Help picking out a stove

Riddlerlloyd
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil fired steam convectors

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 8:26 am

Not sure about the other models but I ran a chubby this winter. In the coldest months I tended the stove at around 6:30AM before leaving for work and around 5:30/6 when I returned. If i knew I was going to be longer I gave it less air but the house was a little colder when I returned but I could easily go to 12-14 hours and still recover the stove just fine. I would then run it pretty 'hot' through the evening until bed (10-11) then tend it again for the overnight. I typically removed ashes before work and right before bed w/ a shake down and coal additional when I got home from work. This spring April/May I could get by with extending the tending times. The last month or so I was down to once a day tending or so but it was mostly to keep the chill off overnight and it was closed up tight during the day. Good luck with your choice, I'm going with a larger stove this year but I'm trying to hear more than 500 square feet in an old stone house.

Jgib4
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Fire chief 450

Post by Jgib4 » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 9:42 am

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 2:22 am
M, are you missing the approx. 500sq. needing to be heated? Nothin to do with bragging rights. Seems the man is looking for economy & efficiency.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Seems the chubby reconditioned stoves offer the best bang for your buck unless I’m missing something. Found a post where someone went 30 hours without tending it and still recovered the fire. Not trying to do that consistently but nice to know it’s possible.

Jgib4

Post by Jgib4 » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 9:45 am

Riddlerlloyd wrote:
Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 8:26 am
Not sure about the other models but I ran a chubby this winter. In the coldest months I tended the stove at around 6:30AM before leaving for work and around 5:30/6 when I returned. If i knew I was going to be longer I gave it less air but the house was a little colder when I returned but I could easily go to 12-14 hours and still recover the stove just fine. I would then run it pretty 'hot' through the evening until bed (10-11) then tend it again for the overnight. I typically removed ashes before work and right before bed w/ a shake down and coal additional when I got home from work. This spring April/May I could get by with extending the tending times. The last month or so I was down to once a day tending or so but it was mostly to keep the chill off overnight and it was closed up tight during the day. Good luck with your choice, I'm going with a larger stove this year but I'm trying to hear more than 500 square feet in an old stone house.
That’s good to hear. Do you have the Jr or full size? Also do you plan on selling your chubby?
Also what size were you using nut?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 2:07 pm

If you try going 24 hrs a lot with the Chubby you will be relighting on occassion, unless you get that sucker barely sipping air. I have a JR, but I do consider it very easy to light(as I have with 3 other stoves Ive used). Some people have more trouble than me with lighting stoves it seems. Its all about having the right things on hand to do it with and knowledge from hands on training.

I dont think I'd spend extra for the blower model with that small of a space, but its your money.

Most use nut with Chubbies. Some use pea in milder weather or for longer burns. You'd just have to try them both cuz no 2 situations are the same.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Blowers are annoyingly noisy. Don't get one for only heating 500 sq-ft.

Jgib4

Post by Jgib4 » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 3:11 pm

I spoke with him on the phone today. He is extremely helpful. Seems like for the burn times I would be needing the full size would fit the bill. And no I would not get the one with the blower. I’ll probably throw my name on the wait list for a reconditioned stove and call it a day.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 3:17 pm

A quite ceiling fan capable of running in both forward and reverse would be a nice touch.

Jgib4

Post by Jgib4 » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 3:56 pm

lsayre wrote:
Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 3:17 pm
A quite ceiling fan capable of running in both forward and reverse would be a nice touch.
That’s a definite. We have them in almost every room.

Riddlerlloyd
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil fired steam convectors

Post by Riddlerlloyd » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Jgib4 wrote:
Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 9:45 am
That’s good to hear. Do you have the Jr or full size? Also do you plan on selling your chubby?
Also what size were you using nut?
Full sized chubby and I used nut. Although, just to see what happened, I had the yard throw a couple hundred lbs of pea on it for late April/early may and added a layer of pea on top of the nut. That helped with the long burns. Spring was late here this year. I only used nut in the winter.

Jgib4

Post by Jgib4 » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Riddlerlloyd wrote:
Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 5:36 pm
Full sized chubby and I used nut. Although, just to see what happened, I had the yard throw a couple hundred lbs of pea on it for late April/early may and added a layer of pea on top of the nut. That helped with the long burns. Spring was late here this year. I only used nut in the winter.
Spring was late everywhere lol and it just left about two weeks ago. I can’t remember ever getting this much rain for this long into the summer before.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Jul. 10, 2018 10:35 pm

Hitzer hand fed with hopper no fan...
http://hitzer.com/our-products/stoves-furnaces/model-50-93
http://hitzer.com/our-products/stoves-furnaces/model-30-95

DS Machine hand fed with hopper no fan...
https://dsofpa.com/ds-products/
scroll down to the 'DS Circulator' model...

both hold more coal than the chubby...
the hopper will help with the longer runs and better recovery...
both can be idled down low...

Not knockin' the chubby just like these better and have used them...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jul. 11, 2018 2:54 am

I agree 100% C. Well written. For the 500 sq. with over-flow--I recommend the 50-93. As stated, it can be idled WAY down but has the balls when needed.

Jgib4

Post by Jgib4 » Wed. Jul. 11, 2018 4:56 pm

All three of those I’d have to be on the lookout for a used one. Between that and the chimney cost I would be in stoker money territory

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Jul. 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Jgib4 wrote:
Wed. Jul. 11, 2018 4:56 pm
All three of those I’d have to be on the lookout for a used one. Between that and the chimney cost I would be in stoker money territory
that's a possibility BUT you would be free of any utility dependency.

often something to consider if you live where outages are common and lengthy.

steve

Jgib4

Post by Jgib4 » Wed. Jul. 11, 2018 8:21 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Wed. Jul. 11, 2018 6:49 pm
that's a possibility BUT you would be free of any utility dependency.

often something to consider if you live where outages are common and lengthy.

steve
That’s also what had me
Looking at the chubby. Power doesn’t often go out here but if
It does it’s normally in the winter. I also like to keep my electric bills down.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”