Scored a Puff Back on Video

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:28 am

So last night I pulled another coal stunt and forced a puff back and captured it on video. I forced it by puting a 15 pound blanket of pea and buckwheat size over 40 pounds of stove size then didn't prop the load door open. I waited to see a 20 degree rise in pipe temp then started rolling video. One minute later it ignited, pretty lucky lol. It's not real violent but did belch fire out the open ash door. I wouldn't wanna be peeking under the grates at that moment!

Also, I edited the video into different speeds, first view at normal speed, 2nd at half, 3rd at quarter, 4th at eighth speed, then the last view at full speed again. I did all that editing on my Galaxy 6 smart phone and uploaded from there. I showed it to my daughter and she says, "Oh. How dramatic. It exploded." The fine words of a 15 year old lol.

Enjoy ;)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:40 am

I know you love those "blue ladies" but I'm thinkin that if you keep that ash door wide open when tending, ya can count on more Depending on the coal.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:44 am

Nice job. Glad it wasn't more "spectacular". At close range to it, enough explosive force can make tempered glass be like a shotgun blast. :o

Anyway, here's your sound track - Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a gas, gas, gas ! :D

Paul

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:47 am

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:40 am
I know you love those "blue ladies" but I'm thinkin that if you keep that ash door wide open when tending, ya can count on more Depending on the coal.
Yeah that's part of my tending routine. I leave the Ash door open until the blue ladies show up, let them dance a few minutes, then close it. It's all part of the recovery after adding a fresh load.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:51 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:44 am
Nice job. Glad it wasn't more "spectacular". At close range to it, enough explosive force can make tempered glass be like a shotgun blast. :o

Anyway, here's your sound track - Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a gas, gas, gas ! :D

Paul
Great song to go with it Paul, yer the man! I always leave the load door unlatched until recovery is done with. It's my hoping that if there is a violent detonation it will push the load door open instead of blowing the glass out. But yeah, I see the potential there lol.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:57 am

I captured my load door on my New Yorker blowing open once from a puff back! I can’t find it though lol

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 1:45 pm

I lost my hymen 4 or 5 yrs ago when I threw 20 lbs of pea on top of 30 lbs of raging 'nut. WOW! I think I lost a couple nose hairs!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 2:01 pm

Lee, refresh me, your contraption doesn't have a hopper? AND, I'm just curious as to why you'd use 3 different size coals? Hell, I'd ignite also. :)

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Neat!

Good job catching it on video. And, it's a good video, not like one of those Bigfoot videos. This is one of those things you hear about but never see.

I guess I've been lucky. In all the years I have been burning coal in all kinds of contraptions, I have never had a puff.

-Don

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 2:12 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 2:01 pm
Lee, refresh me, your contraption doesn't have a hopper? AND, I'm just curious as to why you'd use 3 different size coals? Hell, I'd ignite also. :)
That's correct. There is no hopper. I throw a bucket of coal in it directly on top of the fire every day.

My coal comes in bulk. I order stove size coal. The load inevitably has some smaller pieces in it. Occasionally I sort my coal with bread trays custom designed to keep bigger pieces on top and the smaller ones fall thru. I use the smaller sizes to "blanket" the fire with for lower and slower burns during warm weather. It works good. Com'on Fred Bro, try to keep up :lol:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 2:33 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 2:10 pm
Neat!

Good job catching it on video. And, it's a good video, not like one of those Bigfoot videos. This is one of those things you hear about but never see.

I guess I've been lucky. In all the years I have been burning coal in all kinds of contraptions, I have never had a puff.

-Don
Same here.

But it doesn't have to be a matter of luck. I was taught how to avoid it happening by older folks that grew up in the days of coal heat.

Seems to happen most often to those in a hurry to get the stove filled up with fresh coal.

Paul

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 3:40 pm

I wasn't surprised with your puff back after watching the video of you chucking that whole pail via your funnel/scoop set-up. I guess the lack (except on RARE occasions) of puff backs has me really liking my hopper set-up. But like Paul said, I'm thinkin if my hopper was near empty & I just poured on a 5 gal. pail, I'd get quite the puff back. Mine I'm sure would go through my bi-metallic flap & then some. As for the different sized coal--gottcha. :)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 4:25 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 1:45 pm
I lost my hymen 4 or 5 yrs ago when I threw 20 lbs of pea on top of 30 lbs of raging 'nut. WOW! I think I lost a couple nose hairs!
Hahaha! Watch those eye brows!
StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 2:10 pm
guess I've been lucky. In all the years I have been burning coal in all kinds of contraptions, I have never had a puff.
Yeah, it takes the right circumstances. Sometimes ya get the ingredients right on purpose, sometimes by accident :lol:

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 5:38 pm

That’s awesome Lee you made my day!

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 6:14 pm

scalabro wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 5:38 pm
That’s awesome Lee you made my day!
Hahaha! Thank you Scott :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”