Stockton (Hazelton) Vs Lehigh

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jun. 01, 2018 10:53 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Fri. Jun. 01, 2018 10:17 am
Burning lehigh pea, it has been above 80 the last 3 days and very humid, no problem at all.
But you circulate 24/7 and thereby steadily dissipate heat and cause your boiler to fire periodically, no?

My boiler doesn't circulate water at all, and that's why I can burn as little as 13.5 lbs. per day. Therefore it also doesn't fire very often, and it is subject to losing its fire while idling along for extended periods, and particularly more-so with some coals. It does seem probable that low volatility is a major player in my out-fires. Harmony and Blaschak, nigh on zero out-fires. Stockton, loads of out-fires. Lehigh, ????

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Fri. Jun. 01, 2018 11:09 am

lsayre wrote:
Fri. Jun. 01, 2018 10:53 am
But you circulate 24/7 and thereby steadily dissipate heat and cause your boiler to fire periodically, no?

My boiler doesn't circulate water at all, and that's why I can burn as little as 13.5 lbs. per day. Therefore it also doesn't fire very often, and it is subject to losing its fire while idling along for extended periods, and particularly more-so with some coals. It does seem probable that low volatility is a major player in my out-fires. Harmony and Blaschak, nigh on zero out-fires. Stockton, loads of out-fires. Lehigh, ????
Like I said I know Amish people who burn our Pea all summer long in a hand fire. But yes it is certainly the volitiles that give people headaches. As far as comparing our coal to Stockton mine, they mine from different places much every other Anthracite producer. We have the single largest mining permit in Pa so our coal is very consistant. Another thing we do that many others dont is test daily. You can have good reserves but if you arent testing and adjusting your process accordingly you wont know where your ash falls.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jun. 01, 2018 11:14 am

This summer I will burn my remaining Blaschak before transitioning to Lehigh as the Blaschak runs out, but next summer I will be burning straight Lehigh. If it causes no problems I will certainly make this known. And to be fair, ditto if it does.

And if it runs fine in the summer, I'll be a long term convert to Lehigh.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Jun. 01, 2018 1:23 pm

On days for just hot water usage my boiler fires for about 25-30 minutes in 24 hours.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Jun. 06, 2018 2:12 pm

We just received our delivery of Lehigh pea. Very nice looking coal. Between bin, pails, and boiler we are sitting on 6 tons plus a smidge right now. We probably burn through about 5.4 tons per (statistical average HDD's) full year. But of late, annual HDD's generally fall a bit shy of the long term statistical norm for this region.

I was assured that our delivery was Mammoth vein sourced Lehigh coal, but I would have no real way of verifying that. About all I could do is weigh a few completely full 5 gallon plastic pails (about 5.6 actual gallons per pail by my reckoning) and see what it weighs vs. Blaschak. I'm not sure what that would tell me though.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Wed. Jun. 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Larry, who is your supplier?

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Jun. 06, 2018 7:16 pm

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Wed. Jun. 06, 2018 5:19 pm
Larry, who is your supplier?
Bosler Brothers. Middlefield, OH

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Wed. Jun. 06, 2018 7:52 pm

Then it is certainly mammoth vein, as we only run primrose a small portion of the year, and he will wait until we get back to mammoth at the time we are on primrose.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Thu. Jun. 07, 2018 4:34 am

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Wed. Jun. 06, 2018 7:52 pm
Then it is certainly mammoth vein, as we only run primrose a small portion of the year, and he will wait until we get back to mammoth at the time we are on primrose.
Thank you! Good to know!!! Would it be possible for you to openly describe typical differences seen between Mammoth and Primrose vein coal?

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Jun. 12, 2018 10:03 am

This past year I found Blashak to burn better than my Stockton with less ash and more heat. Just my results. I have 2 bins. One with 3ton Blashak and one with 3 ton Stockton.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”