50-93 burn time with blower

wunkone
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite

Post by wunkone » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Have a used 50-93 and been burnning it for three weeks now love it. I run stove temp top right front at 400 stove pipe 250. If I run blower @ full have no reostat and maintain those temps I burn 80 lbs. Without blower maybe 50. With blower 12 hr tending is to long don't lose fire but loose heat say stove drop to 325deg. Question is with blower, house heats better but not enough to use twice coal and short burn time. Will a rehostat matter and if so what is good setting for best of both worlds. Any shortcut on trial and error is worth it a bag of coal @ 6.50 isn't winning any awards from me. I read a lot about pa pricing, next season will look to order dump truck and just get it over with any advice on that works for me. Thanks.... Would like to keep local coal company working so I go and pay a little more than TS. But I see prices @ 170 a ton picked up I'm over 300 local.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 10:05 pm

Lots of variables. Some quick direction: Get a rheostat, and run the blower as low as possible without motor strain. Ash pan vents at half, to full moon this time of year. Back dial pointing straight up.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 10:20 pm

Don't know your stove location but mine is on 1st floor. I find my ceiling fan (two foot from stove) distributes heat better then stove blower. Might check it out if it's possible. Other then that, OP's got it right. :) Rheostat works well.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 11:48 pm

This is a game of marbles. You can keep most of the marbles in the stove room or you can spread the marbles around to the rest of the house. Spreading them around requires more marbles.

Given - 400 degree stove, blower on, 80 pounds, house heats better.

Given - 400 degree stove, blower off, 50 pounds, house doesn't heat as good.

With the blower on, it's spreading more heat from the stove thru conduction (of the air) forcing it to run harder to maintain 400 degrees on its surface. With the blower off, all that added conduction is gone and the stove doesn't have to work nearly as hard to maintain 400 degrees. It all boils down to the mighty BTU (the marbles). Your heat demand for the house needs the 80 pounds to make your house comfortable. Slowing the blower down will lessen your coal usage but the trade off is that your house won't be heated quite as well at the same 400 degree stove temperature. My opinion is just run the blower wide open when you need the heat, that is where you will get the best thermal transfer efficiency. Then leave the blower off when the weather is more mild.

Point blank, if your goal is to use less coal and keep your house at the same comfort level, slowing the blower isn't going to make that happen.

wunkone

Post by wunkone » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 12:38 am

Thanks all been playing that one with off and on blower. ordered rehostat didn't know they only 20 bucks on amazon. I'll mess around till I get best out of stove. It's much appreciated. Got to much draft to open ash vents she holds good at 400 425 at 1oclock straight up runs 350+- no matter outside temp. Stove in basement no finished ceiling running nut reading coal. 2500SF 2 story ranch built new so good insulation. I get 69deg upstairs without blower and 73 with blower with 15deg outside. Hope it keeps to the 50lb use 80 lb not worth few degrees upstairs plus basement roasts with blower. Either way black rock saving me money.. how much you burn at those temps do you get better with pea?

wunkone

Post by wunkone » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 1:00 am

You make much sense lightning for sure. Next season I'll put a couple open grates in floor above stove. Also read if put return in far bedroom may move some heat around. Have ceiling fans upstairs too gonna have to play around no doubt. So makes sense stove just basically running hotter with blower so need to get it around without blower. Great stove though she run at low temp say 250 to 300 with no issue when 30deg + outside. I was running old import that I put in beginning of season and that dog ran 400 with 6hr tending or died it had half the BTUs with same amount of coal as this one glad I didn't give up after that thanks to this forum I knew I wasn't wasting time and money on the coal.

oliver power
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 6:05 am

Well, here we go again..........non 50-93 owners giving advice (Sorry Lightning). I disagree with running the fan on high. You want it running as low as possible. Running on high is noisy, and cools the air. You want just enough fan to take heat from the stove, and move it, not blow it. The bi-metallic thermostat works very nicely with the fan taking heat from the stove, as the air moves across the finely finned heat exchanger.

Or, you can do as Fred says, use the ceiling fan to "move" the air, "IF" the stove itself doesn't need to peak perform. IF the 50-93 doesn't NEED to peak perform in order to heat the house, you will save coal by not using the fan. Fred has proven this over, and over.

Myself; I needed peak performance heating 1700 square feet of house, from a 1700 square foot, un-insulated basement. Still, I'd go through a five gallon pail (40 pounds) on average, every 12 hours. MAYBE 60 pounds during the deep freeze.

As for the ash pan vents, they need to be open some for optimal performance. The common settings for the ash pan vents are as follows: Starting in the fall; 1/16th open, quarter moon, half moon, 3/4 moon, full moon. NEVER any more than 5/8 open.

The ash pan door vents are like the idle adjustment on an older engine. In warmer weather, idle it down some. In colder weather, turn the idle up. Do you remember when vehicles had manual hand idles? If you idle an engine too low, it will stall. ........and that's what idling the Hitzer too low does; it stalls (Retards) (slows) the idle fire. The fire then has to brighten up from that low point when the back flapper opens.

The back dial is the governor, which controls room comfort. As we all know, that varies.

Anyone who burns 80 pounds of coal through a HITZER 50-93 in 12 hours, doesn't have things adjusted like they should. The HITZER is designed for steady peak performance if needed. Not a raging out of control blast furnace, trying to overcome old man winter.

