Bagged Anthracite shipped to California?

Redbopeep
Baseburners & Antiques: Antique Shipmate 134 Marine coal and wood
Coal Size/Type: nut size

Post by Redbopeep » Thu. Oct. 05, 2017 11:49 am

I did call the local Fastenal--they occasionally do work with folks to get big things in but it seemed they're more into smaller shipments (e.g. an engine) than a ton of coal :) They said we'd have to make sure the truck came with a forklift as they don't have one there as well. We'd have to work both ends. A possibility and I'm putting on my list for other things needing shipped for sure.

Tractor Supply -- they're pretty nice folks and the one about 50 miles from us is trying to do something but warns that his experience is when he orders something that isn't in his regular distribution system (from AZ) that it ends up either taking 60 days or costing for freight directly from the supplier or (most likely) both. I also called Tractor Supply HQ and they said the coal isn't "in season" yet which is a little bit of a problem (they don't even have this season's loads in the warehouses is what I'm getting from that) but they would try to work with the CA store I've contacted. Should have an answer from them by Monday whether it's a 60 day vs 30 day thing and whether I'd be paying the freight (which takes it beyond direct order from back east anyway).

Costs -- even bagged and paying for shipping, coal stacks up pretty good for our cost situation. On the boat, we pay the marina a steep commercial rate for power of about $0.47/KWH, and if we use our gas generator we're spending about $0.60/KWH, if using our diesel generator it is less costly per KWH but oversized (too much waste) for our needs. We use the coal stove for heating and cooking both (when in use in winter) and thus it's a two-fer. Our Kerosene costs $5.70/gallon here at the pump and that is our other cooking fuel. Our diesel heater is our alternative heating source and it costs somewhere under $4.00/gallon to get diesel (marine use, no road tax) for it. The problem with the diesel heater is downdrafts from the sails and wind in general. The coal stove stays alive through a lot of difficult conditions at sea. The diesel heater we have, not so much. That's all about the location of installation on the boat. Every year we consider replacing the firebox in the coal stove with a diesel burner but it just seems such a shame to do it. Most people in our situation DO just install a diesel burner and use it. Diesel is much much dirtier than coal -- as you all know. Thus--we're back to wanting to get the coal.

The boat is not fully warm with just the diesel heater going--we have fans that pull air throughout but the forecastle and the utility spaces on both ends of the boat are unheated. OTOH, the coal stove is a bit oversized and really can keep the entire boat warm and dry.

northernmainecoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Thu. Oct. 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Can you order coal on the Tractor Surprise website with free in store pickup? I know it's possible to do that with other TS items that aren't regularly stocked...

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Thu. Oct. 05, 2017 2:26 pm

Redbopeep wrote:
Thu. Oct. 05, 2017 11:49 am
I did call the local Fastenal--they occasionally do work with folks to get big things in but it seemed they're more into smaller shipments (e.g. an engine) than a ton of coal :) They said we'd have to make sure the truck came with a forklift as they don't have one there as well. We'd have to work both ends.
If you get bagged coal you don't need for your local Fastenal to have a forklift because you can unload the bags manually. I expect that virtually anyone who sells bagged coal on pallets would have a forklift for loading trucks/trailers. You need to make sure the origin Fastenal has the ability to unload the pallet from whatever truck/trailer you use to pick up the coal from the source.

Mike

Redbopeep

Post by Redbopeep » Thu. Oct. 05, 2017 3:19 pm

northernmainecoal wrote:
Thu. Oct. 05, 2017 1:17 pm
Can you order coal on the Tractor Surprise website with free in store pickup? I know it's possible to do that with other TS items that aren't regularly stocked...
maybe--they said. But it's the timing issue. No idea whether it will take less than a month or 60 days or longer. Our situation is we ideally start using the coal stove in early November. While sure we can use it whenever it arrives I'd hate to be halfway through the heating season when it shows up.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Oct. 05, 2017 8:26 pm

If you manage to get it shipped you have to post some pics, preferably with the Golden Gate in the background. Perhaps start a go fund me page, I'm sure many of the members here would pay to see that. :D

Did you try Lehigh? Reading? Direnzo, I think they have bagged coal.

Might be others some the members can recommend. The trick here is finding the right truck that needs to fill out a load nearby one these places.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Oct. 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Might try a trucking broker. He knows who's coming back empty.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Oct. 05, 2017 9:20 pm

It is a very rare thing for any rig to travel empty into California !!! Freight out of Ca. is usually low paying & scarce .

Redbopeep

Post by Redbopeep » Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 11:02 am

Update: I discovered the $399/ton (60 40# bags) coal sold at Lehman's this year is definitely Blaschak nut coal. They also quoted shipping at $686. The total is actually LESS than shipping quotes alone from many sources. Forget the coal, the shipping is what's driving the cost here. I've got shipping quotes that range from $950-$1400 depending on where the pallet is being picked up. The guy who owns the storage yard where we'll be keeping the coal is a friend and he stores rigs for a variety of truckers. They have been trying to figure something out via their network + a couple brokers. Nobody can beat that $686 from Lehman's. Of course, I could get cheaper coal than $399/ton and that would help a little but not enough.

At this point, unless I figure out something before Monday, I'll be buying the Blaschak from Lehman's now and working the Tractor Supply lead for longer term so that I hopefully have another ton sometime this winter. That will give me sufficient coal for this winter and next winter at the rate we burn. Of course the smarter thing would be to get pea coal from Tractor Supply rather than nut coal -- then I could mix the two for a longer burn. I think neither TS nor Lehman's carry pea coal though.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 11:38 am

Tractor Supply doesn't sell pea coal at all, just nut and rice I believe. And no, they aren't open to discussing it.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 11:43 am

Where in California are you?

Redbopeep

Post by Redbopeep » Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 12:10 pm

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 11:43 am
The storage yard where we'll be keeping the coal is in Hayward, CA but we travel along the west coast so our own location varies. This winter we'll be in the Bay area.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 11:43 am
The storage yard where we'll be keeping the coal is in Hayward, CA but we travel along the west coast so our own location varies. This winter we'll be in the Bay area.
[/quote]

I will see what kind of rate I can get you....

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 3:24 pm

I received a rate to ship a one ton pallet from our facility in Tamaqua pa to Heyward CA. The rate is $378.67, the truck has a lift gate, but you would need to move the coal yourself from there. The coal would be $200 for a one ton pallet. grand total would be $587.67
Call me if you would like more information. Matt 1-570-621-8871

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 3:59 pm

Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 3:24 pm
I received a rate to ship a one ton pallet from our facility in Tamaqua pa to Heyward CA. The rate is $378.67, the truck has a lift gate, but you would need to move the coal yourself from there. The coal would be $200 for a one ton pallet. grand total would be $587.67
Call me if you would like more information. Matt 1-570-621-8871
If I was you I would add the stipulation that he take one picture of your bag in front of the Golden Gate and post it here. :yes:

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Oct. 07, 2017 12:06 pm

There are at least 3 TSC stores in Washington state near the coast that show nut coal in stock. I dont know how well that works out and you'd have to call them to be sure. Just enter zipcodes and you will locate them. They will likely not reorder after sold out. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”