes i'm sure some did round up, in fact there is evidence that many gave the outer diameter of the top of the firepot casting as that measurement even though the inner diameter was less AND the refractory brought it down even more.

there was just as much "marketing" back then as now. every one had the "most, best, only" as back to back readings of differing makers catalogs from the same years will show.

the truth is, any maker who's claims were actually proven out sold LOTS of stoves and stayed in the market a good long while. others, not so much.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 1:07 pm

So here is a shot of the “ventiduct”. I believe the barrel is original as it is riveted on?

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 1006KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 976.8KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 771KB | image.jpg

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Another view of the mid section of the duct. I’m finding it waaaayy easier to just drill out the fasteners than to try and unscrew them😜

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 1001.6KB | image.jpg

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Fire pot & base...

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 1.3MB | image.jpg

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Yeah that's a biggy. Looks like it might hold about 75 - 80 lbs of nut coal.

With those vertical ribs, it looks like it was never intended to be lined - are you going to anyway ?

Paul

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 3:15 pm

With that 2 piece ventiduct you will need to be very sure of a perfect seal or its quick trip to a dirt nap 😱

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 3:31 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 3:15 pm
With that 2 piece ventiduct you will need to be very sure of a perfect seal or its quick trip to a dirt nap 😱
So this ventiduct, is it corridor for room convection air to come up thru the middle of the fire bed??

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 2:51 pm
Yeah that's a biggy. Looks like it might hold about 75 - 80 lbs of nut coal.

With those vertical ribs, it looks like it was never intended to be lined - are you going to anyway ?

Paul
Definitely going to install refractory!

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 3:31 pm
So this ventiduct, is it corridor for room convection air to come up thru the middle of the fire bed??
Lightning,
Not through the firebed but behind and above it.

KC,
Yeah it’ll get stove cement but I bet since the inside the stove is lower pressure than the room gasses will not go into the ventiduct. If there was a “leak” it would just act as a draft check, no different than a manual check on a stovepipe or secondary air inlet.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”