Yes Lightning, I agree with your marble theory. wunkone needs to do two things. 1.) He needs to learn the stove. 2.) He needs to find the best way to move the marbles. He also wants to stick with chestnut size coal.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 8:10 am

wunkone wrote:
Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 12:38 am
Stove in basement no finished ceiling running nut reading coal. 2500SF 2 story ranch built new so good insulation. I get 69deg upstairs without blower and 73 with blower with 15deg outside. Hope it keeps to the 50lb use 80 lb not worth few degrees upstairs plus basement roasts with blower.
Ah, sounds like you just gotta move those marbles around a little better ;) Then maybe you won't have to run the stove quite as hard to keep the upstairs at the temp you want.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 9:05 am

Damn OP, ya beat me again! LOL W, You're sayin your stove is in the basement heating 1st & 2nd floors? Or first floor heating a 2nd floor? Which ever, floor vents are a must, the 50-93 is not magic
oliver power wrote:
Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 6:05 am
Well, here we go again..........non 50-93 owners giving advice (Sorry Lightning). I disagree with running the fan on high. You want it running as low as possible. Running on high is noisy, and cools the air. You want just enough fan to take heat from the stove, and move it, not blow it. The bi-metallic thermostat works very nicely with the fan taking heat from the stove, as the air moves across the finely finned heat exchanger.

Or, you can do as Fred says, use the ceiling fan to "move" the air, "IF" the stove itself doesn't need to peak perform. IF the 50-93 doesn't NEED to peak perform in order to heat the house, you will save coal by not using the fan. Fred has proven this over, and over.

Myself; I needed peak performance heating 1700 square feet of house, from a 1700 square foot, un-insulated basement. Still, I'd go through a five gallon pail (40 pounds) on average, every 12 hours. MAYBE 60 pounds during the deep freeze.

As for the ash pan vents, they need to be open some for optimal performance. The common settings for the ash pan vents are as follows: Starting in the fall; 1/16th open, quarter moon, half moon, 3/4 moon, full moon. NEVER any more than 5/8 open.

The ash pan door vents are like the idle adjustment on an older engine. In warmer weather, idle it down some. In colder weather, turn the idle up. Do you remember when vehicles had manual hand idles? If you idle an engine too low, it will stall. ........and that's what idling the Hitzer too low does; it stalls (Retards) (slows) the idle fire. The fire then has to brighten up from that low point when the back flapper opens.

The back dial is the governor, which controls room comfort. As we all know, that varies.

Anyone who burns 80 pounds of coal through a HITZER 50-93 in 12 hours, doesn't have things adjusted like they should. The HITZER is designed for steady peak performance if needed. Not a raging out of control blast furnace, trying to overcome old man winter.

Yes Lightning, I agree with your marble theory. wunkone needs to do two things. 1.) He needs to learn the stove. 2.) He needs to find the best way to move the marbles. He also wants to stick with chestnut size coal.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 9:34 am

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 9:05 am
Which ever, floor vents are a must, the 50-93 is not magic
Thanks for backing me up Fred :yes:

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 10:11 am

oliver power wrote:
Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 6:05 am
Well, here we go again..........non 50-93 owners giving advice
There is 1 way that i know that would solve this issue...
Use profile info like a dating site....
If you don't have a Hitzer.... you can't comment on any Hitzer thread. :lol:

That should turn this forum into several clique groups & do away with the "coal family " atmosphere that is almost the norm here. :cry:

My non 50-93 advice is this.....

If you want to use only 1/2 the coal required to get the whole house to near normal warmth...

Heat only 1/2 of the house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea:

Move the stove upstairs & keep warm with less coal burnt. :roll:
Last edited by windyhill4.2 on Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 1:55 pm

Get up on the wrong side of the bed?? Nowhere did the man mention anything about burning 1/2 of what he's burning. Just looking for suggestions as to making the stove more efficient. Who would know best then other 50-93 owners? Lee came up with a good idea but OP has run one of these & helped me greatly when I started with mine.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 1:59 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 1:55 pm
Get up on the wrong side of the bed?? Nowhere did the man mention anything about burning 1/2 of what he's burning. Just looking for suggestions as to making the stove more efficient. Who would know best then other 50-93 owners? Lee came up with a good idea but OP has run one of these & helped me greatly when I started with mine.
I was going to do a follow-up to further explain my post.. :D :D :D

I reread it & decided that anyone with a smidgen of common sense would understand EXACTLY what i said :D :D

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 2:01 pm

That's what you decided Huh? :(

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 2:26 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 10:11 am
There is 1 way that i know that would solve this issue...
Use profile info like a dating site....
If you don't have a Hitzer.... you can't comment on any Hitzer thread.

That should turn this forum into several clique groups & do away with the "coal family " atmosphere that is almost the norm here. :cry:

My non 50-93 advice is this.....

If you want to use only 1/2 the coal required to get the whole house to near normal warmth...

Heat only 1/2 of the house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea:

Move the stove upstairs & keep warm with less coal burnt. :roll:
windyhill4.2, The opening comment was just busting on Lightning......All I did was repeat what has already been said on the open forum. :lol: All in fun.....

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”