Coal Used in Pellet Stoves

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 9:16 am

My simple mind has yet to come to grips with the logic of burning coal in a non-approved stove when it could be sold & a proper coal burning stove be put into use, what am I missing ???

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 9:26 am

Pellets have become scarce. There are none to buy anywhere. Some are resorting to trying other fuels in then.

I went to the Harman site and looked at that pellet stove. Wow that sucker is nice! Mine is a breckwell and operates a little different. The major difference I see the pellets are forced across the burn plate where mine has a burn pot the pellets drop into.

I still think the little feed auger won't handle the coal very well. Also it appears that the fuel is forced across an incline which does ok with lighter wood pellets but heavier coal may not cooperate. Then there's the over heat problem too...

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 12:15 pm

I guess he decided not to do the experiment. :(

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 1:05 pm

The intelligent brain cells won ??

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Freddy wrote:
This may sound like I'm breaking my rule of "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all", but, truly I believe that you'll find that burning coal in this pellet stove will be an expensive experiment, hence, if I save you the cost of replacement parts (or stove), and if I save you evacuating the house because of CO, then I am in actuality saying something nice.

I like what Freddy has to say. But I also "love" experiments. (Especially when it's not my equipment).
I say, "go for it". Keep a close eye on it at all times. Somebody will be able to say..."I told you so".
Maybe it will be you.

synthia

Post by synthia » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 7:31 am

I need to buy a pellet stove which is easy to clean and install.I read a post https://topreviewedten.com/best-pellet-stoves/ where i found two best pellet stoves Comfortbilt and US Stove 4840 Wall Mount. Please suggest me the best one out of these. More suggestions would be appreciated.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 8:44 am

synthia wrote:
Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 7:31 am
More suggestions would be appreciated.
Suggest you look at some real reviews, from people who have used or actually tested the stoves. These "reviews" just seem to be somebody regurgitating sales literature. Talk to friends and acquaintances who have pellet stoves, see what they say. Most folks on this forum primarily burn coal, though I sure some are familiar with pellets and may be able to help. Also try the Hearth.com forum.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 9:07 am

rberq wrote:
Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 8:44 am
Suggest you look at some real reviews, from people who have used or actually tested the stoves. These "reviews" just seem to be somebody regurgitating sales literature. Talk to friends and acquaintances who have pellet stoves, see what they say. Most folks on this forum primarily burn coal, though I sure some are familiar with pellets and may be able to help. Also try the Hearth.com forum.
+1 :yes:

I do have a hard time believing that US Stove would make one of the top 2 pellet stoves, or even top 10 or that matter, but perhaps im wrong. Cheapest price maybe.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 2:20 pm

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 9:07 am
I do have a hard time believing that US Stove would make one of the top 2 pellet stoves, or even top 10 or that matter
My thought exactly.

synthia

Post by synthia » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 3:30 am

rberq wrote:
Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 8:44 am
Thanks i will see that.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”