Glenwood 116 to Help Out Little Tiget

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Yes, if you use the "pie shelf" it is much hotter. In the top position, it can be hot enough to burn cookies that would not do that if placed on the bottom.

Keep in mind that the left side of the oven is much hotter than the other sides of the oven because of the firebox. So, you should rotate whatever your baking at least twice as often as you would with a conventional oven.

And that thermometer on the door may not be accurate. To test it try using a regular oven thermometer placed on a pot at the same level as the one in the door. If it's way off, member Emery's son (The Stove Hospital) rebuilds them.

Another oven heat helper. The sheet metal cover on the inside of the oven door was originally plated (tin ?) to reflect heat back into the oven. Usually by now that plated has corroded off. A trick Melissa learned from her Mother is to loosen the fastenings for that cover and tuck in the edges of a couple of layers of heavy duty aluminum foil to cover it - shiny side facing into the oven. Then carefully trim and tuck around the thermometer housing so it stay exposed and can still sense the temps. That'll help raise the oven temp and save having to run the firebox as hot.

We've had no trouble getting 425-450 to make pizzas. Only difference is with mine, to get the oven that hot I have to close the damper to the water reservoir because it diverts some of the heat that otherwise would all go to the oven. Switching the water reservoir on, or off, makes about a 100 degree difference in oven temps.

And remember that if the oven gets too hot, there's always the old trick of hold the door ajar a little bit. I've used a sad iron on the oven shelf, or a wooden wedge between the door and shelf.

Paul

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Mon. Jan. 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Of God. I left that sliding ash door open this morning and am waiting for train home. Couldn’t get hold of son, hope it burned down okay, and I don’t mean the house. Maybe I will stick to something like a concrete floor. And walls. And ceiling, if the house is still there. Glad I put brick back in the firebox.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Should be ok. Those triangular grates and the top plates can take occasional heat abuse.

I've done the same a time or two ,....or three....... :oops:

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Very nice of you to admit to it. I felt awful but the ash was particularly fine and no other trouble I don't think. They are not volatile at least. But I do think it would have been too hot in the oven with out the old wood stove firebrick.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Wren wrote:
Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 3:42 pm
Very nice of you to admit to it. I felt awful but the ash was particularly fine and no other trouble I don't think. They are not volatile at least. But I do think it would have been too hot in the oven with out the old wood stove firebrick.

It's one of the reasons why I like Glenwoods, ...,. they seem to be very TOLERANT of their owners. :oops:

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. Jan. 11, 2018 11:20 am

IMAG0121.jpg
.JPG | 236KB | IMAG0121.jpg
IMAG0119.jpg
.JPG | 165.1KB | IMAG0119.jpg
Early a.m
Skillet cookie

Attachments

IMAG0123.jpg
.JPG | 274.6KB | IMAG0123.jpg

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jan. 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Wren wrote:
Thu. Jan. 11, 2018 11:20 am
IMAG0121.jpgIMAG0119.jpg
Early a.m
Skillet cookie
Yeah- there ya go !!!!!

I hope your kid appreciate not just the warmth, but the internal joy that range can bring as well !!! ;)

Paul

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Thu. Jan. 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Wow! That is some good lookin chow Jen. Is Paul teaching you the ropes to becoming a master Glenwood chef?
Maybe I can convince the wife to let me get a cooktop, if she sees what you guys are doing. But I still remember her comment years ago, when I showed her a stove like yours, (at a craft fair), and she told me if I bought it, I would be cooking on it. :cry:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Joe,

Jen doesn't need any cooking lessons from me. A little more practice with how that coal range works and she'll be doing fine !!! ;)

Do like we do - have two stoves. Once the wife sees how much fun your having cooking on a coal range, she'll likely shove you aside so she can use it. And I think that having an oven that never needs cleaning, might help bring her over to the "dark" side. :D

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wren

Post by Wren » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 3:37 pm

IMAG0122.jpg
.JPG | 246.7KB | IMAG0122.jpg
Funny that the electric stove feels so cold now.
I've been absorbing the cookin' with coal posts for about a year, and it's all very useful once you get in front of the range. Going to try that recipe you guys posted recently and thank Melissa! It took me a few days to understand that my whole door wasn't missing a liner just the back of the indicator that is corroded just as you guessed.
My son informed me that chicken pies were in the oven this morning! Never saw any of my children get up early to cook, it was always me. He loves that it is always ready to cook on, and is still a little awed/respectful of how powerful the coal is.
IMAG0117.jpg
.JPG | 272.4KB | IMAG0117.jpg
He also thinks the ash door is amazing for some reason. I like that Wilson's pan is so shiny. I can check the grates in the reflection.
Joeq? If you promise to haul the coal and take care of the ashes and the stove black,(I mix mine with olive oil and it is really dirty)
Well then I'm sure she might develop an interest.

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 5:27 pm

I have a similar pan from Wilson too Jen, and I use that same reflection. I'm afraid of what it'll look like,...in 50-100 years tho. Might have to put in another order for an extra, just in case. :lol:
And you two think that a cook stove in the kitchen (with me cooking on it), will bring my wife over from the dark side? :o Once she sees how much damage I can cause to food, she'll have a scrap dealer haul off the stove. With all her cooking skills, when we were 1st married, I told her she was wasting her talents on me, cause I could eat the box the food came outa, and be satisfied.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 5:45 pm

joeq wrote:
Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 5:27 pm
I have a similar pan from Wilson too Jen, and I use that same reflection. I'm afraid of what it'll look like,...in 50-100 years tho. Might have to put in another order for an extra, just in case. :lol:
And you two think that a cook stove in the kitchen (with me cooking on it), will bring my wife over from the dark side? :o Once she sees how much damage I can cause to food, she'll have a scrap dealer haul off the stove. With all her cooking skills, when we were 1st married, I told her she was wasting her talents on me, cause I could eat the box the food came outa, and be satisfied.
Ummmm Joe, do I need to tell you how Women feel the need to save us guys from ourselves ? She'll need to show you how you're NOT using that coal stove properly to feed the family. Trust her when she says your wrong, step aside and let her do the cooking. Then as Jen suggested, feed the stove, shake and remove the ash, ... and count you blessings. ;)

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Paul, it amazes me how you've got it all figured out. Everything you said makes perfect sense. And I am "definitely" use to being wrong...everyday. Sometimes, twice a day. :lol:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 6:29 pm

joeq wrote:
Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 5:50 pm
Paul, it amazes me how you've got it all figured out. Everything you said makes perfect sense. And I am "definitely" use to being wrong...everyday. Sometimes, twice a day. :lol:

I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful women who's willing to be patient enough to let me get it right the second time. ;)

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 10:11 pm

Awww. That's sounds very sweet and kind and intelligent. If only the world were run by coal burners.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”