Making Room for Surdiac Gotha 513

ElCamMan515
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker K-Lite
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Pea Anthracite

Post by ElCamMan515 » Sun. Sep. 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Joe - no the medallions are still the silver. They look a little bronze because of the lighting.

Stove cranked out the heat last night warming the house to a nice 72 degrees while using little coal. The back of the heat exchanger never topped over 250 degrees. Stove basically idled all night.

The hopper mod has been a huge success. I can get 12+ hour burn times without tending.

Tim

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Sep. 25, 2016 4:03 pm

I went back a few pages, and saw your hopper mod where you continued the cut upwards, much farther than I had done. Like Franco, and a few other members commented on, they were correct in saying the taller bed would heat longer. Very nice. Now with such a larger opening, you might be able to try some nut through there. Or at least mix it with the pea. Think about the amount of people purchasing "new" (re manufactured) hoppers at those exuberant costs, or even condemning the stove altogether because of the distorted hopper. Now you have "2" you can modify and run with. Should bring you many heating seasons. Good job Tim.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Sun. Sep. 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks Joe

I noticed last year that the hopper mod also allowed me to run stove dial lower and get same heat output compared to before the hopper mod. I had to run dial at 2.5 before and now around 1. This is due to the bigger fire bed.

This was an easy mod and I look forward to the cold weather so I can open the stove up some more.

Tim

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Sep. 25, 2016 6:07 pm

Now that you have that problem solved Tim, you can set your future thoughts on the heat exchanger on the back. They have a tendency to rot out, seeing they're made out of sheetmetal. I had to weld in some patches when I 1st got the stove, and I'm sure they should hold up for a while. But down the road, it would be nice to have a back-up. Now that I think of it, the stove I parted out, that you got should have one. If it's rusty, maybe you can have it professionally patched, for a future replacement. I know the furniture Co. in Pa (?) who sells Surdiac parts, also sells replacement heat exchangers. But they don't look anything like the original, (very boxy), and cost an arm and a leg.
But for now, enjoy what you've got. :)

Sopwith
Hand Fed Coal Stove: surdiac 720
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: vogelzang wood/coal furnace.
Coal Size/Type: pea/ poss. nut
Other Heating: older than dirt thermopride oil burner. Ashley wood stove

Post by Sopwith » Tue. Oct. 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Hey Tim what do you think of these riddle tools I got with this stove? they may be find and Its just me , just would like your opinion. I did just modify a poker to go up under the grates.

Attachments

1004161308.jpg
.JPG | 95.4KB | 1004161308.jpg

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 04, 2016 5:22 pm

As long as they're capable of reaching the extreme back of the firebox, to clear (not only the top of the grates), but the bottom rear skirting of ash, they look good to me. And the poker from the bottom will definitely help too. Have you posted a thread on your stove yet? We'ld like to see some pics. :)

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Tue. Oct. 04, 2016 8:34 pm

Vic,

They look great. Like Joe said as long as they go to very back of stove they will work.

Tim

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Wed. Oct. 12, 2016 7:03 am

Lit Calcifer off in Moosup yesterday. He was rarin' to go, went from cold iron to on the governor in 20 mins flat. Burnin' last years coal to save this years oil. Figure since the money for the coal was last fiscal year its practically free BTU's. I'll put a picture up once I get home from work this mornin'.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Oct. 12, 2016 4:57 pm

It must feel like you're still in S Carolina CS. You should be happy. :)

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Wed. Oct. 12, 2016 5:43 pm

I've been running the Surdiac since September 24th. So nice coming down stairs to a warm house. I've been able to run stove way low when it 70+ outside with no draft issues and easily turn dial up and stove wakes up in no time during evening hours. Been burning about 20lbs day. I'll continue to keep the stove lit until I see 60 degree temps at night again.

Once temps drop into 20s and 30s constantly I'm going to try a pea/nut mix and see how that does in the Surdiac this year.

Confed- you know what they say... no pictures no proof.

Sopwith
Hand Fed Coal Stove: surdiac 720
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: vogelzang wood/coal furnace.
Coal Size/Type: pea/ poss. nut
Other Heating: older than dirt thermopride oil burner. Ashley wood stove

Post by Sopwith » Thu. Oct. 13, 2016 3:24 pm

ElCamMan515 wrote:I've been running the Surdiac since September 24th. So nice coming down stairs to a warm house. I've been able to run stove way low when it 70+ outside with no draft issues and easily turn dial up and stove wakes up in no time during evening hours. Been burning about 20lbs day. I'll continue to keep the stove lit until I see 60 degree temps at night again.

Once temps drop into 20s and 30s constantly I'm going to try a pea/nut mix and see how that does in the Surdiac this year.

Confed- you know what they say... no pictures no proof.
I tried to shut mine down after my test run but my at first skeptic wife kept saying its going to get chilly tonight. I think shes hooked. haven't really needed it during the day but the nights have been between mid 20's to 40's.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Sun. Dec. 11, 2016 6:52 am

Good day all,

Just wanted to post an update on this year. I've been running the Surdiac since mid September with no issues. With this weekends cold weather I turned it up to 1.5 on the dial and let the stove do its work. Woke up to the house at 70 on the tstat running the K-lite in the basement and 77 in dining room where Surdiac is. I've been tending the stove every 12hours.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Tim

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sun. Dec. 11, 2016 9:25 am

ElCamMan515 wrote:Good day all,

Just wanted to post an update on this year. I've been running the Surdiac since mid September with no issues. With this weekends cold weather I turned it up to 1.5 on the dial and let the stove do its work. Woke up to the house at 70 on the tstat running the K-lite in the basement and 77 in dining room where Surdiac is. I've been tending the stove every 12hours.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Tim
Glad it's working out good.

Marry Christmas.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Good evening all,

Hope everyone is staying warm... who am I kidding we are coal burners we ARE warm.

Current oat is 14 real feel -4. Just filled the Surdiac with a nut/pea mix to see how it does through the night. Current temp in house is 70.

Will update in the morning.

Tim

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Calcifer is up and rollin on the govenor. Supposed to get down to 8 tonight here in Eastern Ct.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”