This shouldn't happen in todays environment

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 9:50 am

The company is in complete charge of a workplace like a mine or a nuclear power plant if you don't follow the regs, or are educated or you are dismissed. If a company doesn't enforce the regs they are complicit in the crime.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 10:38 am

Yes, they can be fined by OSHA, and occassionally have a financial judgement against them from a worker for blatant failures, but they would never spend a day in jail so probably not called a crime. Most large lawsuits to do with worker mishaps are against manufacturers of defective products that caused an accident, not against the employer, except thru workers comp. Workers comp does not cover pain and suffering, just lost wages, medical bills, re-education and training, etc.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 11:38 am

franpipeman wrote:
Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 9:50 am
The company is in complete charge of a workplace like a mine or a nuclear power plant if you don't follow the regs, or are educated or you are dismissed. If a company doesn't enforce the regs they are complicit in the crime.
Just like the bar that sells a man booze & the company that made the booze is responsible for the fatality auto crash...

So is it the bar that is in complete charge ???

Or is it the Company that made the booze ???

OR, do you think that the Company needs to have surveillance videos or pay someone to watch each miner every minute while they are on the clock ???

The customer that buys booze makes a choice to buy it...

The employee makes a choice to follow safety rules or not....

If you think MSHA rules & regulations are not sufficient.....

You don't know anything about MSHA.

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 12:23 pm

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/bla ... 180963303/
I guess this article goes more into detail. Sounds like there are a few things, like that they were( but are no longer?) venting the tunnels and curtaining sections but non union companies are now a problem as they ask whatever they want of workers...longer hours and different extraction methods....lots there. A pretty good article.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 12:25 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 11:38 am
The employee makes a choice to follow safety rules or not....
We had two guys gut and remodel a bedroom a few years back, which included removing ancient plaster. It was a godawful mess. The young macho guy wore no dust mask, even though I had a supply of high-quality ones and offered them freely. The older guy wore good masks because he used to be like the young guy, until his doctor told him he would be wearing an oxygen hose pretty soon. The mine managers are not wholly to blame. But it's almost a culture for guys to be tough, and only the management can enforce the rules. Which some of them won't do unless forced to. If we don't pay the regulators to force compliance with the rules, we will pay more later to cover the medical bills.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 12:51 pm

Nice read Wren.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the exact mask these underground miners wear, or are supposed to wear? I noticed the miner said his wife washed his daily.

I used to work around formeldahyde and yet there were still some who wouldnt wear a mask once it diluted in the air some. That was nasty stuff, about as bad as it gets and the worst I was around. I dont know how they did it. People are careless naturally I think. It is hard to force things on people.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”