Miner's Choice Nut Coal at Tractor Supply Leominster Mass.??

bluesburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by bluesburner » Sat. Dec. 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi all,

Anyone heard of this? I just picked up a couple bags to see if it's any good. I'll let you all know. Only marking of intrest on the on the plastic 40# bag is Treverton Pa 17881. Any idea what coal this is?

DB

bluesburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by bluesburner » Sat. Dec. 19, 2015 1:51 pm

Found this Googling: http://mines.findthedata.com/l/56631/Crystal-Strip
John L Foieri; Matthew A Guarna
Began 10/06/2010

DB

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Dec. 19, 2015 5:43 pm

I found this post: Kimmels at Tractor Supply

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sat. Dec. 19, 2015 11:01 pm

It could be lenigs coal a treverton mining operation, I have been told lenigs coal comes from a somewhat softer vein then the coal that comes from the mt Carmel, Hazelton area
Complaints I have heard about lenigs is it burns quick and high ash

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Dec. 20, 2015 7:10 am

There are a couple of people in Trevorton Pa. that sell bagged coal. Normally they buy it from small mining operations and bag it themselves. This may be what you have! Then again it could be Lenigs. I used to buy bulk from them but never knew them to bag anything. They have a small crusher and screening operation on site and take in loads from small private mines.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 20, 2015 7:53 am

Doby wrote:It could be lenigs coal a treverton mining operation, I have been told lenigs coal comes from a somewhat softer vein then the coal that comes from the mt Carmel, Hazelton area
Complaints I have heard about lenigs is it burns quick and high ash
Generally speaking, coal from the Western side of the Southern field usually has a higher volatile content, and won't be has hard as coal from the Eastern side. It lights easy, and burns hot.
bluesburner wrote: I just picked up a couple bags to see if it's any good. I'll let you all know.
Sounds good.

Waswood
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 160

Post by Waswood » Mon. Dec. 21, 2015 10:15 am

I topped the stove off with miners choice last night from tsc . I'm not a coal connoisseur but it was warm and red with small flames this morning when I got up. Compared to what I have been burning it may have burned a little faster. But then again I had the air turned up a bit last night with the colder temp.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Dec. 21, 2015 1:22 pm

Is the "Miner's Choice" bag sold anywhere else? Perhaps it's just Kimmel's in a different bag. Is there any address or indication of where it came from? It's possible that this will be Tractor Supply's private label in the future and just be Kimmel's in a different bag. Just a thought. :)

As a bread man, Our company makes and bags many private labels. Shur Fine, Great Value (Walmart bread), Tops label, Clover Valley bread (Dollar General stores) ect...

Waswood

Post by Waswood » Mon. Dec. 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Here's a copy of the post I put with pics . It's from a different place than the Kimmels was. As seen in pic. I'm not sure but it may be reading coal?

Re: Kimmels at Tractor Supply
PostBy: Waswood On: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:50 pm
Update on TSC and Kimmels . I bought a ton yesterday for the norm $299 /ton. After I read the post of a few people wanting more info about the bags and pics I went to barn and took a closer look at the coal. Well it's plastic bags not the plastic burlap bags and it's not Kimmels coal! It's miners choice brand from Treverton Pa. I cut a bag open and it's pretty wet. There's some small stuff but not much different than any other brand I have bought. I just topped the stove off and it was sizzling with the moisture. Since I'm new at coal burning I don't know who sells from Treverton Pa? I'm guessing the miners choice is a generic brand from another company? Has anyone had experience with this brand?
ATTACHMENTS
image.jpeg
(119.9 KiB) Viewed 13 times
View: New Page • Popup • Select:BBCode
image.jpeg
(81.18 KiB) Viewed 4 times
image.jpeg
(161.11 KiB) Viewed 15 times

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Dec. 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks Was Wood. Ya done caught me not payin attention lol

Waswood

Post by Waswood » Mon. Dec. 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Lightning wrote:Thanks Was Wood. Ya done caught me not payin attention lol
I do it all the time lol . Not enough time to read all the post.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 21, 2015 2:56 pm

Lightning wrote:Is the "Miner's Choice" bag sold anywhere else? Perhaps it's just Kimmel's in a different bag. Is there any address or indication of where it came from? It's possible that this will be Tractor Supply's private label in the future and just be Kimmel's in a different bag. Just a thought. :)

As a bread man, Our company makes and bags many private labels. Shur Fine, Great Value (Walmart bread), Tops label, Clover Valley bread (Dollar General stores) ect...
Last I heard,..... Kimmel's doesn't do mining - just a bagging company that buys from various mines.

Paul

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Dec. 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks Paul, I didn't know that. :)

Legendsingray
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 Insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut/ Anthracite
Other Heating: Electric Heat pump

Post by Legendsingray » Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 1:21 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the "Miner's Choice"? Doesn't really matter, I'm all in. Just bought 43 bags from TSC. I'm just happy TSC carries any coal. In Central VA there are no vendors within a 2 hours other than TSC that carries coal.

My thoughts on Kimmel.

Positives: It's actually nut grade. Actually a little large sometimes, but that's fine with me. Burned well, even when I cut down on the air and burned hot when I put the air to it.

Negatives: many of the bags had some foreign debris (sticks, turf, unidentified materials) my guess is from a loader operator digging into the ground at the bottom of the pile. The coal had a very interesting oder (wet feet or dirty gym clothes) when it was getting hot after a re-load.

Interested to see how this new coal works.

chevyman1980

Post by chevyman1980 » Sat. Nov. 26, 2016 8:08 am

I always buy reading antracite as it is the best that I have found so if u got a place that sells reading coal,go get er. as to the miners choice,well I got a bag just for the hell of it,it looks like it holds alot of moister,and very soft compard to reading. im gonna burn it here in a day or so and see what it does and ill let yall know,but from lookin at it I don't think its gonna be worth a pint of piss.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”