Coal Gun S- 130 Install

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 12:24 pm

So don’t u have an issue with ghost flow? Other zone heating when it’s not on?

Or is your only problem the water hammer?

FirstcoalstokerRon
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S-130
Coal Size/Type: pea/anthracite

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 12:34 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 10, 2018 12:24 pm
So don’t u have an issue with ghost flow? Other zone heating when it’s not on?

Or is your only problem the water hammer?
Hotblast.
First I want to thank you for all of your help,

The gravity feeding IS NO LONGER A PROBLEM it stopped after I installed the flow checks.
When one zone calls for heat it's flow check opens and the other zone's flow check DOES NOT OPEN unless it calls for heat both are working as they should. The pipes are cold after the flow checks in ether zone that is not calling for heat.

The ghost flow feeding IS STILL A PROBLEM !

The water hammering IS STILL A PROBLEM!

Any and all help and/or advice will be appreciated. Others have given me things to try and it is warm enough now to shut the boiler down I will let you all know if ether or both of the problems get fixed. THANKS AGAIN

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 1:24 pm

If the flow checks are all doing their job and the pipes are cold as proof of this, then how can there still be ghost flow? Where is it flowing from? Where is it flowing to?

You highly likely have higher friction head within one loop than for the other, though with so many flow checks in the system this is not likely to matter with regard to ghost flow. But since you do witness ghost flow, it seems as if at least one or more of the flow checks are not functioning as intended.

The return flow is following the path of least friction (head), and when both zones are calling this may be when reverse flow is initiating. If one of your zones has lower friction head than your common return line, the flow from the other zone is crossing over into that zone and traveling backwards. The way to balance the friction head between the two loops is to install and throttle a valve within the leg with the lesser friction head until its friction head matches that of the higher friction zone loop.

Is it possible that there is a partial blockage within the common return line somewhere?

I would recommend installing flow checks directly into your circulators.

Are your two circulators identical, or might one have inherently more output than the other?

You may have noise due to unpurged air in the system. ???

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 2:18 pm

What town do you live in? Might be easier for someone in the area to just come take a look. We are all missing something.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 3:26 am

<r><QUOTE author="lsayre" post_id="659932" time="1518373492" user_id="122"><s>
lsayre wrote:
Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 1:24 pm
</s>
If the flow checks are all doing their job and the pipes are cold as proof of this, then how can there still be ghost flow? Where is it flowing from? Where is it flowing to?<br/>

First I want to say thanks!!

If I am understanding my problems right, gravity feeding and ghost flow are two different things. The flo-checks have stopped all gravity feeding.

The ghost flow is starting at the ball valve separating the two zones and heating the unpowered zone all the way back to the return into the bottom of the boiler. The ghost flow only occurs when ether of the zones is pumping, NO GRAVITY FEEDING. Only zone 1 is pumping as I shut off the power to zone 2 yet all the rooms in zone 2 are being heated from the ball valve that separates the two zones back to the return on the bottom of the boiler. Only thing I can think of is the ball valve is leaking. I am going to cut out the ball valve and cap off the two lines. I hope that works.

I would recommend installing flow checks directly into your circulators

I see no need as the flow checks in the supply lines are working. hot on one side and cold the other side, except when there is a call for heat.

Are your two circulators identical, or might one have inherently more output than the other?<br/>

As of now only one circulator is pumping as there is no power to the zone 2 circulator, but yes they are the same.

You may have noise due to unpurged air in the system ???

I think your right as it seems that the CALEFFI automatic air vent is plugged up. I am going to replace it in the morning. THANKS AGAIN

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 3:37 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 2:18 pm
What town do you live in? Might be easier for someone in the area to just come take a look. We are all missing something.
Thanks Rob,

If all else fails I will consider your suggestion.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 5:30 am

Just take the ball valve out then..

Sounds like you have had your own answer to the question for quite a while..

I don’t see how the vale could be leaking, unless the handle is on it wrong? Misleading the direction of the ball?

In 26 pages of thread, I still don’t think anyone has seen actual pictures of this boiler setup? Is it even real? Is this all just to mess with us??

Lol I’m totally kidding don..

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 10:51 am

I can see no other reason that it is ghost feeding. I knew nothing about burning coal when I bought the COAL GUN S-130 let alone installing it .All I have learned and did is because of the help I got in here. I asked for help from the beginning and got it. It was more work and cost more than I thought BUT all that I have learned about my COAL GUN installation came from all of you in here. If you feel as if i am a fake then please just stop helping me as I am 75 years old, to old and to tired to play games. All that I have done is because of the help I got from all of you !! I have done to much work and spent to much money to give up now. With a little more help I think it will be done and done right!! When its done and the mess is cleaned up I will post pictures.. I even found out where to bye pee coal from you guys. Maybe I post to much and if I do I am sorry but I will say THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP
Last edited by FirstcoalstokerRon on Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 11:10 am

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 3:37 am
Thanks Rob,

If all else fails I will consider your suggestion.
I think a fresh set of eyes may solve this quickly. Please post your location and we will see if anyone is nearby to help.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 11:11 am

Don we are in no way sick of you or think your fake, it just seems like we suggest something and sometimes it just doesn’t get noticed.

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 2:02 am

<r><QUOTE author="lsayre" post_id="659932" time="1518373492" user_id="122"><s>
lsayre wrote:
Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 1:24 pm
</s>
You may have noise due to unpurged air in the system. ???
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Thanks Larry,

You were right about the unpurged air, my CALEFFI Automatic Air Vent crashed, I replaced it and no more noise.

I cut out the ball valve and installed two end caps, one in each zone.
I still have ghost flow between the two zones. As I can not see any other place in the basement that could cause the ghost flow, it must be in the crawl space under the living room and/or the dinning room. I will check it out in the morning. THANKS AGAIN !!

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 12:11 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 11:11 am
Don we are in no way sick of you or think your fake, it just seems like we suggest something and sometimes it just doesn’t get noticed.
I read and notice everything you guys say but a lot of times I am not smart enough to understand so its hard to answer when I don't understand. By the way my name is Ron

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 12:17 pm

my Bad Ron.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 12:24 pm

FirstcoalstokerRon wrote:
Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 2:02 am
I still have ghost flow between the two zones. As I can not see any other place in the basement that could cause the ghost flow, it must be in the crawl space under the living room and/or the dinning room. I will check it out in the morning. THANKS AGAIN !!
Form the drawing, the only common line sharred by the two zones is the return leg at the boiler. Are there more shared lines elsewhere?

FirstcoalstokerRon

Post by FirstcoalstokerRon » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 1:14 pm

lsayre wrote:
Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 12:24 pm
Form the drawing, the only common line sharred by the two zones is the return leg at the boiler. Are there more shared lines elsewhere?
y

I think there has to be and as I can not see any other place in the basement, I am thinking it has to be in the crawl space. I have to go into the crawl space as I can not see all the plumbing from the doorway. I hope I find it fast, as I hate spiders and their webs !!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”