First ever coal delivery

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 5:27 am

nepacoal wrote:
Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 4:26 pm
My coal is usually very wet when delivered. Was yours? If so, the coal in the bottom will be soaked if there are no drain holes in your barrels. I would not recommend ever using wet or even damp coal in your hopper
Wet coal should not be accepted.

Clean, dry, serviceability ... that's the rule for fuel.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 6:07 am

My coal is delivered 6 tons at a time and usually comes right out of the breaker after being washed. I actually prefer it wet or damp on delivery to my basement coal bin. No dust whatsoever. It drains into my floor drains for several weeks and is good to go. I always set aside 1000 pounds or so to last me while it dries.

brandonh98
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Hyfire

Post by brandonh98 » Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 9:18 am

Hopefully I'm not underestimating how much water is going to be at the bottom of those barrels. I really don't want them to drain out onto the floor (no drains plus I'd like to keep the floor somewhat clean). Worse come to worse I guess I'll be dragging half empty barrels back out to the driveway.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 10:00 am

If you've ever bought a truck of gravel or dirt, it is also wet. Its part of the game.

If it does get wet towards the bottom, you can always take a pale or several pails out to let them dry before using them. For whatever its worth, if coal is bought earlier in the year it will be drier by fall/winter too. In barrels is going to be tougher to dry it.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 10:12 am

Once the level gets down in the barrels where it becomes difficult to shovel out, you should be able to tip the barrels on their side. Then just use a curved digging shovel.

Paul

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 10:17 am

brandonh98 wrote:
Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 9:18 am
Hopefully I'm not underestimating how much water is going to be at the bottom of those barrels. I really don't want them to drain out onto the floor (no drains plus I'd like to keep the floor somewhat clean). Worse come to worse I guess I'll be dragging half empty barrels back out to the driveway.
Stop by an appliance store and raid their dumpster for large pieces of card board like washing machine, or refrigerator shipping boxes. That's what many antique car owners use under their cars to catch oil drips.

The water will soak into the cardboard and evaporate, living the coal slurry dust stuck to the top surface of the cardboard. Recycle it at the end of the heating season and just get more free card board next year. ;)

Paul

brandonh98

Post by brandonh98 » Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks for the ideas Paul. I have access to plenty of cardboard so that's not a bad option.

brandonh98

Post by brandonh98 » Mon. Apr. 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Well...after one year and six tons of using this barrel method I've decided that the coal is just too wet in the bottom. What I've been doing is using the coal until it gets towards the bottom of the barrels, tipping them sideways and using a shop vac to suck out the water in the bottom. This has been working very well, however it is more time consuming that I'd like to admit. Now I'm looking for a drainage system that I can put in my basement. Something like this: https://www.uline.com/BL_8218/Spill-Containment-Workstations. The only issue is that these are so expensive! Anyone have a better idea??...I was also looking at false bottoms but they are expensive as well.

Thanks,

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Mon. Apr. 16, 2018 5:08 pm

This just might be your lucky day. If your not in a big hurry I think I can help you out.

When I sold the shop I saved two of those containments like in the link you posted.

Hopefully this summer I will get the storage trailers unloaded and they are yours.

I get up to Hazleton every few weeks too.

Paulie

brandonh98

Post by brandonh98 » Thu. Apr. 19, 2018 10:33 pm

No kidding?! That would be great! Let me know, please.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Apr. 19, 2018 11:00 pm

Glad to help.

Paulie

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Fri. Apr. 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Mon. Apr. 16, 2018 5:08 pm
This just might be your lucky day. If your not in a big hurry I think I can help you out.

When I sold the shop I saved two of those containments like in the link you posted.

Hopefully this summer I will get the storage trailers unloaded and they are yours.

I get up to Hazleton every few weeks too.

Paulie
The brotherhood of the forum at its best! :clap:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”