Converting to propane

Turbogeno
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pocono
Hand Fed Coal Stove: VC Vigilant II at home and a military surplus tent heater at camp
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Rice and Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water baseboard and DHW

Post by Turbogeno » Thu. Feb. 15, 2018 4:20 pm

I have an unvented propane unit at my small camp. It's got the safety's and I have 2 CO detectors and one smoke detector. I regret not getting a vented one. I worry about an issue with it whenever it's running. I was being cheap. I only use it to help warm the place up till the solid fuel appliance is putting out good heat. No matter what's burning I always have a window cracked an inch top and bottom, sometimes more. I might change out this one out and I'll never do it again.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Fri. Feb. 16, 2018 12:05 pm

CO can put you permanently asleep.

Even if 98% efficient out of each gallon burned the 2% you breathe

is like living in a chimney. All fuels contain some impurities that should

be exhausted outdoors.

BigBarney

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 1:26 pm

David... wrote:
Thu. Feb. 15, 2018 2:12 pm
I have kerosene heaters and enjoy them. They are still available and widely used. CO helps me sleep at night.

David
Ive got a few Perfection kerosene heaters that belonged to my Great Grandparents. My Mom always called it the "oil stove" used to tell me they smoked like hell. Never been brave enough to fire one up but you can still get wicks for them.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 3:59 pm

PJT wrote:
Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 1:26 pm
Ive got a few Perfection kerosene heaters that belonged to my Great Grandparents. My Mom always called it the "oil stove" used to tell me they smoked like hell. Never been brave enough to fire one up but you can still get wicks for them.
I can still get wicks and glass chimneys for many of my antique kerosene lamps at the local hardware store. But even with the new "clean burning" lamp oil, it'll still make some folks sick within a few hours if they don't have lots of cross ventilation.

I spent lots of time living on sailboats boats using Aladdin kero lamps and taking aspirin for the headaches it caused,.... even with portholes and hatches opened.

I got rid of my clean burning kerosene heater for my garage workshop because it was pointless to pay for fuel to have a heater that needs lots of cold air blowing through.

Paul

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 5:03 pm

My wife bought us a Corona kerosene heater years ago, for emergency situations. Depending on fuel burned, it really can stink. Lately I used it in my garage only, and even bought the $7 a gallon 1-K fuel, and it still stinks. Glad I got my Resnor ceiling mounted propane heater up and running again, which by the way, is vented to the outside.
To the OP, heating a room with a radiant stove, with 22' ceilings is gunna be really challenging. Hope you have a few ceiling fans. Also, the BTUs of coal will far out weigh what the propane conversion will provide. You have a pretty nice stove there. Have you tried running on coal yet?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 9:19 am

The OP hasn't been back since shortly after starting the thread. Hopefully, she hasn't been overcome by fumes.

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 4:18 pm

"She?"

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 4:34 pm

joeq wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 4:18 pm
"She?"
She might be a she or he might be a he. Reminds me of a bad experience I had when I thought she was a she but turned out to be a he.

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Think I saw a British movie like that Lee. Can't remember the name, but prefer to forget it anyway. :?
(The Crying Game maybe?) :no1:

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 6:08 pm

He is a she. The vinegar lady from the other place.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 6:25 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 6:08 pm
He is a she. The vinegar lady from the other place.
yep

PJT

Post by PJT » Tue. Feb. 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Lightning wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 4:34 pm
She might be a she or he might be a he. Reminds me of a bad experience I had when I thought she was a she but turned out to be a he.
I once had a job where we had to telemarket once a year. One quickly learned not to use the terms "Mam" or "Sir" until gender was absolutely clear. Nothing like an angry "I'm not a "Mam" I'm a "Sir" and vice-versa to wake one up on a cold mid winters morning.

PJT

Post by PJT » Tue. Feb. 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Feb. 18, 2018 3:59 pm
I spent lots of time living on sailboats boats using Aladdin kero lamps and taking aspirin for the headaches it caused,.... even with portholes and hatches opened.
Paul
Thats interesting. I used my Aladdin a lot during the last hurricane and it seemed pretty clean burning. Maybe the odor from the antique lamps I was also running covered up anything the Aladdin was creating. I always have to add vanilla lamp oil scent to the oil I use in the old lamps or it just smells too bad. Never noticed that with the Aladdin as it burns so hot.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 21, 2018 5:23 am

The Aladdin lamps are well made and with the "clean burning" lamp oil don't stink as much as using kerosene. However, they still produce CO and CO2 and can give you a headache, and/or, make you sick if you don't have good cross ventilation.

"clean burning" lamp oils are still a hydrocarbon and the name does not mean it's non-toxic.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”