Coal From Tractor Supply.

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 3:56 pm

I usually don't shop Tractor Supply because I'd rather support our long standing local, privately own businesses but hearing about 5 buck-a-bag Kimmel coal had me curious. Turns out all they had was rice sized coal and when I asked them if they could get nut or stove, the manager told me they cannot get any right now because it is "out of season." She suggested I try one of their other stores an hour down the road from us 'cuz they had some for sure. They didn't nor did the other store in Maine they suggested I try. Worthless...........

As much as I detest the place, getting coal for $250 a ton would test my will to only buy local. (Best I can do locally is $9.00/50lb. bag by the pallet).

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 4:07 pm

I picked up 12 bags from TSC today. One local store was out but another one had some left. It was $4.99 a bag but these are 40# bags, not 50#. That will make a difference in price.
I wanted to try Kimmels because I hear it burns hotter so I wanted some for the cook stove.

Something just did not seem right though...bringing coal home in a Prius. :shh:

Randy

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Photog200 wrote:I picked up 12 bags from TSC today. One local store was out but another one had some left. It was $4.99 a bag but these are 40# bags, not 50#. That will make a difference in price.
I wanted to try Kimmels because I hear it burns hotter so I wanted some for the cook stove.

Something just did not seem right though...bringing coal home in a Prius. :shh:

Randy
Glad to see you care about the environment.
Save a tree, burn rocks ! :D

That Kimmel's will burn hot in the Clarion, and the heat will climb quicker. Just a heads up to watch the cooking temps and stir the pots often. We burned a few meals until we (me :roll: ) figured it out. And, the oven temps went about 50-75 degrees higher for the same damper settings too.

Paul

Stoker6268
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Stoker6268 » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 4:58 pm

"Out of season"????

This from the store that stocks pellets and pellet stoves in July.... Did he happen to mention when the "season" starts?

tmbrddl
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 30, Oak Andes 216
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by tmbrddl » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 6:07 pm

I was pleasantly surprised when my wife came home and told me TS (Houlton, Maine) was selling Kimmel's for less than $5.00 for a forty pound bag. Blaschak is being sold locally for over $7.00 for a forty pound bag. TS sold out fast but they have another two hundred bags coming Monday, so they tell me.

Someone needs to bring coal into the northeast via rail, it would be much more cost effective. There is certainly a demand for it.

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 8:11 pm

tmbrddl wrote:I was pleasantly surprised when my wife came home and told me TS (Houlton, Maine) was selling Kimmel's for less than $5.00 for a forty pound bag. Blaschak is being sold locally for over $7.00 for a forty pound bag. TS sold out fast but they have another two hundred bags coming Monday, so they tell me.

Someone needs to bring coal into the northeast via rail, it would be much more cost effective. There is certainly a demand for it.
The cheapest I've found so far was Dysarts in Bangor around 230 a ton if I recall correctly. The time and gas it would take me to haul that home though kills most of the price advantage.

What size coal did the Houlton TS have?

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 8:39 pm

I got a call from the Millinocket TSC, literally 2 blocks from my house, and was told my 2 tons ('nut) are on the Sunday night truck and will be ready for pick up Monday...there should be more for the public. 207-723-6582 ask for Angelo or Chrissie.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 9:01 pm

I checked in my area TSC store it is $3.95 for a 40 pound bag

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 9:29 pm

corey wrote:I checked in my area TSC store it is $3.95 for a 40 pound bag
:woot: :woot: Fill in your profile bud...there will be gridlock in the entrance of TSC!...got be spam :P

Muddy Jeep
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hot Blast 1557
Other Heating: Oil Furnace & Propane Fireplace

Post by Muddy Jeep » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 9:44 pm

corey wrote:I checked in my area TSC store it is $3.95 for a 40 pound bag
This is crazy cheap! At TS's website I'm seeing $4.99 a bag. So far I have brought home 2 tons of the kimmels and asked them to order me a 3rd ton and I should be able to pick it up within two weeks according to the manager. She said there has been quite a demand for it in our area. So far I'm very pleased with the coal which is why I ended up buying more. I don't have much experience burning coal as this is my first year, but it seems to catch quick and gets hot quick compared to the couple of bags of no-name stove coal I had.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 10:21 pm

My local TSC had a pallet, sold it, and don't know when or if another will ever be coming in...although the story seems to change a little depending on who you talk to.

Very irritating.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 10:31 pm

PJT wrote:My local TSC had a pallet, sold it, and don't know when or if another will ever be coming in...although the story seems to change a little depending on who you talk to.

Very irritating.
This coal selling is all new to TSC. They aren't sure about the markets in different areas.

If anyone wants them to carry it on a regular basis, you will need to voice it to a manager. And maybe even put in an order for coal. That's the only way they will stock it. Smart businesses only take on product that they can resale quickly, and for a profit.

Never ever leave thoughts with a cashier........they are there for a paycheck , and most don't give a rat's behind about what a customer thinks or needs.

tmbrddl

Post by tmbrddl » Sun. Nov. 16, 2014 11:48 am

dhansen wrote:What size coal did the Houlton TS have?
Nut. It flew out the door.

tmbrddl

Post by tmbrddl » Sun. Nov. 16, 2014 11:54 am

dhansen wrote:The cheapest I've found so far was Dysarts in Bangor around 230 a ton if I recall correctly. The time and gas it would take me to haul that home though kills most of the price advantage.
Center Farms Coal (Easton, Maine) is the cheapest near me but they are forty miles removed. They carry every size and sell both bulk and bagged.

Bringing it in by rail, whether bulk or bagged would be much more economically feasible. Anyone have any clout with the railroad?

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Nov. 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Like any business if you have an established relationship and they know your face you can get coal, cold calling is useless. I ordered 2 ton in person and the manager told me 2 to 3 weeks, I said fine and he refused my money, he said pay for when it comes in. The coal is being unloaded tonight and he called and said "you have a week to pick it up"...just because we're on this forum doesn't make us special. That, they could give a rat's ass about!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”