Boiler Flue Sizing VF3000

coalmeister

Post by coalmeister » Sun. Jul. 20, 2008 9:46 am

I am in the early stages of installing my Harman VF3000 boiler. The Harman website says the unit has a 7" flue but the owners manual says to use a 6" pipe to the chimney and the stoves flue actually measures 6" on the inside diameter (and something like 6-1/2 on the o.d.) I am using Stainless steel double wall chimney pipe through the garage roof and up another story of the house. It appears the website is wrong. Or am I missing something? - Thanks

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jul. 20, 2008 10:31 am

Use the 6" pipe. It's one of many errors and ommissions in their manual and website. Also missing from the manual is the need to install the small round metal restrictor plate on the combuustion fan intake to regulate combustion air into the boiler. Make sure you install it or you will over pressurize the combustion chamber and force flue gas out the coal hopper.

syncmaster
Stoker Coal Boiler: harmanVF3000 Coal/oil option
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by syncmaster » Sun. Jul. 20, 2008 10:37 am

I have a vf3000 on order so I have looked into this and I think Harman is refering to a square masonay flue when it calls for 7" .
The way smoke behaves it rises in a circular fashion so only the circular part of a square masonary chimney is what actually counts.
So if you put a 6" stack pipe from your vf3000 into a 7" square masonary flue your chimney would be the same size as far as the smoke is concerned.

here is a link that explains it better.

http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/chi ... ce_sizing/

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”